Ceaning or Die polish

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Steve66, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

Hello folks,
    Can someone tell me if the lines on this coin are cleaning or die polish marks.
    I would appreciate the help.
    IMG_7769.jpg IMG_7779.jpg IMG_7780.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Everyone else seems to have gone to bed so I will guess die scratches.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

That appears to be from cleaning the scratches go from the fields to the devices while die polish lines are usuay just the fields as the devices are recessed not raised

bsowa1029 and tommyc03 like this.
  5. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

I cant take very good pics, but Nearly all of the lines that I'm seeing are in the fields and not on the raised areas. The lines also do not cover the whole coin, like I have seen on other cleaned coins. They are just here & there.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Your photos should be taken from directly overhead and show the whole coin. While improper cleaning or polishing may be restricted to one small area, it is helpful to judge it by viewing the entire coin.

Chris

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Most of what I'm seeing looks like die polish: patches of short lines that end at the raised devices. Only the first photo shows a few widely spaced hairlines crossing a shield like device.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

On that last photo, there are a number of parallel deep scratches beneath the horse's hooves that are clearly incuse. In the first (obverse) photo, some of the lines look like they're raised from the coin's surface (i.e. die scratches or polish marks), but it looks like there are really deep gouges in the field between "R G" and the bust.

I'm going to have to go with "extremely harsh cleaning". :(

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are many different things besides a harsh cleaning that can cause scratches and hairlines on a coin. Simple rough or careless handling causes them. Sliding a coin across a counter or table can cause them, wiping a coin with a cloth can cause them, even wiping a coin with your finger can cause them. The possible causes are pretty much endless.

It is also important to realize that it is extremely common to find coins where only the fields, or only the devices, as well as both, will show hairlines and light scratches from rough handling and or harsh cleaning. And it is even more important to realize and understand that any and every scratch or hairline on a coin, regardless of its cause, creates both a raised line and an incuse line on the surface of the coin. This is simple physics, you cannot have one without also having the other.

I'm saying this because people use certain diagnostics to determine if the lines on a coin are the result of die polishing or post strike damage. But some of the most commonly used diagnostics will not always determine one from the other. So it then becomes important to know what diagnostics will determine one from the other. And they are fairly simple.

Lines caused by die polishing cannot criss cross, they are always parallel to each other - always. That said, it is common to find lines on a coin that were caused by both die polishing, and post strike damage (scratches and hairlines caused by other things). And rather obviously the post strike lines can criss cross the lines caused by die polishing. But when that is seen, the lines caused post strike are often ignored and incorrectly attributed to the die polishing as well.

Lines on a coin caused by die polishing also have a certain look that is distinctly different from lines caused by post strike damage. It is hard to explain in words and is something that is best learned by in hand experience. But the trained eye can easily distinguish one from the other.

That said, if you look at the 2nd and 3rd picture of the OP's coin you will see spots above the horse's legs and below its head. It is my belief that there were probably similar spots elsewhere on the coin that somebody tried to wipe off the coin by using a cloth, resulting in the lines seen on the coin in various places.

So no, those lines were not caused by die polishing.

geekpryde, swamp yankee and ldhair like this.
  10. mercedes86david

mercedes86david New Member

looks like someone took a rag to it and tried to clean it

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

12. GDJMSP

That group of pictures confirms what I said above, You can even see the remains of the spots where they tried to remove them.

13. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

14. GDJMSP

And it is.

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Funny how the "cleaning" hairlines on the OP's coin are identical to the "cleaning" hairlines on the coin posted on Ebay.

I'm not arguing that the OP coin has not been cleaned - there appear to be hairlines from cleaning on it. But I'm not nearly as convinced as you are that they aren't die polish. There appears to be some of both going on.

The coin on Ebay does not appear to have been cleaned - that is all die polish.

And die polish lines can, and absolutely do, criss cross each other. They can also travel up onto the devices.

16. ksparrow

Interesting, though that the second coin has patches of lines in the same locations as the one in the OP. The only area of concern to me as far as cleaning is under the bust truncation. In the second coin this area is toned and difficult to evaluate. So, I still think that most of what I'm seeing is die polish.
    (I was still composing while Jason was posting)

17. Steve66

Steve66 Coin People

There are some abrasions on my coin (I believe from the packaging it was in) but other than that, it pretty much looks like the coin on ebay.
    Why do you think mine has been cleaned and the other has not?

18. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

They may not specifically be from a cleaning, but those are definitely scratches from the coin being rubbed by something.
    Die polish lines will be raised metal on the surface of the coin.

19. GDJMSP

Sorry but you are wrong, on both counts.

20. ksparrow

21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

With this back and forth about die polish lines going any which way, is someone standing over the polisher at the mint in the tool room every second to see if they always follow procedure. Or are the dies polished while in the press always? Just curious. I'm seeing die scratches above the shield and B in the top photo (raised lines) and cleaning marks.

Draft saved Draft deleted