cents....pffft

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by 3_Legged_Sam, Nov 16, 2019.

1. 3_Legged_Sam

3_Legged_Sam New Member

Bought two boxes of sealed Loomis boxes from the bank. Interestingly, one box- which was sealed but only had customer wrapped rolls- had no interesting finds (at least no obvious ones). Approx 7.5% of the cents were 95% copper in this box, though there were no wheat cents.

The other box was filled with machine rolled Loomis-branded pennies. Not one copper cent. The zinc cents age so badly. It sucked so bad going through that box that I can see myself going through another box of cents again.

Going to stick with just trying to find a 2019 W quarter. Went through a box of those as well. Only found 31 2019 quarters so just based on the odds I'll need to go through six boxes to find one. However, that number is probably higher since those quarters are being actively sought out and removed from circulation. But that's the only CRH I've found myself enjoying...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Anyone who has done CRH events with regularity understand that you will have highs and lows with the activity. Sounds like you are in the midst of a low. But maybe the next box has a collection dump mixed in. You just never know. It's with volume and consistency that you'll create a 'normal' yield for your area, which may or may not be as good as another area...but not as bad as another. Accept that you'll have bad boxes or pick up someone else's CRH dump. Just part of the overall experience.

DatDareNickelGuy likes this.
  4. 3_Legged_Sam

3_Legged_Sam New Member

I expect highs/lows- but an entire box of cents with nothing but gnarly zinc pennies. That's not just random chance. Just a little disheartening.
    Is it possible Loomis is picking out 95% copper cents?

5. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow found 3 W quarters this week going through about a box in rolls. Meow was pleasantly surprised as Meow did not really expect to find any W quarters at all. Sometimes pickings are good, and there are the bad days too. It really puts the H in CRH, the thrill of the hunt. Its really all that Cats need.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why save the 95% copper cents? It would be a losing proposition to think that the copper content could be worth money. First of all, it is illegal to melt pennies. Secondly, since copper pennies are an alloy (mix), they are only worth about 25% of the price of Grade A copper.

Chris

7. Kevin Mader

Yes, it doesn't make sense to me to hoard copper cents. Folks would be better off investing in silver and gold anyway. It seems that if it can be done some folks will do it even if the margins would be slim (relative to silver, gold, platinum) and which literally take an act of Congress.

8. 3_Legged_Sam

3_Legged_Sam New Member

I don't know how this became about hoarding copper. I don't think I articulated my point clearly. No 95% copper cents in a sealed Loomis machine rolled box means the cents have been picked through- whether by hand or machine.
    There's not much that's interesting about zinc cents. They age terribly, the feel cheap, and the shield cent looks like a toy from a cereal box.
    I was looking for something to do for fun while watching my little boy. The point I was trying to make was that if all Loomis boxes are going to be like the one I discussed then there's nothing of interest (to me) to look for.

9. Kevin Mader

No, it wasn't that Sam. Just reacting to a couple of the comments relative to the low % of copper you had in the last box and something Chris said. Lots of folks save copper but there are better reasons IMHO to cash all the cents in since the other metals are more dynamic and better earners. Actually, I reported copper figures when I CRH. But I haven't in a long time and my reason was more curiosity than anything else. Data is stratified many ways...much of the time it's relative to a small audience (and maybe just one).

Draft saved Draft deleted