Caribbean Rarity: Jamaica 1882 London Mint Penny

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Feb 8, 2019.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Thought I would share this penny which is quite rare & followup with a bit of writeup: IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0169.JPG

This coin is one of those that until recently was only rumored to have existed. Remick, who was pretty much the authority on such matters had never seen a currency "non H" 1882 Jamaica penny, excepting possibly the specimen/currency specimen which has now been graded by PCGS.
    Others have since claimed that all those coins without "H" as a mintmark were either altered or that the die had filled.
    NGC apparently has got their census a bit askew and is not amenable to requests or suggestions, which I will not go into here. I believe based on what evidence is available that their census figures for "H" and "no H"/London are jumbled or perhaps reversed.

hotwheelsearl and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Krause states 48,000 of each were minted.
    1882H is $60 in XF and non H is $120

It shows no 1882 non H were struck of the Half Penny.

4. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

First all, are you referring to the late Jerry Remick? And in which publication?

And, as noted below, the H non-H seems to be a non-issue. What do I not understand about this?

That is 48,000 of the H, with the non-H is listed as "included above." In other words, 48,000 of both kinds total, not each.

What year is your K&M Standard Catalog? I ask because my SCWC is from 1985 and the prices were $50 and $120. So, if your prices are actually 21st century, the coin is a sleeper.

That all being as it may, the coin above in the original post from 7Jags is nice. You can be a tough grader and conservative grading is safer. XF is easy for this coin.

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

My Krause is 4th edition 2004.

6. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yes, Jerry Remick. Please see the Arielle (sp?) Sale that Baldwin's had. I can not remember the actual name of the vendor but they were tied to Remick et al. Perhaps a reader here might have better recall than me as to the vendor.

This coin is absolutely uncirculated, though softly struck to the reverse. The alloy is quite hard and strikes in the series are sometimes suboptimal.

The Krause listings perpetuated by NGC in their values are quite misleading; as I said I have seen no other uncirculated currency issues and only the one specimen - again, maybe others have seen or can contribute?

7. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

I understand. I am not skilled at telling simple wear from weak strikes. It is a known consideration across all numismatics.

So, what you were saying was not that the issue is so rare that only one is known, but that only one Uncirculated has been found. OK... Still, unless you can dig up that Baldwin's sale, the Krause estimate of $250 must stand unless you have a different attributed price.

When I first started in numismatics, my interest quickly turned to ancients. As a result, a local dealer asked me to catalog and attribute a sale lot of over 200 Tibetan and Nepalese coins. I was astounded at the low catalog prices contrasted with the low catalog mintage figures. I called Colin Bruce II and we spoke for a while. He explained to me that every coin in the world competes against every other coin the world for the attention of buyers. The large body of American collectors drives the entire numismatic universe. Uncirculated Morgan dollars outprice true rarities.

It is one reason that so many here collect ancients: they are cheap compared to the mainstream of American numismatics.

8. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Actually, I am saying it is rare in ANY condition, but moreso in uncirculated. Multiple bidders and the coin went for 675 plus the juice, so that is probably a fair "new" price.
    That is the only sale price I have found recorded anywhere; the specimen went for, I believe 1600+.

Arielle: Baldwin's Sale #85. October, 2013.

kaparthy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted