Carson City

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by renee35967, Apr 20, 2009.

1. renee35967

renee35967 Junior Member

What is the difference in a Carson City minted silver dollar and the other mints? I have noticed there is a big price difference. I also had someone look at some of the coins and his 1st question was "Are they Carson City"? I have found 5 or 6 of them and don't know if these are something that I should get put in slabs or what.

Renee

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. troublesbrewin

troublesbrewin remember rotary phones?

The Carson City mint was a relatively short lived mint (1870-1893) which primarily produced silver coins. The CC mintmark was generally hand stamped into the dies before they were hardened, this double letter mintmark accounted for many varieties because they were crooked or very close together and alot of people collect these varieties.

You should definately read as much as you can to gain insight as to which coins are more valuable because of any number of reasons. Great numbers of these coins were hoarded or melted and their original mintage quantities are not reliable, so don't use those numbers as your only source of information as to availability. Common CC coins are Morgan dollars in 1883 and 1884, hoarded at the mint and massive numbers were released in the 70's which brought their values on mint state from the thousands of dollars each, down to a couple hundred dollars each. It's important to know these details so you don't mis-spend your hard earned money.

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

What dates are they? Post some pics if you can, that would help.

5. renee35967

renee35967 Junior Member

6. raider34

raider34 Active Member

The 1884 CC is from the GSA hoard, It should be in the black plastic case, does it say Uncirculated Silver dollar on the front?

7. renee35967

renee35967 Junior Member

8. troublesbrewin

troublesbrewin remember rotary phones?

Those Morgan dollars appear to be in the original government issue holders, they are very nice and in mint state condition. Each should bring a couple hundred dollars. The 1884 looks like it has some die crack lines around the obverse perimeter. Many people collect Morgans with various VAM's (Van Allen Mallis) attributes. Van Allen and Mallis did a large study of the dies used to make Morgan dollars and published a book on their findings. Now it's a "Bible" for variety collectors. Check out VAMWorld.com for more info.

9. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I agree both coins are in Uncirculated condition, what type of holder is the 1882 in, it doesn't look like the GSA holder.

10. renee35967

renee35967 Junior Member

It is in a gray hard cover book from the US Mint. My grandfather got 2 books with a total of 72 coins. All the coins that I mentioned above except the 1884 came out of these books.

11. raider34

raider34 Active Member

That sounds like a great set Renee, and some of those coins can be worth alot of money. You've probably heard this before, but be careful not to touch the front or back of the coins. I'm guessing there in the books by date and mintmark, or are they just in unmarked slots. I would say check numismedia.com the morgan price list, for all the coins that you have.

12. renee35967

renee35967 Junior Member

In plastic covered unmarked slots in date order. How do I know if I should get some graded? Is it worth it? I am so green on all of this. If it wasn't for my grandfather, I would have any of it, and coins would never have crossed my mind.

13. HandsomeToad

HandsomeToad Urinist

Nice CC Morgans! :thumb:

Ribbit :)

Ps: Welcome to CoinTalk! :hail:

Draft saved Draft deleted