Cash Register Searchers, Post your results!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by thecoinlover, Feb 5, 2012.

1. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

I don't have a story of my own, but I would love to hear you guys who work a cash register. :hail:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. koen

koen New Member

I found these two recently.

The first i found was about 3 weeks ago.
    It is to celebrate the 100th birthday of the first womansday in Belgium.
    In the image there is Isala Van Diest and Marie Popelin.
    Van Diest was the first female doctor in Belgium and Popelin was the first female university student in Belgium.
    "only" 5013500 where minted, what is not very much in comparison with the regular mintage of 2€ pieces
    First issued on May 3th 2011
    popelinvandiest.jpg

The second one is in celebration of the 200th birthday of Louis Braille (the man whi invented the writing for blind people)
    5000000 minted and first apeared on September 25th 2009
    braille.jpg

4. slamster17

slamster17 Junior Member

I saw a newer, colored, $20 * in the drawer last night, couldn't afford to swap it out though.

5. Kanderus

Kanderus Active Member

My work pulls: Also, I am counting pulls 1&2 as work pulls because they came FROM work. Not from the register, but from the box we keep our rolled change in that we use to fill the register up. Back up change I guess you could call it.

1st find: Asked boss if I could get $5 in quarters for laundry, as I did not have $10 for the whole roll. He said "Sure, just get a new roll out, take $5, and but the other $5 in the register". I did so, and when I was counting out my $5 I found a 1961-D. Boss didn't notice it, so it ended up in my split of the roll =P BTW the roll was CWR if IIRC.

2nd: About 2-3 weeks after find #1 I needed quarters for laundry again, but this time I had the full $10 for a full roll. Once again, I clear it with the boss (who btw is also a numismatist.) and swap Alexander Hamilton for a roll. I get home, carefully tear the roll open and my desk and about 1/4 of the way in, a BLAST WHITE AU to low MS 1964-D is staring up at me in all it's beauty.

3rd: This is the one where I feel like either there is a god of numismatics, or I just really really lucky.

A few months after my first two back to back hits, I am once again at work. It is really early, and the register is low on quarters again. I go into the back-up change area and there are maybe 4-5 rolls of quarters. I grabbed a darker, older looking roll, and start making my way back to the register. Then I stop, turn around, and swap out the roll I just grabbed for a newer looking NF String roll. I just had this gut feeling about it, since my 2nd work pull also came from an NF String roll.

I start pulling the quarters out, maybe 6 at a time or so. Nothing. I am maybe 3/4 done with the roll when I look down in there and see a white Washington portrait. I remember saying "Whoa, that looks different." out loud, as I got really excited. Then, I just dump the roll out into my hands and there it is: A 1957-D AU Washington Quarter! This is the first quarter than I had actually pulled from work that was meant to go into the register. I frantically searched my pockets for 25 cents and THANK GOD I took my change to work that day...infact thank god I even had MONEY that day. So I dropped a quarter in the drawer, pocketed the 57D and didn't say a damn word to anyone at work about it. Especially my numismatist boss / owner of the business.

Honorable mention:

Somewhere between pulls 2 and 3 I swung by the Wells Fargo that is located inside the grocery store by my house. I, of course asked if they had seen anything unique or old come through lately and I get the standard "no." answer. So, as I am depositing some cash into my account I notice a coin sitting all by it's lonesome in the neighboring teller's tray. I noticed the white edge of the coin, but that is ALL I can see.

I asked the teller helping me "What is that?" and I pointed towards the coin in question. Either he truly thought I was pointing at something else, or he just tried to save his co-worker's find.

"Oh these, these are chocolate coins a customer gave us!" He said with a smile and he held up the gold-colored foil wrapped chocolate bullion.

"No, no, that there, just behind your Mountain Dew." Says I.

He looks about, sees the coin I am talking about, examines it, and leans to the teller who's tray he pulled it out of. "Do you want to sell this to him?" He said in a slight whisper.

"I have to, I have no choice....I have to." said the neighboring blonde teller in more of a whisper than he co-worker had just spoken in.

He said "That will be a quarter I suppose." So I handed over some junker quarter for yet another High EF to AU 1964-D...this one had a couple black spots on it around the date, but is mostly stark white as well.

So that last find DID come from a cash register...just not MINE =P.

6. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

Wow! Kanderus, you are silver quarter king!

7. Kanderus

Kanderus Active Member

I wish! I have only found a total of.. 5 I think? The rest are either gifts, or I have purchaded them. The 5th one I found ON TOP of a silver dime in a "spare change to feed the homeless" box on the counter of a grocery store. I had just won $11 off of a $1 scratcher and when the manager of the store was cashing me out I noticed the dime. I said "Hey, if I put a buck in there, will you let me have that dime?" He says sure...gets his key opens the box takes the dime out and under the dime (1946.) was a 1964 Quarter. I said I would take that quarter too if he didn't mind. He let me take it also.

That $1 I spent on that scratcher was the last buck in my pocket. I turned it into $11, then made a charitable donation, got (at the time) about $12 in silver for face value, and took my wife out to lunch with the remaining $10.

That is my personal FAVORITE find so far.

8. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

I've found one silver, in one nickel roll. If only if wheat pennies were silver, my change would be a gold mine! But you, you get silver dimes and quarters, while I get a dang silver nickel only worth like a dollar.

9. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

I've found two silver dimes in two days. I don't make a habbit of searching the registers, becuase it takes time I don't have an looks a little suspicious. But I take a quick glance at change the customers give me. You'd be surprised what you can find. But I'd never take like a Morgain or even a Franky without telling them what it is. That's just dishonest. If they still want to spend it, well, good for me lol.

But I always carry $1.35 in money at work. That way I have the means to have a coworker swap something if I like it.

10. thecoinlover

thecoinlover Banned

Why do you have exactly $1.35 you bring to work?

11. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

That may be considered unethical by some but it is far from dishonest. With this line of reasoning some may argue that Kanderus is dishonest with his finds, especially swapping out that quarter at Wells Fargo. I've spotted silver halves in teller trays and have bought them before without informing the teller about what they're selling me. I am not required to do so and why should I? What is up with all of the posts on here about telling customers the coins they are trying to use to make a purchase may have a value above face? Is it that silver is no longer $6 an ounce? I just don't recall seeing such comments 5-6 years ago like I do now.

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

I`ve never worked a cash register but I have worked on one.
    I `ve restored this 1910 NCR to working condition.
    Just need a marble slab for above the drawer and its a keeper.

IMG_7977.jpg NCR.jpg

13. Kanderus

Kanderus Active Member

I guess that is where we differ. If someone paid for something with a Morgan or something then let them pay with it. However, if someone handed me a Morgan for a $1 item and said "Wait, is this worth more than a dollar?" Then I would say something.

Also, when I found my 3 quarters at work I bought them out of the drawer fair and square. The business lost no money and, had it been someone else at the register perhaps that AU 1957D Washington would have ended up in less appreciative hands, and eventually in a vending machine! That just irks me.

14. Kanderus

Kanderus Active Member

Oh, edited language That is a sweet register! Granted I have no clue how to work something like that, I would still want one.

15. RobertAPearce

RobertAPearce Member

I don't work a cash register any longer, but today, after filling up my car at the gas station, I thought I'd just go inside even though I'd used my credit card at the pump, and ask them if they had any "funny" coins....

The girl working the cash register told me she keeps an eye on what comes in, and buys coins to give them to her dad who is a collector.

The guy standing next to her, told me that just last week, a lady had come in and given him two 1880's Silver Dollars for gas.

I told them, "MAN, I WANT TO GET A JOB AT A GAS STATION!".....

Robert

16. JPStunna

JPStunna New Member

I have been working at a gas station for about a month and a half. It's just become a habit for me to search my change in my drawer, and I can pretty much spot silver currency immediately. I find an average of 1 or 2 wheat pennies each day (which go into my hoard) but here are my silver coinage finds posted below. All of the silver I found was used to purchase an item at my store and was given to me by a customer, and not found in bank rolls (at least not yet). My best day was getting called in on my day off and the first customer I served gave me 9 silver dimes, yeehaw!!!

1962-D Quarter - 1
    1943-S War Nickel - 1
    1946 Dime - 1
    1947 Dime - 1
    1951-D Dime - 1
    1952-D Dime - 1
    1954 Dime - 1
    1954-D Dime - 1
    1961 Dime - 1
    1963-D Dime - 1
    1964 Dime - 2
    1964-D Dime Doubled-Die Reverse - 1

I have $1.40 invested in my small collection, not too shabby. It's the highlight of my day to find some silver coinage!

17. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

One dollar in case I find any dollar coins I want (not so much the silver ones, you never see them, but I'm Ike Crazy). And then 35 cents, in case I find a silver quarter or dime. Pennies, I'll just replace from the penny jar, that's not a big deal where I work.

18. Forkeh

Forkeh New Member

I suppose we have a difference of opinion, and that's fine. I don't expect everyone to feel that way, it's just how I feel. And no, swapping out coins from a register isn't dishonest. At least where I work the manager doesn't go through all the change looking for anything valuable, it all just goes to the back. As long as the registers balance, he doesn't care.

19. ButItsSoShiny

ButItsSoShiny New Member

Totally agree here. People seem too keen to make other people money with their knowledge.

20. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I broke open a roll this morning to put into the till and found these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've found probably four 1917s in the last couple of years in change.

21. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Beautiful register, what manufacturer is it? Wouldn't be a National?

Draft saved Draft deleted