Central and South American Banknotes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by StilloesEmporium, Oct 19, 2021.

1. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

uruguay50pesos1872dtl.jpg uruguay50pesos1872.jpg

An early Bradbury Wilkinson print from Uruguay

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Warm Canadian

The Warm Canadian New Member

One of the very cool things about South American banknotes, is, that the American Banknote Company had many many "stock" vignettes .. maidens, classical women, allegorical scenes, farming scenes, mining scenes, that were used on many SA notes AND, as a Canadian collector/dealer, its been a hoot to see an image used in SA appear also on a note from a Canadian Chartered Bank and occasionally, on a Domino of Canada or Bank of Canada note! I have quite a collection of ABN vignettes and have matched them to various notes, creating nice ancillary items for collectors!
    hombre071@gmail

4. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

It is pretty cool. You can see the same vignette often on countries as far apart as Bolivia and Czechoslovakia, and then again on US stock certificates!

5. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

dominican2pesos.jpg dominican2pesosdtl.jpg

Here is an example of a stock image. Many of the larger Canadian banks had proprietary images that were only used on that banks' notes and none others.

russia1001918dtl.jpg russia1001918.jpg She has appeared on notes from Ecuador. I guess there was little change of Russian notes ending up in Ecuador or vice versa.

petronius, gsalexan and techwriter like this.
  6. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I think a thread devoted to ABN vignettes would be a great idea, if you're willing to start one. You could post the vignette and see if anyone can match it to currency. These also appear on numerous stocks and bonds -- I always enjoy matching those up with currency when I can.

That is a gorgeous note, SM. She also appears on a stock certificate for the National Tea Company.

[​IMG]

National Tea Co.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    SteveInTampa likes this.
  7. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

This thread makes me want to collect paper again. It was my jam for quite a while.

gsalexan likes this.
  8. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

Also the 1961 "Blue" ABNC from Brazil (P-167):
    Brazil_10 C P-167a.jpeg Brazil_10 C P-167a_R.jpeg Brazil_10 C P-167a_R.jpeg Brazil_10 C P-167a.jpeg

and the 1962 "Coloured" P-174 version from TDLR:
    Brazil_10 C P-177a.jpeg Brazil_10 C P-177a_R.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted