Cassius Longinus AG Denarius and Greek Silver Slater

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by robec, May 27, 2012.

1. robec

robec Junior Member

I had the opportunity to image one of each this past week for a buddy. I can't get over the state of preservation each has after over 2,000 years.

Greek Silver Slater - Circa 330 B.C.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Roman Denarius - Circa 60 B.C.

[​IMG]

Curtisimo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Wow those are some stunning pieces. I dont oogle over toned coins like modern collectors do but when I see old toning on ancients, most likely from how they were stored, I love it.

I like the denarius especially.

4. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

The first is a silver stater from the city of Aspendos in Pamphylia, struck circa 380/75-330/25 BC.

5. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Odd, I always thought the triple legs symbol was Celtic in origin. Learn something new every day.

6. robec

robec Junior Member

I know nothing about ancients or who collects them. The owner of these two pieces has a note that both are Ex. Vermeule coins.

He also gave me a little history on the Roman denarius.

I thought this was very interesting.[/FONT]

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Beautiful images!!!

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

9. robec

robec Junior Member

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Hello Robec,
    Thank you muchly for posting the coins. I still haven't picked-up any good reference books to look up ancient coins. I rely on reading (lurking about) CT ancient posts to learn about ancient coins. I hope someone will tell us more about the lady on the Roman Denarius. I'd also like to know the price range for a coin like the denarius depicted (great eye-appeal).

11. robec

robec Junior Member

I am not sure what the Roman Denarius sold for, but I was told that the Greek Slater sold for roughly $400.

If you want to talk about history, these coins have been around to see it. I can only imagine who's hands they've passed through.

12. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I believe that the denomination is stater (not slater). I own a stator that was minted in Corinth Greece. It is one of my very few ancient coins.

13. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Attached Files:

14. robec

robec Junior Member

Thank you for the information. I'll pass the Stater info to my friend. He'll have to learn Greek a little better.

15. robec

robec Junior Member

Nice!! Informative thread.

Duane gave me more information on the Stater(or Stator).

If you would like to read the PDF file, PM me your email address and I will send it to you. It is 14 pages long, but it's all Greek to me. Kidding!!

It is 14 pages long though and is in english.

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Aspendos is a nice specimen and should be worth $400 without much doubt. It could be faulted for being short some of the legend at the left but most of these are worse than this by quite a bit. The denarius of L Cassius Longinus shows Vesta and a man dropping a voting tile into a 'ballot box'. An ancestor of the moneyer was credited with inventing the method of voting. IMHO, this specimen is weak on the arm and ballot so it loses some value compared to one with better detail in those significant features but it is still a decent looking coin. $150-200?

17. robec

robec Junior Member

Thanks Doug. I didn't know what the man was doing. I actually thought he was dropping someone's head in a basket.

Draft saved Draft deleted