Featured Celtic Gold Coins, an Excursion into Abstraction

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Philip II of Macedon would hire Celtic mercenaries to aid in his military campaigns, and would often pay these warriors with gold staters struck at a variety of different mints. These staters had a laureate head of Apollo on the obverse, and a charioteer driving a biga while holding a kentron on the reverse. The coins contained on average 8.60 gm of pure gold and circulated throughout Celtic Europe; they were also imported into Britain. Celtic craftsmen soon began making their own staters, half, and quarter staters using the Macedonian staters as a template. The Celtic coins soon devolved in style becoming very abstract and truly Celtic in appearance. Different tribes developed their own styles creating some beautiful coins. Many numismatists believe the oldest form of abstract art are the Gallo-Belgic coins of Celtic Europe and Britain. Modern artists like Pablo Picasso and Joan Miro admired and were influenced by Celtic coins.

There is something magical or mystical about these coins that is hard to put your finger on. When I see a bizarre looking Celtic coin I envision strange looking people and remember reading about Queen Boudica, Cunobelin, Vercingetorix, and Commius.
    I had been looking for a high-grade Celtic coin from Britain that wouldn't send me to the "poor house" and finally scored the coin pictured below. The coin was slabbed by NGC and came with two sale tickets from Chris Rudd. It was issued under the authority of King Commius, leader of the Atrebates tribe, who was at one time an ally of Julius Caesar. Commius helped Caesar during the Gaulish revolts of 54 BC, and in return Caesar gave the Atrebates independence and exemption from taxation. The friendship unraveled and Caesar attempted to assassinate Commius. In 52 BC Commius leading the Atrebates, joined forces with Vercingetorix against Caesar at the siege of Alesia. Caesar was victorious and Vercingetorix was captured, but Commius managed to escape. Commius continued to harass the troops of Caesar with guerrilla warfare until Mark Antony negotiated a truce between them. In 50 BC Commius was allowed to return to Britain, and was recognized as friendly king to Caesar, as long as no Romans were allowed on his territory. Commius was the first man to put his name on a British coin.

VA 350-1, AK Collection.jpg Celtic, Atrebates & Regni. Commius. Circa 50-25 BC. AV Stater: 5.42 gm, 17 mm, 7 h. Struck 30-25 BC, Southern mint in Britain. Commios Muzzles (Atrebatic C) type. Obverse: Devolved head of Apollo facing right, with two "hidden face" motifs. Reverse: Celtic horse facing right, with remains of of charioteer's arm above, and chariot wheel below.Van Arsdell 350-1; Bean COM 1-3; ABC 1022; SCBC 65. NGC 4166914-004, graded AU, Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5. Ex Rudd FPL 137, #11 (Sept. 2014), Rudd FPL 89, #19, (Sept. 2006).

Chris Rudd auction tickets.jpg

Nearly all the coins of of this type were struck on thick flans of undersized diameters. When the coins were perfectly centered the word Commius couldn't be seen. If the coins were struck off-center in the right direction the name could be seen. Pictured below is the reverse of my coin next to a coin that is off-center. A trace of the name can be seen on the lower portion of the 2nd coin.

Two Atrebates Staters, VA 350-1.jpg

-England_Celtic_tribes_-_South. Britain.png
    Map of Southern Britain showing locations of Celtic tribes. Photo courtesy of Chris Rudd.

Pictured below is a Macedonian stater of Philip II, followed by 5 Celtic staters made by different tribes showing different levels of abstraction.

Macedon, Philip II, 359-336 BC, Stater.jpg
    Macedon, Philip II, 359-336 BC, AV Stater: 8.59 gm, 18 mm. Obverse: Laureate head of Apollo facing right. Reverse: Charioteer in biga holding kentron, trident below. Photo courtesy of CNG.

HA 24853.jpg
    Gaul, Gironde Region, Late 3rd - Early 2nd Century BC, AV Stater: 8.57 gm, 21 mm. This is a very rare early Celtic copy of a Philip II stater. Photo courtesy of Heritage Auctions.

redones, 2nd cen. BC.jpg
    Gaul, Redones Tribe of Brittany, 2nd Century BC. The chariot has been replaced by a nude female riding a horse, with a thunderbolt below. Is this a Celtic goddess or a female warrior ? Photo courtesy of Goldberg Auctions.

Leu 12, image00007 Lemovices stater.jpg
    Central Gaul, Limovices Tribe, Late 2nd - Early 1st Century BC. Electrum Stater: 6.59 gm, 17 mm. Apollo's head is more devolved and spirals are emanating from his mouth. A bird is riding on the back of this Celtic horse. Photo courtesy of Leu Numismatik AG.

HA 32001.jpg Gaul, Parisii Tribe, Circa 100 - 50 BC, AV Stater: 7.36 gm, 22 mm. Apollo's head and the Celtic horse are showing greater abstraction. Above the horse is a star canopy and below the chariot wheel now resembles a five-petal flower. The city of Paris is named after the Parisii tribe who lived in that area. Photo courtesy of Heritage Auctions.

Baldwin's, Ambiani Stater.jpg
    Gallo-Belgic, Ambiani Tribe, Circa 80 - 70 BC, AV Stater: 6.45 gm, 18 mm. Now we can see extreme abstraction. Apollo's profile is barely discernible and the Celtic horse more devolved. Photo courtesy of A.H. Baldwin & Sons Ltd.

References:
    Wikipedia
    Celtic Coinage of Britain, 3rd Edition, Van ArsDell
    Celtic Coin Index, Van Arsdell
    Article from The Old Currency Exchange: The Enigmatic Coinage from the Celtic Tribes of Britain / 3-31-2015
    Coin Week Article by Mark Markowitz: The Celtic Coinage of Gaul / 1-3-2019

CT members are welcome to post their favorite Celtic coins on this thread :D.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Pellinore, Tejas, eparch and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great post! And super congrats capturing that Commius Stater of the Atrebates. Very nice. I liked how you illustrated haw the Celtic Stater “Evolved” into THEIR style. :) I really like the way the Celts depict the Horse. A very similar style across the tribes.

Kugelwange type

[​IMG]
    Celtic Imitation Philip II 2nd C BCE AR Drachm Kugelwange type- Danube Valley - Ex: Pecunum Auction

Fat horse
    [​IMG]
    Celt Imit Philip II 2nd C BCE AR Drachm Zeus Horse pellet-in-annulet above Kugelwange type- Danube Valley - Kostial 508 OTA 204

eparch, galba68, Bing and 5 others like this.
  4. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Celtic coins are very charming and artistically ahead of their time. Here's my Parisii stater, with toning that suggests an older pedigree but I've yet to find one:

Parisii.jpg

Pellinore, eparch, Finn235 and 13 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

[​IMG]
    CELTIC BRITAIN
    the Iceni
    Time of Queen Boudicca, 61 AD.
    AR Unit (Quinarius size)
    1.03 g
    Obv: Celticized head right
    Rev: Celticized horse galloping right.
    Ref: vArs.794.

eparch, Finn235, Bing and 4 others like this.
  6. Al Kowsky

Alegandron, Thanks for the feedback :). You've got two handsome Danube Valley drachms. I like the prancing horse on the 1st coin :D.

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Al Kowsky

AncientJoe, Your Parisii stater is a real treasure :jawdrop:! This coin type is probably the most sought after of all the Celtic coins, & your example is as fine as they come :D. Examples of the quality of your coin have sold at auction for over 50 K. Thanks for posting :cool:.

NewStyleKing and AncientJoe like this.
  8. Alegandron

I agree, I really like @AncientJoe ’s Stater. The Horse REALLY stands out with the right amount of wear. The contrast is beautiful. Congrats on finding this wonderful coin!

AncientJoe likes this.
  9. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

I love the art. I love the silver Thasos Thracian imitations of the Roman imitations of the Herekles types. I posted a couple from an auction house recently.

10. Al Kowsky

Alegandron, Thanks for posting another gem :D! This coin type is very important for historical reasons ;). Queen Boudicca led the warriors against the Roman fort at Camulodunum, destroying the fort & killing all the civilians :eek:. She was the definition of the phrase "she-wolf". Who said women can't fight :smuggrin:?

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Alegandron

LOL, that is why I captured this Gal. With 6 daughters, I KNOW they can fight. One of mine was FIRST Draft pick in a major City Roller Derby league. She went on to be MVP for her rookie year.

She was 33 with 2 Kids!

12. Al Kowsky

NewStyleKing, You're right on with the Celtic imitations of the Thasos Tets :D! They are a study unto themselves. About 16 years ago The Celator ran a series of articles by Reid Goldsborough "Barbarism, Art, and Thracian Tetradrachms" that really enlightened the collecting community on these wonderful coins.

NewStyleKing likes this.
  13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

14. Al Kowsky

James, Those are two fascinating drachms, thanks for posting :D. The top coin looks to be from the Eastern Celts, Danube Region. The portrait of Heracles now looks like a Sun god with that radiating hair, & Zeus on the reverse holding the eagle is still close to the original design. I like the amphora in the background, but the raised line over the feet of Zeus has me confused :confused:. Could it be a spear o_O? The bottom coin looks to be Gallo-Belgic & highly devolved :). Could the coin have been broken to make small change o_O? If only coins could talk :smuggrin:...

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Here is how I have them described in my catalog:
    Lower Danube Celt.jpg
    LOWER DANUBE CELTS
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Stylized head of Herakles with wild hair, right
    REVERSE: Stylized Zeus seated left holding an eagle, kantharus to left
    Struck by the Lower Danube Celts, 2d-1st Century BC
    2.9g, 20mm,
    CCCBM I 217, Kostial 896
    ex JAZ Numismatics
    EASTERN CELTS.jpg
    EASTERN CELTS, DACHREITER TYPE
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Celticized head of Zeus right
    REVERSE: Celticized horseman riding left; wheel of four spokes above
    Struck by the Skordoski in Syrmia, 2d Century BC
    1.87g, 14mm
    OTA 188/2-3

P.S. I was just too lazy earlier to look into my catalog. Bad night of rest. It happens now and again.

Alegandron and Johndakerftw like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted