CELTIC, Iceni. Ecen

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Chris B, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Just picked this up from todays CNG sale. I haven't added many ancients recently. For some reason, I am more selective on the Ancients that I purchase than I am with my world coins.

I need to do some more research on this one. The comical (to me) horse really drew me to it. This is CNGs photo and description.

Celtic 25-38 01.jpg

CELTIC, Iceni. Ecen. Circa AD 25-38. AR Unit (15mm, 1.15 g). Ecen Symbol (Icenian J) type. Two opposed crescents with pellets between, superimposed upon band of three lines surrounded by two lines of pellets / Horse leaping right; six pellets on shoulder; rosette of five pellets to upper left; trace of EC[E] below horse. Van Arsdell 764-1; ABC 1663; SCBC 445. Toned, some porosity, double struck. Good VF.

From the Matthew Curtis Collection.

TIF, Oldhoopster, Pellinore and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

That's really cool, I'd love to see what your research unveils.

Chris B likes this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Man did I really want to add an Iceni coin to my collection when I was living in England. I was right down the road from their ancient capitol. Sadly I never did but hopefully one day!

Chris B likes this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Simply BEAuuuutiful Celtic piece right there. Big congrats.
    I really do enjoy the Celts near abstract art on some of these.
    The horse reminds me of...
    0BABF374-6345-4895-B769-DC780C6CADB1.gif
    Here's another fun horse:
    36589F71-7B45-44BE-876C-96B028023854.png
    Eastern Celts
    AR Drachm (15-16 mm, 2.02 g), 2nd to 1st century BC. Imitation of Philip II of Macedon, ’Kapostal’ Type.
    Obv. Celticized head of laureate Zeus to right.
    Rev. Celticized horseman to left; large crest above head, crescent to right. Göbl OTA pl. 39, 503/1; Kostial 821.
    Very fine. Former: AuctionesGmbH

TIF, Pellinore, Johndakerftw and 9 others like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice coin, @Chris B . I really enjoy Celtic art.

I have one from when Boudicca went berserk (deservedly so!)

ICENI

[​IMG]
    Celtic Britain Iceni Boudicca 61 CE 1.03g Celt Hd r Celtic horse galloping Seaby 434 Scarce

TIF, Pellinore, Johndakerftw and 9 others like this.
  7. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

@Ryro @Alegandron Your coins remind me that most/all of these have prominent knee joints on the horses. Makes me wonder if there was a reason for this. As different as our coins are that part is relatively consistent.

Pellinore and Ryro like this.
  8. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Though not from Iceni celts, these Durotriges AV staters are from Celtic Britain. I've just recently bought them from a private collection:
    WhatsApp Image 2019-09-17 at 20.31.15.jpeg
    Ruler: Durotriges celts
    Denomination: AR stater , minted: Durotriges region (current England, near Dorset); 65 BC - 45 AD
    Obs: Head of Apollo right, devolved to wreath and crescents;
    Rev: Disjointed horse left; pellets above, pellet in lozenge above tail, zigzag and pellet pattern between two parallel exergue lines
    Weight: 4.05g; Ø:1.8cm
    Catalogue: Van Arsdell 1235-1, ABC 2157, SCBC 365, Cranborne Chase (Durotrigan E) type
    Provenance: Ex private collection, acquired: 17-09-2019

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-17 at 20.29.42.jpeg
    Ruler: Durotriges celts
    Denomination: AR stater , minted: Durotriges region (current England, near Dorset); 65 BC - 45 AD
    Obs: Head of Apollo right, devolved to wreath and crescents;
    Rev: Disjointed horse left; pellets above, pellet in lozenge above tail, zigzag and pellet pattern between two parallel exergue lines
    Weight: 3.85g; Ø:1.8cm
    Catalogue: Van Arsdell 1235-1, ABC 2157, SCBC 365, Cranborne Chase (Durotrigan E) type
    Provenance: Ex private collection, acquired: 17-09-2019

TIF, Alegandron, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted