Cent Errors Of The 90s

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Old Error Guy, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Old Error Guy

Old Error Guy Well-Known Member

The presses used in the mid 90's produced error types not seen before or since (at least, to my knowledge). I'm speaking specifically of ram strikes, elliptical strike clips and finned rims - there may be other types. Maybe more knowledgeable posters can amplify this.

Anyway, I recently managed to acquire the largest finned rim I've ever seen. The protrusion is well over the height of a cent. It's a bear to photograph, but it's the best I can do. I thought maybe others wold be interested and might even add coins from this era. Although scarce, the market prices tend to be very reasonable.

Big-Ol-Fin---1.jpg

Big-Ol-Fin---2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very cool 2nd pic. thanks for posting it. :blackalien:

tommyc03, Seattlite86 and torontokuba like this.
  4. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

The term "ram strike" has been replaced by "stiff collar error". These are known at least as far back as Indian cents. But they're relatively scarce until the introduction of the Schuler press, when the become ubiquitous. Elliptical strike clips are chiefly known among cents from 1989 - 1994. They do occur in other years and among other denominations, but rarely. Finned rims occur among all denominations and in all years. Extremely tall fins are known among recent, post-Memorial, cents.

tommyc03, CBJesse and green18 like this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Agreed with spirityoda, very cool second photo!

spirityoda likes this.
  6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Here are some huge error cents I have found from the 90's in circulation, funny thing is 95 percent of my errors I found are from that decade.
    cud1997.jpg error2.jpg error1.jpg

tommyc03 and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am curious what are the value like this 1 ?

Draft saved Draft deleted