Celtic potins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Charles1997, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Charles1997

Charles1997 Well-Known Member

I recently won 25 Celtic potins and I am waiting for them to arrive. Does anyone know if a link to see all the types of potins? I’d like to collect them all to have my first complete set!

Attached Files:

hoth2, dlhill132, RAGNAROK and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numinaut

Numinaut Active Member

TTerrier, RAGNAROK, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  4. Charles1997

Thanks! I guess a complete collection is hopeless haha

ominus1 and Numinaut like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I don't know the answer to your question but suspect that a "complete" set (if there is such a thing) is going to be a significantly larger task than you imagine.

Two people who know a lot about them are Chris Rudd (celticcoins.com) and Marc Breitsprecher (ancientimports.com-- oops, looks like he's recently changed the name of his store to https://mrbcoins.com/)

Look around their site, see if Rudd has any publications which might help in your quest.

Breitsprecher has a nice introductory article about the Celtic potins:

https://mrbcoins.com/introtopotinsofgaul.html

TTerrier, RAGNAROK, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  6. Charles1997

I would like to get a complete set of one type, and I’m not sure which type is easiest!

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm. Well, perhaps the best thing would be to define your own set. "Sets" aren't really a thing in ancient coins, although I guess a "Twelve Caesars" set comes the closest and is popular. It is easy to do if you aren't picky about condition and if you have deep pockets, otherwise, prepare for a Twelve Caesars set to take some time (and it will still cost a good amount of money because a few of the emperors are costly regardless of condition).

Nutshell: in ancient coin collecting, you can define your own sets :) The possibilities are almost endless.

RAGNAROK, ominus1, rrdenarius and 2 others like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am 100% with TIF on this and suggest you either forget about sets altogether or be very careful how you define your goals. Both TIF and I collect (among other things) coins of Alexandria and both realize that we will never get them all. For one thing, we both have at least one coin that is represented by just one example and we both know the other one is not selling. There are hundreds of other collectors of this series and many of them have a 'one known'. Some people would decide to get one coin of each ruler but there are a couple of them you are not likely to own (unless you rob the British Museum) so setting such a goal is bound to fail. My answer is to collect coins I like at prices I can afford. There are a million different ancients and almost as many ways to collect them. Don't let other people tell you how you should do it. If you do go for sets, find several to work on at once. I sometimes go a year without seeing something I want in my prime specialty but rarely a week goes by that I do not see something that fits one of my sub-collections. What works in modern coins can be awkward with ancients. Enjoy the hobby.

dlhill132, RAGNAROK, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  9. Charles1997

Thank you! I just love ancients

ominus1 and TIF like this.
  10. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Interesting group @Charles1997 ! I suggest you collect bear coins. I think there is at least one in the group you mention. I am guessing that this may be the only one (or go for bull head and bear coins).... and you can make a complete set with one coin. Otherwise, I think @TIF has it right and you would be hard pressed to complete a set.

Celtic Bear coin 001.JPG
    Celtic Bear coin 003.JPG
    I bought this bear coin for a second cousin who went to Baylor.

11. Charles1997

I seem to have gotten a good deal, I got all 25 for $130

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That does seem like a very good deal, especially if you like them!

RAGNAROK and ominus1 like this.
  13. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i was showing my coins on Peter Davis's G+ "COINS"(how i found cointalk) a few years back and one of my now close peeps suggested that since i had several of the 12 Caesars in silver i should make it a goal to collect them all as such. i, at the time, took the challenge, but on trying to accomplish it, found some almost impossible to find, let alone try to buy, without putting up the house for collateral on a loan for them. so i have since decided that wasn't such a good idea for me, and after buying several coins of emperors i didn't have in silver,( bought a Tiberius and Domition of that group) i have done like Billy Joel's "always a woman" song and changed my mind ^^(even tho i'm not a gal:p) i have coins of all save for Julius and Otho(had one, but turned out to be counterfeit), which i hope to get eventually, but not pressingly any time soon, for i buy other coins(and other stuff too!) i lack or want with that money now. as one of our peeps here had on his avatar, "seemed like a good idea at the time" :)

14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Define your own set. Here's mine :D (it even has a Celtic potin)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Nerva, dlhill132, Bing and 6 others like this.
  15. ominus1

i love it!.. Roger and David in the bottom right?..kool!...i still feel for Syd.

16. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

$130? :wideyed: Ye have made a vera good buy, mate :) and at least 3 or 4 of the set are not potins but other gaulish money. Congrats! ;)

Charles1997 likes this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

[squinting at picture] I think that's Nick Mason with David.

Alegandron and ominus1 like this.
  18. ominus1

Oh..ok..Nick n David..hehe.. me "i's" ain't that good anymore :p...excellent concept tho! frame worthy to be sure!!

Alegandron and TIF like this.
  19. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

One is missing

Pig stain on your fat chin
    670449.jpg

Nerva, dlhill132, Bing and 3 others like this.
  20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That would certainly work! :D

Ed Snible likes this.
  21. Charles1997

Which ones are not potins? I’m not familiar with them yet! I want to learn more with these

RAGNAROK likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted