Cast Chinese coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by britannia40, Jul 18, 2018.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

I got these yesterday. I like the style. Is anyone on here good with Chinese cast coins I have very little knowledge of them.

from Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period. After Tang Dynasty I believe.
    IMG_20180718_100947.jpg
    IMG_20180718_100953.jpg

Knife is spring and autumn dynasty. 770-221 BC I believe
    IMG_20180718_100909.jpg
    IMG_20180718_100915.jpg
    Its ashame about the crack...

Deacon Ray and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Interesting coins and artifacts, @britannia40 ! I know absolutely nothing about them but we have several very knowledgeable forum members in coins of ancient China. Perhaps, @Loong Siew , @Ken Dorney , or @TypeCoin971793 could advise you.

britannia40 likes this.
  4. britannia40

Thanks Ray. I know alot about Chinese minted coins but cast coins I have no experience.

Chris

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. Loong Siew

Loong Siew Well-Known Member

Hi @britannia40 .. the cracked coin belonged to the Xin Dynasty which was an interregnum by the usurper Wang Mang. It has a face value of 500 shaped like a knife.

6. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

The first one purports to be a coin of the Southern Tang kingdom (937-75), Emperor Yuan Zu, 943-61, Hartill 15.77. Bao Da yuan bao, with Tian on the reverse. Except it normally comes in iron... extremely rare in bronze, according to Hartill.

Did you get these on ebay? I would have serious doubts about their authenticity. :(

britannia40 likes this.
  7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

For the first one, I am not familiar with it, so my opinion would be pretty worthless. I will point out that the strokes are fat and have a rounded appearance to them. I do not know if this is typical for the type, but I know that this is not typical for the era. That makes me think it is fake.

The Wang Mang knife I am very familiar with, and my gut said fake despite the break. Those colors in the patina almost always are red flags. The style also seems a bit off with the rims and the characters on the blade.

Here’s my example of a similar coin:

86BE9B4C-2744-4F87-B98B-A6F7B1A1E9C9.jpeg

8. britannia40

No I didn't get them on Ebay but thru a freind. Thanks for the help.

Severus Alexander and Loong Siew like this.
  9. britannia40

Thanks for the help everyone.

Deacon Ray and Loong Siew like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted