Cc Trade dollar thoughts?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Newbee03, Mar 19, 2023.

1. mbogoman

mbogoman Active Member

You need to study your Trade Dollar books and auction records before you start buying raw coins. That is a VERY obvious fake and easily spotted a mile away. For one thing, it has a Type 1 reverse. Type 1 reverses were last used in 1876. Next!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

It is unanimous. This trade dollar was minted in Beijing... The US mint didn't use cartoon faces for Lady Liberty.

David Betts likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Buying a Trade Dollar that isn't certified and slabbed, is like playing Russian roulette, IMHO.

Jeffjay, David Betts and lordmarcovan like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’d pass on this one. If you want one, I’d buy a certified one or buy it from a reputable coin dealer.

6. Newbee03

Newbee03 Well-Known Member

Thank you guys on your opinions

7. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I‘d rather consider playing Russian roulette than buying raw trade dollars.

Rheingold likes this.
  8. Newbee03

Newbee03 Well-Known Member

Mannnn I fill bad for who ever bought this in the auction they spent 2100 dollars on it plus a 10 percent royalty so 2310

9. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

I was asked to look at some coins that a lady wanted to sell about 15 years ago. She had about 10 coins spread out on the table. One was this baby. She kept pushing the trade dollar & said she attended a local coin club. Not knowing much about several of the world coins, I couldn’t make an offer. With no internet at the rural location, she let me take photos & I’d get back to her.
    Back home on my laptop I found the wrong reverse. Didn’t get right back to her. Two weeks later she called, irate. Did I want to buy her coins, or what? I calmly explained the problem. She never called back
    I still don’t have one. $75 was a deal. A bad deal

10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I immediately zoomed in on the weak dentils and and didn't check the rev die type. My bad. the 78CC with type 1 rev is a very commonly encountered fake.

Draft saved Draft deleted