Cent Rolls of UNC memorials

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Mammothtooth, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

I have a hundred rolls all the dates from 59 to 2004 what would they reasonably be worth?
    Rich, The Mammothtooth

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It would depend on the year, and if they have been searched.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It also depends on their condition. Just because it’s in a roll doesn’t mean they are all uncirculated. Their could be some corrosion due to storage conditions. Coins can pick up corrosion from cardboard or plastics.

Paddy54 likes this.
  5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Correct I purchased several old bank rolls that corrosion, carbon spots, 2 rolls of unc. 43 all dusty and corroded. One need be careful with buying old rolls ..as stated above cardboard, paper, plastics all can be the death of an old roll of coins.

tommyc03 and Collecting Nut like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Last year I priced some coins for a friend of mine. She’s in her young nineties and gets around very well. Most were decent but she had a roll of Washington Quarters, all 90% silver. Just in a regular paper wrapper from a bank in the late fifties. The entire coin is the roll, all 40 of them were green. Obviously from storage and it was stored in a different place than the others. Only worth melt now. She kept them separate from her other coins, which is a good thing.

NOS likes this.
  7. Paddy54

Two rolls of vf to xf IHC that were gargage kept that the paper wrappers, the rack they sat on and some sort of electrolysis that ate the cents down to half their thickness and covered in copper dust.nice dates too in the 70's and 80's.

8. Collecting Nut

We all learn but usually it’s the hard way.

Cheech9712 and lardan like this.
  9. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

Some of these memorial cents, 1982 and after, appear easy to find in low quality. Really pristine it is not so easy. I'm really not referring to wear condition, but free of spotting.

Spark1951 and Collecting Nut like this.
  10. Collecting Nut

That’s the zinc talking on them. :)

Spark1951 likes this.
  11. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Very true, but that’s not all.

Once you get past the fact they are zinc you run into a cornucopia of problems:
    Besides spotting and stains there’s corrosion, die deterioration, plating issues, weak strikes and manufacturing defects. Poor design, poorly made.

The only ones I keep have a strong strike, AU58 or better with none of the aforementioned defects, and the only places you will find these are in time capsule coffee cans and Mason jars holed up in your recently deceased Aunt Sally’s basement (or Uncle Walter, if you prefer).

It’s no wonder few people even bother with Zincolns…imo…Spark

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. Mammothtooth

Okay, who will take them and pay me what you think they are worth after looking at them. You pay shipping 100 rolls

13. Mammothtooth

No,not searched, I don’t collect them, but they have no rot or stain. They have been in my closet. There are 5,000 coins some of the years go for 3 to 4 dollars a coin. They aren’t picked over!! If they aren’t worth 2.75 cents a roll I will dump them in the sewer…….You guys want something for nothing.

14. Mammothtooth

A roll of 1987 cents, small date large date has to be worth more than 1 cent………

NOS likes this.
  15. Mammothtooth

You don’t have a clue!

NOS likes this.
  16. Mammothtooth

Well these aren’t like that

NOS likes this.
  17. Paddy54

Never implied yours were...Just said it can happen ... and one should use caution.
    Look there was a well known member here who was liquidating a huge Lincoln stash. I know for a fact a van load of huge plastic storage boxes. Dates 1909 to the 50's some rolls were perfect...others he played hell with returns as they were not searched and the coins had issues. He did make goid on each bad roll ...but again one never knows until opened.

18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Large date and small dated 1987. Is that a true statement

19. Collecting Nut

I have no idea as I’m not a variety collector. I have over $100 face of Wheat cents that I’ve never searched but I’m sure someone had as some point. I also have over $65 face of LMC’s from 1959 to 1981. Not rolls but all circulation coins and I have an untold number of zinc cents, both rolls and circulation finds, all with mint coloring. I just don’t need any rolls of anything. I’m slowly selling off my hoards. Lol

20. Mammothtooth

Don’t know just picked a year, I am not a cent collector
    Thank you

21. Mammothtooth

Look guys, I would sell these for a cent apiece. Going to the bank and turn them in. All UNC…Shame.
    Close this conversation……

Draft saved Draft deleted