casting bubbles??

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by tartanhill, Mar 15, 2021.

1. tartanhill

tartanhill Well-Known Member

I have been looking for such a coin for a while now. Many are smoothed or even tooled to the extent that I really don't want them. Though interested in this coin, I think it may be a cast coin that is not genuine. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

4. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Looks like a cast.

Where else would all those little pills come from? They don't look like corrosion spots or deposits.

John

5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Some older authenticators referred to/named any raised lumps on a coin in places where they are not part of the design "extraneous metal" (EM). Obviously, EM can have several causes and many coins that have this characteristic "defect" are 100% genuine. For example, a genuine coin struck with rusted dies will have this characteristic. Unfortunately, in the 70's many coin "experts" called any coin with EM a counterfeit.

One thing used to determine the cause of EM is whether it is smooth or rough. Casting defects in the form of bubbles are smooth. Heating a coin can cause rounded marks and our plated cents often have plating blisters. Incidentally, many genuine gold & silver ancients have rough granular EM in their relief design.

Without knowing anything about ancients, the EM on the coin above looks like it is mostly corrosion; however, there are several round, bubble-like lumps that should make a collector of genuine coins pass.

PS Green = corrosion spot.

Draft saved Draft deleted