Carson City Sesquicentennial

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mountain Man, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I just read the article in Numismatic Bibliomania Society's current issue (https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/club_nbs_esylum_v23n04.html#article19) and wondered if anyone out there had more information than what is in the article, such as: How many medallions will they mint. How to purchase other than attending, etc.?

They are minting the 1870 design on Press #1. "The medallion honors the rarest minting duo existing on the planet; the CC Mint and Coin Press No. 1."

It just so happens my daughter lives in Carson City with her fiancé, who is on the Governor's security detail, so I wrote to ask her if she could attend and purchase a couple for me. Fingers crossed.

Any additional information that isn't on the Mints website would be appreciated.

LakeEffect and green18 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

This will be a privately issued medal, not issed or minted by the US government or its facilities.

4. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

It appears like the CC Mint Museum will be issuing official medals minted by Press #1, as part of the officially sanctioned celebrations. While it is true that these are not "Official US Mint" products, I strongly suspect that these medals will be highly collectible and desirable in the future.

See here for more: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/anyone-live-near-carson-city.353961/

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Depends on what they look like. If it looks like the piece Dan Carr did, yes - and they don't make it prooflike.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Sounds to me like something the Mint should be producing. Then again, considering the platinum coin coming out.......Never mind.

7. Mountain Man

8. Mountain Man

I'm wondering if they will limit the number they strike. If a low number, they may be worth having a couple.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If the medallion is the one they show in the Esylum link, I believe it was limited to 3000 and they sold that one last year, I think you had to be a donor to buy one. Maybe they have a different medal for the February striking.

10. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Dan Carr has these in silver, copper and brass. cc_sesqui_bs.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted