Cast Provincial?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nicholasz219, May 2, 2020.

1. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

D64392D7-31DA-43BD-904C-61899B4E692B.jpeg DDFFE2EC-59FD-4A87-AE6B-06E71B7E31A3.jpeg 4897B96A-810B-4ABE-8A14-2B9A40343ACA.jpeg So, this coin threw me for a loop. I thought it looked okay in the seller pics but then later looked more closely after the coin arrived and found what looks to be file marks on the edge in an area about 2-3mm wide that run perpendicular to the edge of the coin. I’m thinking that it may be where a sprue from a cast was filed off. Also it appears that there is a faint casting seam along the edge. @Mat recommended posting here for opinions from everyone.

Of course I am embarrassed. Opinions welcome.

Thanks

ominus1 and Pellinore like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

From my page on 'fabric':
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/fabric.html

The majority of struck coins were struck on flans that were cast using a variety of methods. Many retained some edge markings from that cast flan. To have any chance of an opinion on the coin, you need to show the faces so we can determine if they show other signs of being a fake. When looking at coins, we often use high magnifications and look at edges but we never JUST look at these details. I quote the following from my webpage on 'fabric'.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another very round coin shows a different method of edge smoothing. Struck at Antioch in Syria (possibly from dies prepared at Rome??) this 30mm bronze coin of Philip II (247-248 AD) not only is perfectly round but shows a flat edge with squared corners (light line on the diagonal view). Most noticeable, certainly, is the lack of a centration dimple. The close up shows the edges of this coin (bottom) and coins produced by the same technique (moving up the pile: Gordian, Singara; Macrinus, Antioch; Philip I, Zeugma). Note that each shows file marks at a slight angle across the edge of the flan. The marks all seem to go the same direction and strike me as what would result if a right handed person were applying a file to a stack of coins held in a vise. In truth, I have no idea how these flans were prepared and the evidence presented here could probably be interpreted in other ways. Coins of this fabric are common to the Syrian and Mesopotamian cities of the 3rd century AD. Compared to the irregularly shaped sestertii often seen from Rome, the workmanship of the coins is impressive. Note that all are of low enough relief that stacking is quite possible. Just try to stack your 12 Caesars sestertii and you can appreciate why bankers must have appreciated this technology. Please don't tell me that coins with file marks on the edge are cast fakes. These coins are all quite genuine and definitely produced by striking. The same scratch evidence found on Athenian silver would be a good sign of a bad coin. The rules are different for the two issues and collectors must learn which standards apply to which coins. That is all part of the fun of being a student numismatist!

4. nicholasz219

41863B0D-F170-4E6A-905F-93103CA3EDF2.jpeg 5DBFF64B-F780-488F-ACC5-8B434C9DF072.jpeg

The filing on the edge is grouped in a very small area with very small file marks as if something was removed.

I understand what you mean about planchet preparation. I’m asking here because I don’t know what I don’t know and could use the help in understanding if this coin is indeed a cast fake.

5. nicholasz219

I am aware that the photos are not good. I do see what appears to be tiny pearls in a few areas which combined with the apparent seam and the file marks make me concerned.

I feel like I am learning but then when I start to feel some confidence then it seems that that confidence is immediately tested.

Pellinore likes this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I think genuine and simply struck on a cast flan.

ominus1 likes this.
  7. nicholasz219

I appreciate the input from both of you, @dougsmit and @Roman Collector. I respect both of you and your knowledge. On the reverse, to the right of the urn and under the legend within the altar, the field of small graininess makes me think casting pearls. In addition, the seller is on Forvm's bad seller list. I didn't realize that until after the purchase which is entirely my fault.

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

It appears to be authentic to me. Flans are not always completely smooth. Here is an authentic coin from Zeugma (Phillip the Arab).

zeugma.jpg

ominus1, Bing and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I was trying to think it was good until we got to that line. Now I can not accept the coin. The photos can be read in several ways but the Fake Sellers List is a deal breaker even if the coin came with a certificate from Septimius himself.

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I do not have this type in Septimius but neither of my Caracallas show anything on the edge worthy of note. Your coin needs to be shown in person to someone whose opinions is worth having. Sorry to be of no help.
    pm1280bb1966.jpg pm1290bb2312.jpg

ominus1 and Bing like this.
  11. nicholasz219

Had I taken the time to look at the list prior, I would have never bought the coin for that simple reason. The question was what to do with it once I had it in hand and figured out it was fake. I received a partial refund (because I didn’t want to sink any more money into returning the fake) which reduces my loss. It wasn’t a huge loss, only about $63 originally but still, it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth for my foolishness and jerk people.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I could see this as a reasonable deal. Higher education is expensive. Most of us attended my expensive schools when we were being foolish.

Draft saved Draft deleted