Carus: Who said being bald isn't cool?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sallent, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Although Carus is one of those military emperors of the Crisis of the Third Century that went just as quickly as he came, he is notable for two things:

1) He most likely died of natural causes or injuries from being hit by lightning, which makes him one of the few emperors in this turbulent period not to have been murdered.

2) He was bald and proud of it. So much so that his baldness was prominent on his coins and statues.

2giWmJ84HeK7Hn5s9y9DBGw3oJ4Y6L.jpg
    Carus AD 282-283, AE Antoninianus (22mm, 3.24 gram) Rome
    IMP CARVS PF AVG; Rad. and cuir. bust r.
    IOVI VICTORI; in ex., KAB; Jupiter standing l. holding Victory on globe and sceptre, eagle before
    RIC 39

Like the other soldier emperors, whose reigns were mostly spent among the legions rather than playing politics in Rome, he is seen here wearing armor, and Jupiter proclaiming victory on the reverse leaves no doubt that this was a military man concerned with only one thing, fighting off the barbarian threats to the chaos striken Roman Empire.

Really, the baldness is the one comical thing that sets him apart and tells us something about his personality...he had a sense of humor. Other soldier emperors might have insisted in being shown with a full head of hair. After all, chances are they wouldn't have spent any time away from their military camps anyway, so who was to know what the emperor really looked like. But not Carus, he was a baldie and not afraid to show it.

Show any related coins.

chrsmat71, Yozz1, Stevearino and 32 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice addition!

[​IMG]
    Carus (282- 285 A.D.)
    Ӕ Antoninianus
    O: IMP C M AVR CARVS P F AVG; Radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: VIRTVS AVGG; Soldier standing left, leaning on shield and holding spear. In ex. ΓKA
    Rome Mint
    23mm
    3.7g
    RIC V(b) Rome 45

4. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

tmp_8267-index(2)1978707348.jpeg
    Bald is beautiful.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Mine is like Mat's except the KA is before rather than after the officina letter.
    rs3080b02042alg.JPG

Someone, not I, should show a coin of the other famous bald emperor Gordian II. His bald head is how we tell his coins from those of his hairy father. Who has the pair of them to show the difference?

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coin @Sallent - don't have a Carus yet in my collection.

Sallent likes this.
  7. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Great coins everyone, here is mine:

Carus.JPG Carus 2.JPG

8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice addition. Nothing wrong with being bald :)
    Carus.JPG

9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice silvering!

randygeki likes this.
  10. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

This Carus tetradrachm portrait seems to have hair. I have heard the theory that provincial mints received a portrait bust of each new emperor. Perhaps Carus' had not arrived yet when this was made.

carus-both.jpg
    EGYPT, Carus, 282-3 AD. potin 18.3mm 8.39g
    Obv: Α Κ M A KAPOC CEB; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Rev: Eagle standing right, holding wreath in beak; L to left, palm behind, A to right
    Dattari 5565? 5569?, Cologne/Geissen 3116-3? 3159? Emmett 3999
    Ex Art Institute of Chicago, from the Glover collection acquired in 1978, #1481. Gemini, auction XII, April 2017, lot 487 (part)

Note: extraordinarily smooth and even patina with yellow highlights.

11. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

As this coin and Randy's demonstrate, us baldies can even become gods.

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 11.39.23 AM.png

And my sandy lifetime issue from Antioch:
    Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 11.38.57 AM.png

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOL, cool chrome-dome espy Mr @Sallent !

I have only one coin from Carus:

RI Carus 282-283 CE AE 18mm Consecratio Flaming Alter.jpg
    RI Carus 282-283 CE AE 18mm Consecratio Flaming Alter

chrsmat71, dlhill132, Ajax and 16 others like this.
  13. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I recall an old saying of my (bald) grandfather:

"The good Lord has made a lot of men's heads -- and the ugly ones he has covered with hair".

(Note: I still have a full head of hair)

Great coins posted here.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I think it’s a little insensitive to speak of baldness as being comical. That said, I like to think of my coin below as having two bald eagles on it :D.

473ACB85-A5E1-4790-B111-A7678CDFB68E.jpeg

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Bald is beautiful!

Severus Alexander likes this.
  16. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

Some great examples in this thread.

17. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

Here is another Carus:)
    CarusO_375.jpg :
    CarusR_edited-1.jpg

chrsmat71, dlhill132, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  18. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

What I meant was that he had the humor to be portrayed as bald. Remember, many emperors had their portraits enhanced to make them look different than what they actually looked like. For example, Augustus and Tiberius had young-looking portraits of them cranked out even after they were both extremely old. Other emperors are depicted with flawless skin and no blemishes, even though they ruled until they were quite old and infirmed. Thus was a marked contrast from Republican times when portraits were realistic and depicted wrinkles, moles, baldness, and skin blemishes.

So the fact that Carus chose to depict his baldness is what's comical, not the baldness itself. It shows the man was very sure of himself and had a sense of humor. He could have had himself depicted as a 35 year old man with a full head of hair, but instead had the confidence to depict himself old and bald (a true likeness of himself).

19. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Natural causes or murdered by Jupiter?

-jeffB and Severus Alexander like this.
  20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

The man surely wasn't short on confidence. He didn't even bother to return to Rome after his acclamation by the Senate and went right ahead setting up a dynasty. Someone like that can end up being a bit of a lightning rod... :p

Johnnie Black, Ed Snible and GerardV like this.
  21. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Some early issue Ants. also copied the more hirsute portraits of previous emperor. Here he looks like Probus.

[​IMG]

sometimes he kept it under his hat (helmet)

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted