Cent mini hoard

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by beaver96, Jun 11, 2024.

1. beaver96

beaver96 Supporter! Supporter

This was brought to me this morning for evaluation. They were in his fathers closet in a shoe box. 33 rolls of cents, most appear to be UNC from the end coins, I est $4 in wheats mostly 40's-50's, 3 dollar rolls,unc with 1 being the John Quincy Adams, 5 silver quarters and the 1887 dollar.
    I did a quick check on ebay and saw no interest for the dollar rolls, not much for the cent rolls. I estimated 19xface for the quarters and $35 for the dollar, All in I offered him $150. He was going to take it all to the bank so he was happy.
    What do you all think? Anything to look for in the cent rolls?
    PH1.jpg PH2.jpg PH3.jpg PH4.jpg PH5.jpg PH6.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I don't know, looks good to me. Have fun. See your results sometime this Summer. biggrin.gif

lardan likes this.
  4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Tons of varieties in those early ‘60s rolls…interesting to see what you find in that bag…you never know…1914-D…1922 No Mint mark. And the conditions of those ‘68s being the last year of the old Master Die.

Let us know what you find…imo…Spark

lardan likes this.
  5. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Seems like a fine offer to me. Enjoy.
    I'm sure you can offload the rolls on ebay for a (very small) profit. Or perhaps break them apart and sell singles using ebay standard envelope. It's not work if you love what you do.

rte and Spark1951 like this.
  6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Look at it this way, you paid $150, but you're looking at roughly $130 =/- in face value plus the Morgan (& that's not taking into account the silver & copper premiums). And then factor in the "fun factor value", so yeah, even if you don't find anything else, you at least broke even from the get-go...:singing: I need to find a project like that!

7. SensibleSal66

I got one for you. From your wife.... " Clean out the garage. LOL.
    wink.png

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I heard a dealer offer 4 cents apiece for solid bronze cents (prior to 1982) at a coin show. He bought what the guy had and sold it almost instantly to another customer for small profit. As for the wheat cents, it's always fun to paw through them, especially for collectors.

With silver bullion prices were they are, the 1964 and before dimes, quarters and half dollars are worth a premium as is the Morgan Dollar. As for the Sackie Dollars and other such coins, I found it hard to get face value for them at a local club a few years ago.

lardan likes this.
  9. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

If they were mine if there are rolls there for the year of that doubled die that is where I would start. Have fun, you both did okay.

10. PlanoSteve

That's funny!...she told me that exact thing last week!!!! :D:nailbiting: What's up with you two????...sheesh, I'll get to it as soon as I get finished with the coins...(did I say that out loud???):oops::rolleyes:

dwhiz and SensibleSal66 like this.
  11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I get $16.50 for 33 rolls of cents, $4 FV worth of wheats, $75 face for three rolls of dollars, $1.25 for the quarters, $1 for the Morgan, a total of $97.75 FV.

I think $150 was fair, maybe generous, certainly more than a dealer would have offered. Yeah, you can turn a small profit, especially if you find the right buyer for the copper cent rolls, or if you find a hidden treasure. If that happens, you can always pass the consignor more money if you're so inclined.

PlanoSteve, dwhiz and Spark1951 like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I think you paid a fair price and received a fair price. Searching through all them will be fun.

dwhiz, Kevin Mader and Spark1951 like this.
  13. SensibleSal66

LOL. I thought about this when I was sweeping up the carport area. Boy, there's coins all over the place, mostly dime spills.

PlanoSteve likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Love a shiny 68.

15. PlanoSteve

Well, I did all the math in my head & used the words "face value" loosely (probably should have used quotation marks instead of bold).

You used actual face value for the silver quarters & the Morgan, whereas I gave credit for the silver & used his $35 estimate for the Morgan. So, all I am saying is that he already received really good value for his purchase price without even digging into it. I don't think $150 was generous, I think it verges on a "steal", or at least equal value from the get go (or gecko :smuggrin:).

I agree that a dealer would not have come close to $150!

-jeffB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted