Ceaning or Die polish

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Steve66, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I apologize TO DOUG and all the older members!!! What I should have said and what I will say in the future is the information may be misleading in the post. Hopefully, when I learn to be more civil, some members will refute what I post as I follow this old subject. Then we may finally reach a point that is in agreement with United States Mint employees who actually made, polished, and used the dies for our coinage.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

IMO there is some information in the following post that can be proven to be inaccurate. I shall correct the inaccuracies as I see them and tomorrow will post proof in photos. For those who cannot wait...there is a 1926 Albanian 5 Fr and an 5 Lirot from Israel posted in a cleaning thread by me. All % used below are strictly MO and used to make my point.

4. Insider

BINGO! You win the prize. This alone should have shot down the "Everything is Cleaning crew." But Noooooooooo.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Actually you might want to read Doug's post you quoted again. He is 100% correct.
    Your reply says the same thing that he did but your saying what he said is garbage? You should think about this a bit. You both said the same thing.
    Scratches leave both a raised line and an incuse line.

6. Insider

BINGO! Another winner...This alone should have shot down the "Die Polish Don't Do Dat" Crew.

7. Insider

BINGO! Another winner!

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm going to leave this thread. This has turned into something personal for insider.

9. Insider

Now tins is a very interesting opinion. I hope you provide strong evidence for this opinion further down the thread. I should be especially interested to learn when and who taught you that.

10. Insider

PLEASEEEEEEEE. Don't refute the belief that Mint Die Polish cannot ever cross each other WITH ACTUAL, CERTIFIABLE PROOF that they do.

11. Insider

OK, Let's get really into the subject to make it more complicated for beginners. U.S. Mint Die Polish on a coin can be RAISED or INCUSE. The incuse lines are NOT ACTUALLY DIE POLISH. I am going to bed now....to be continued.

When I log on tomorrow I look for your explanation of how the mint can leave incuse scratches on a coin.

12. Insider

I'm really sorry you feel this way. An educated collector is what we all (me included) wish to become. It's not personal. It is educational. Some posters on this OLD thread are able to pose questions and back up their opinion with things they see on coins; others don't. Perhaps they had bad information along the line.

Hope you look in again because I'm having fun putting this puppy to bed - once and for all.

I'll let you off the hook...incuse HUB polishing lines are found on coins. It's an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT aspect of grading /authentication. I'll Post some photos and explain those lines later in this thread.

13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Doug doesn't consider the process that causes criss crossing lines, "die polishing". You will find that an argument with Doug will usually result in an argument about semantics.

Insider likes this.
  14. Insider

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to try to get Doug to reconsider his definitions and join the 99 Percent of his contemporaries. IT IS NOT PERSONAL!

Here is the deal...When I was a YN (That "name" did not exist. Back in the dark ages there were no YN's - just young kids who traded/collected coins.), I took a circulated Buffalo 5c to a well-known successful coin dealer in Washington, DC because I saw what looked like "letters" under the Indian's chin. The dealer blew me off. Said it was nothing, not even letters! I still could see "funny" (they were reversed) letters under the chin. YEARS LATER, as a young man, I learned what clash marks were and how they were made. From that moment on I tried to learn, read, everything I could about coins, how they are made, etc. I also made a promise to myself to share what I learned in many grading/authentication seminars every chance I had. Especially in cases where incorrect information was given.

Would you believe that at an ANA seminar in the 1980's, one professional TPGS instructor told the class that the black spots on Morgan dollars were caused when the sawdust used at the mint to dry the planchets ignited and burned when the coin was struck leaving the charred residue behind? How about this one: In the early 1970's the ANA defined the characteristic treatment we call whizzing today as cleaning? IT'S ALL SEMANTICS RIGHT ... NOT!

I learn something new every day looking at coins and talking with collectors & dealers about coins. This is not the "spew" you hear from everyone. I really do learn new things and like to pass them on and discuss them. There is a very "informed" group of collectors/dealers here. They have taught me things already...including to make an effort to stay civil in the face of ignorance (As in lacking training or knowledge about a particular subject)!

I'll get back to comments on this thread later.

15. Insider

I am virtually certain of the answer to your question; nevertheless, I'm going to make sure I get it 100% accurate before posting. For now...They do not polish dies in the press. I have seen pressmen wipe dies with a rag while they were in a STOPPED press. It would be very interesting to be at the Mint next to a press in the morning when the men get to work to see (what they do) if they touch the dies during start-up.

tommyc03 likes this.
  16. Insider

In the interest of education: Please explain who taught you this and when??? Where can I find this information published. Is it possible for you to provide us with a photo? On second thought, that obviously will not help as at least one member above (and I'll guarantee hundreds others from what I read posted other places) cannot tell what the lines look like in the photo (Post#21).

17. Insider

LOL...yeah, what do they know! So Sorry, the devil made me type that :)

18. Insider

IMO, you will not be wasting your time because Doug knows a lot about coins. I think we can bring him around - eventually. Especially, with the great examples of Mint Die Polish on genuine coins in this string. He is the outsider. He refutes the evidence with WORDS/BELIEFS devoid of actual evidence for all to see.

19. Insider

Perhaps. IMO, you are very knowledgeable so far.

20. Insider

BINGO! Are you a TPG or numismatic seminar teacher? Great explanation!

21. Insider

What is wrong here? I guess I'm not the first to ask for evidence. What are the rules concerning CONTINUED misinformation on this website?

Draft saved Draft deleted