Carausius sought equality -- and Peace

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jamesicus, Jul 21, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Another very nice gesture. As you said "it's a hard to come by" coin and we're not a greedy bunch so no one will same "ME ME ME PICK ME," lol.

However if you are sure you want to part with it, make it into a contest, or you could use random.org. It would also make a very nice secret Santa gift. Selling it is always an option too :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I understand wanting your gift to go to someone who truly appreciates the coin rather than someone who will immediately list it in their eBay store (as has so distastefully happened in other giveaways on the ancient board).

Deciding who to give it to will require some knowledge of the recipient. Regular posters here on the ancients board are a good risk :).

Ajax, Alegandron and randygeki like this.
  4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

A very gracious idea. Since the Ancients have produced so many threads that are truly outstanding, perhaps you might consider donating the coin to a contributor of your choice and reasoning. From conservator to conservator.

Curtisimo, Alegandron and randygeki like this.
  5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

That really happened? Lame lol

Johndakerftw and Alegandron like this.
  6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

It did. Total, total turn-off for me. To win a gracious donation, then to profit from it??? Bad Karma.

7. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Curtisimo, zumbly, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Oh wow! Thank you! I won't sell it on ebay.

TIF likes this.
  9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

@jamesicus I just arrived home from Colorado. I have not been on the forum for the past couple of days while travelling so I did not see this post. This is a hard question. Whenever someone here offers a "freebie", they are inundated with names of folks who do not collect Ancients in general let alone a specific issue like the one you are suggesting. But I might suggest selecting out a few Ancients posters you feel would appreciate it's significance, maybe some YNs who are trying very hard to find their niche, and PMing them. Who knows. You might find a younger protege' to carry on your interests in the Tetrarchies. I find your studies fascinating and educational.

BTW, thank you for the coin you sent. Give me a couple of days to settle back into a grove and I will attempt

Nyatii and randygeki like this.
  10. jamesicus

Thanks for that thoughtful response Bing -- yes please do settle into your Ancient coin collecting routine (and recover from your health scare). It seems you didn't finish your post -- that is something I do these days with alarming frequency!

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Not sure what happened there. I plan an in-depth study of the coin. Not sure how far I will get with it, but I will post the results here. Thanks again.

randygeki likes this.
  12. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I had a cruddy Carausius once but eventually got bored of it and sold it. Same with an Allectus I had. I do have a Diocletian but its not photographed yet. So nothing to contribute here unfortunately. Great post and coins @jamesicus !

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Perfect person to receive it! @randygeki will appreciate and care for it well. Very kind of you! And, Randy... congrats!

14. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thank you!

15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

It arrived safely. Thanks again! A very neat coin.

IMG_2975.JPG

Heres how I have it listed my gallery:

Carausius for Maximian.
    AE Antoninainus.

Radiate and cuirassed bust of Maximian facing right; IMP MAXIMIANVS P F AVG/ Pax standing left holding sceptre and branch S left P right; PAX AVGGG. MLXXI in ex.

V2 London 34

The three G's in AVGGG represented Carausius, Diocletian and Maximianus as part of an attempt by Carausius to become equal in power with Diocletian and Maximianus, which failed.

16. jamesicus

And thank you for reporting its safe arrival -- that is very important for me. It is gratifying to know that the coin has found a good home!

Nyatii, randygeki and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted