Carinus - heavy antoninianus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by singig, Oct 11, 2020.

1. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Hello , is this coin of Carinus a special denomination ? , or is just an antoninianus struck by chance on a much thicker flan ? Thanks.

21 mm / 6.3 g
    Carinus, AE Antoninianus, Antioch mint. RIC 325, S
    IMP C M AVR CARINVS PF AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust right. /
    VIRTVS AVGG, Carinus standing right, holding sceptre, receiving Victory on globe from Carus standing left. S in lower centre. Mintmark XXI. RIC V-2, 325; Sear 12362.
    carinus1.jpg
    carinus1-side.jpg
    I found similar examples on acsearch.info , all RIC 325(same officina) are between 3.5 - 4 grams :
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1743171
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4659252
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1411974

Some sellers are naming this heavy coin a ''Double Antoninianus'' , but I'm not sure that is correct ? I found that a ''Double Antoninianus'' should have only a higher silver content than the usual issue of Antoniniani.
    https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/sa...2283_double__antoninianus/824292/Default.aspx

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wow that's cool .

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Lol, I really doubt it's a ''Double Antoninianus'' if that's the case my Salonina mind as well be one too.

I think it's just overweight like some coins can be. It's a great coin though. I am always a fan of overweight coins & would take yours in a heartbeat just because of it.

My overweight Salonina.

[​IMG]
    Salonina (254 - 268 A.D.)
    Billon Antoninianus
    O:CORN SALONINA AVG, diademed and draped bust right, crescent behind.
    R: CONCORDIA AVGG, emperor and empress standing confronted, clasping hands.
    Syrian mint, 258 - 260 A.D
    5.61g
    20mm
    Göbl MIR 1691p (Samosata), SRCV III 10630 (uncertain Syrian mint), RIC V-1 63 (Antioch), RSC IV 31

Heavy for Type!

5. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Thanks ! yours is interesting too, I have the same type RIC 63, the weight is 3.6g /21mm. For the moment seems that we have only overweight coins.
    salonina1.jpg

6. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Extraordinarily heavy Antoniniani do occur, though rarely, and probably are either mint errors or some sort of test strikes. Double antoniniani exist under Carus, with a double radiate crown and, I believe, the formula XII (X ET I on some examples) indicating this is a double-denomination containing about ten percent silver. The normal aurelianianus of the age, which bore the mark XXI or KA, meaning 20:1, contained only about 5 percent silver. The double-aurelianianus had been introduced by Probus’ predecessor, Tacitus, whose issues typically bore the value marks XI or IA, meaning 10:1. In resume, double antoniniani were called that way because of a better alloy, not for their heavier weight.

Marsyas Mike, Alegandron and singig like this.
  7. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Excellent explanation ! it is the clearest and most detailed I have found so far for double antoniniani.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I'm very aware of the XI or IA, but I was referring to just the weight question = double-aurelianianus.

9. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

Even though the apparent purpose of the 20:1 alloy was to stabilize the currency, it may have been more a matter of public confidence than intrinsic value. If the 20:1 radiates were officially overvalued relative to their silver content, weight variation need not have presented a problem as long as it averaged out and the mint returned a specified number of coins per consignment of 20:1 alloy. A double-weight coin would theoretically have double the intrinsic value but if the nominal value is higher yet, it makes no real difference.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    singig likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted