Catalog for German states?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Seba79, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Hey, boys, I'd appreciate some help with this. I am looking for a catalogue specializing in German paper money, I have the catalogue "Die deutschen Banknoten ab 1871" but it does not cover the German states. Other than the Krause?

Thanks!

20180724_080520.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rian

Rian Member

4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I spent a little time researching in German. I found that there is a PiRi catalog that the companies auctioning German states notes referenced. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find the catalog itself. @chrisild könntest du uns helfen?

5. lettow

lettow Senior Member

What time period are you looking for? Pre-1871 or post 1871?

6. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, i looking for german post 1871.

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Sorry, I'm busy these days. ;) But at least I know what PiRi is short for. That is, or rather was, a paper money catalog ("Papiergeld Spezialkatalog") by Albert Pick and Jens-Uwe Rixen. Here is an Amazon listing: https://www.amazon.de/Papiergeld-Spezialkatalog-Deutschland-Albert-Pick/dp/3924861277 I don't think the publishing house (Gietl-Battenberg) still has it ...

Christian

Seba79 and Seattlite86 like this.
  8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Now I do not collect paper money, but as far as I know, the German states did not issue paper money once the Deutsches Reich was founded. (Apart from notgeld issues, that is.) But I could be wrong. :)

Christian

9. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Ok guys, to be more specific, a few days ago I received as a gift a group of German banknotes from different states, the catalogue I have, "die deutschen banknoten ab 1871" by Holger Rosenberg, does not cover them. I read that Grabowski's catalog might. Could anyone please give me some help on this? Or recommend another catalogue? The specialized edition of the Krause I find it a little weak in information. I'd like to get a little more familiar with this, and maybe start a collection of German banknotes.

Thanks for the help!

The banknotes that i have are these, and others from Saxony too

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

10. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Christian. If it's the right one, I'll try to get it.

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Duh. My previous reply shows how much, or rather little, I know about those older banknotes. ;) This is the current (2017) edition of the Rosenberg catalog https://www.battenberg-gietl.de/Sammeln/Buecher/Buchdetails?name=die-deutschen-banknoten-ab-1871 - and yes, apparently it does not list the state issues (which do exist). In the first years of the Deutsches Reich (monarchy and Weimar Republic, I think) some states still had their own paper money ...

Whether the "PiRi" has them, I don't know. Here are a couple from Bavaria:
    https://www.bavarikon.de/object/bav:BSB-CMS-0000000000002112

Christian

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Well, finally the catalogue recommended by @chrisild, "Papiergeld Spezialkatalog" seems to be the correct one. I've seen some pages of this one, and these banknotes are documented. I found one from a seller on eBay in Germany, so it's on its way now.

Thanks for the help!

Seattlite86 and chrisild like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted