Cent Searchers, Post Your results!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Lincoln Cents, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Lincoln Cents

Lincoln Cents Cents not pennies

Post anything you found searching through cents! Wheats, IHCs, coppers, foreign, anything! :smile

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lincoln Cents

1 box of cents:
    476 coppers
    5 wheats, oldest 1919
    1 Canada and 1 Panama
    And this:
    Unc Token both.jpg
    I knew I would eventually find one, it only took 14 boxes. :) And to make it even better, the 1919 was in the same roll.

john65999 likes this.
  4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I've had some decent finds this week after going through quite a few rolls of pennies. They include a 1920, a 1943D steel cent (my first from roll-searching), 3 1968S cents in mint BU condition and a 1974D in mint BU condition. Hopefully one day soon I will fulfill my long sought after goal of finding a coin that was minted in the 1910s or before.

john65999 likes this.
  5. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

I went through 5 rolls of pennies.

59 Coppers
    2 Wheats

Yeah I know bad results. :(

6. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

I just finished going through 50 CWRs from various sources and only found 4 wheats and 3 of those are from 1958. This is rather demoralizing...how am I going to reach my goal of finding a pre-1920 coin at this rate?

7. CopperJacket

CopperJacket New Member

Hi guys,

Went through a box last week and FINALLY came up with my first indian head cent while CRH (1907) :)

Good luck with seaching,
    CJ

john65999 and GH#75 like this.
  8. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Man, how I envy a find like that. What kind of roll was it found in? Was it in a sealed paper crimped roll, a clear plastic roll or a CWR???

9. CopperJacket

CopperJacket New Member

Hey NOS,

Astoundingly, I found it in a paper BWR from Loomis.

-CJ

10. clorox

clorox Member

Found this looking through my pocket change today. Too bad it's in such poor shape, it's my first proof find! BTW, what is the date on it? I think it's '83, but I'm not certain.

IMG_2577.jpg

john65999 likes this.
  11. CopperJacket

CopperJacket New Member

12. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I think cents have the most promising things left to be found. IMO, searching for silver is a waste of time anymore. But there are a lot of Lincoln cent varieties out there that 99.999% of people are not looking for. So there could be a lot out there. Unfortunately, there's also huge mintages diluting them. The other thing I've noticed going against common cents is how beat up most of them are. Many of them are really ugly. It's funny how newer ones can be really dark, stained and beat up and then you'll get one from 1982 that's clean with good luster.

I've only searched the bags I accumulate from pocket change. I mostly look for:

1983 DbleDie Rev
    1984 Doubled ear
    1992-D Close AM
    1995 Double Die
    1999 Wide AM

Have yet to find one. Hope to though just to say I did. It would proudly go in the collection if I ever do. Have to be pretty lucky to find one in nice shape though. What do you guys look for?

john65999 likes this.
  13. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

I agree, which is the reason why I search cents in the first place. I always search for varieties (especially the WAMs/CAMs), but I have been skunked every time. Most of the time I look for high MS Zincolns with no spots, which are a bit hard to find. The good news for me is that I have found some Zincolns that are in great shape, but the bad news is that I haven't even found ONE wheat!

Here's what I've found in the last 3 months (all MS65-67):
    1985 D x2 (one is my avatar)
    1987 D
    1988 D
    1989 D x2
    1995 D x2
    1997 D
    1999 D
    2005 D x4
    2007 D x5

EDIT: I've noticed that nothing in the new forum ends up in the Recent Threads section?

john65999 likes this.
  14. Lincoln Cents

Wow, that is one beat up proof! I haven't found any yet.

15. clorox

clorox Member

Two Denver wheaties today: a '52 in my change from lunch, and a fantastic '58 that was sitting in my girlfriend's change jar! (Yes, I asked and she said I could have it!)

IMG_2583.JPG

Yeah, it would have gone straight into the zinc jar if I wasn't so bored I was sorting by year. Had some trouble reading the date, then noticed the S mint mark. It's a little tough, but if you look close enough you can definitely tell the field was nice and polished at one point.

16. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

8 rolls today: 123 copper, 19 wheat, 1 Canadian

17. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

I also once found a 1900 IHC in a Loomis roll.

john65999 likes this.
  18. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Okay, So today I got some extra cash so I decided to go to the bank and get some rolls:

[​IMG]
    $10 dimes skunk, not sure why I only bought $10

The teller told me I'll be having fun with the pink rolls on the side and the bright blue nickel roll.
    The bright blue nickel roll was a definite skunk, but I did get a roll with both a dime and a 1944-S war nickel in it. The rest of the rolls gave out 7 pre-1960 nickels.
    I was kinda intrigued at the rolls the cents came in:
    [​IMG]
    I opened them in order from bottom to top as a sampler, the first 6 were SOLID copper. All pre-1980. I am just wondering how long these have sat waiting for me.

Then I opened the rest and got about 8 wheats, 30 Canadian, and approx. 1070 copper.
    [​IMG]
    Please note my desk is a total mess
    :p

Pretty good day if you ask me, got a silver nickel and some weight in copper

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t10176-1243/#ixzz1mQjIYxR1

19. Noobismatist

Noobismatist Junior Member

Heres a few goodies I found yesterday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

john65999 likes this.
  20. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

NICE score on the '09 VDB! I'd put it on a grade of VF35

21. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

I just finished a $25.00 box and kept a tally for the first time of what I found. I was interested in finding an average for copper vs. zinc, and what percentage of mint marked coins I would find here on the East Coast. These are the results:

643 pre-1982
    268 Denver mint
    2 San Francisco mint
    20 Wheats dated 1911 to 1958
    14 Canadian dated 1964 to 1982
    10 2009 Commems
    167 Shields about even on 2010 vs. 2011, but only 2 from Denver
    1 2000 WAM - would have been a good find but it has serious zinc rot.

I was expecting to find more copper and wheats and was surprised by the number of shields as I hardly ever get them in change. I'll do another box tomorrow and see if the numbers hold up.

Draft saved Draft deleted