Carolus IIII 4 reales 1808 coin, mint mark and value

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by MadMartigan, Aug 9, 2014.

1. MadMartigan

MadMartigan Active Member

Ok I just started to get into foreign crowns to do a crowns of the world and bullion set and I wasn't going to do any pieces of 8 or reales because of there price prohibition. But I was in my coin shop yesterday to pick something up for my album but ran across this 4 real coin totally in my price range so I couldn't pass it up.

I have been trying to do research on it, its clearly a Spanish milled coined from King Charles the IV I am thinking for Columbia as that is clearly a P mint mark but what is the I or maybe T next to it. what country and mint mark is this coin. Also what do you think its value is, this coin shop seems to be completely clueless to the value of foreign coins as I have pulled three silver coins out of their junk bin this week for 20 cents each. I am thinking they might have been selling it for its silver value.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Not to nit pic , but I think it's Carolus the 3rd even with the IIII on it . Nice pick up .

4. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I'm guessing the Potosi mint. Here's a pic of one you can see the mintmark more clearly.

Sp-4R-Po-1774.rev.med.jpg

5. Peter T Davis

As far as value, check some sold listings on eBay, like this one for example. If you really paid twenty cents for that, can't see how you'd go wrong even if it's a fake. If it's real, you got a great bargain (go back and clean the dealer's stock out!).

rzage likes this.
  6. MadMartigan

Sorry my post confused I actually paid $22 for this one but have also gotten 3 silver coins out of there junk bin for 20 cents a piece (a 1935 uk half crown, a 1920 uk florin and a 1994 Mexico 10 nuevos) making me believe they under valued this coin. The mint mark after further examination looks to be a pj which would make it from Bolivia.

I saw most go for around $30 is similar condition so it's comparable and just a nice coin for my growing half crowns and crowns of the world collection.

7. MadMartigan

And peter that eBay listing seems to be in a little better condition but $44 so double what I paid. Heck worse case scenario it's worth the silver which I think is .4 of an ounce (I did do the magnet test in it first thing :) )

8. Peter T Davis

Assuming it's real, $22 is a good buy too. Couldn't really say whether yours is in a lower grade than the one I linked on eBay, neither theirs or your pics were really detailed enough to grade.

9. MadMartigan

Yea I suck at taking pics I just do em on my iPhone.

10. rzage

Excellent buy for $22 , I'd listen to Peter and go clean out any reales he has for $22 especially from Bolivia .

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The mint mark is in between REX and 4R. The P J is the assayer's mark.

And yes, it is the Potosi mint mark from Bolivia. The Potosi mint mark is a T on top of a P with an S on top of both the P & T. Here is a better picture where you can see that. And contrary to popular theory, it has long been my theory that this mint mark is the true origin of our dollar sign.

1777-PTS 8 reale rev dollar sign.jpg

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No that's Charles IIII Rusty. But he died that same year, 1808, and Ferdinand VII took the crown.

What you are thinking of is when Charles III died and Charles IIII took the crown. Because there was not time to get new dies from Spain to the colonial mints fast enough, some coins were minted for a short time with the image of Charles III on them but with the name Charles IIII. It was easy and fast to change the III to a IIII, but it took a while for the die sinkers to carve an entirely new and different bust.

rzage likes this.
  13. MadMartigan

Ok yea now I see the mint mark its kind of worn but its that dollar symbol very cool coin from Bolivia. I am still learning a lot about world coins but I am getting better I think I need to pick up am krause book and read it.

14. rzage

Well Charles III had a lot of gall dieing , in 1808 . Thanks for the heads up .

Draft saved Draft deleted