catalog value on 1996 peru olympic coins!??

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by the_postman, Jun 18, 2005.

1. the_postman

the_postman New Member

Need to know catalog value on 1996 peru olympic coin from peru.. one side shows torchbearer, other side shows a lady sitting ona throne? with a shield on the floor, and a wreath on a pillar... the description below might help as well...

RARE pattern 20 Neuvos Soles, struck in STERLING SILVER to a MUSEUM proof finish. These patterns were never issued into general circulation, a mintage of only 100 pieces in each of eight trial metals means that this full-sized (38mm) brilliant Proof Crown can only be owned by very few collectors. Examples of these rare Patterns were placed into the National Peruvian coinage historical collection by the Central Bank of Peru. This crown commemorates the Berlin Olympics of 1936 and features the TORCHBEARER reverse, golden brass proof quality.

there is a silver one as well.. I have no idea the catalog value of these coins or how much to pay for them..

HELP!!!!!!!!
    Steve
    arribaperu@siscom.net

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I assume that your second paragraph is a quote from the hype promulgated by the seller. It sounds like the kind of bull that the guys on the TV Coin Vault and Home Shopping Network spew out so lustily.

As of the 2005 32nd Ed. Standard Catalog of World Coins, no 1996 Olympic commems have made it into the catalog. The most recent 20 Nuevo Soles listed is a 1992 proof 1 oz. silver, with no mintage shown and a Krause value of $22.50, about three times its bullion value. There are no Peruvian patterns listed after 1988.

• Do you like the way the coin looks?
    • Is it being offered at bullion value plus a reasonable premium?
    • Can you afford it, even if it can't be resold for what you pay (including S/H if you're not picking it up in person)?
    • Does it fit in with the rest of your collection, or with one of your non-numismatic interests?

My advice: If you can answer all those questions affirmatively, buy it!.

Otherwise, move on.

4. the_postman

the_postman New Member

originally from ICB Sale, Glendining's (May 1999) From the ICB ?????

Maybe I should have included this the first time around--it's originally from ICB sale from ICB Sale, Glendining's (May 1999) Lot # 402 - From the ICB Auction of Glendining's, May 1999..

I have no idea what ICB is, but I am guessing that is why it isn't in the krause book...

I collect peru coins, which is why I interested, but I can't find any info about this coin on the internet, or about the icb or glendinings!!?
    Steve

5. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Coming from the International Coin Bureau its either a non-coin or a Non Circulating Legal Tender, which is pretty much the same thing. It never saw the inside of the Peruvian Mint. :rolleyes:

>> Glendinings << is an auction house in England.

6. migueldelrio

migueldelrio New Member

7. migueldelrio

migueldelrio New Member

8. migueldelrio

migueldelrio New Member

According to the 2018 Standard Catalog of WORLD COINS 45th Edition, the last authorized pattern strike was in 1988. It's unlikely that any of these 1996 Olympics Centennial coins actually have residence in Peru. The company that tried to sell to the Peruvian goverment, a firm in London named the International Currency Bureau, Ltd, them went bankrupt.

Draft saved Draft deleted