Carausius from Forum

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I assume that many of you would have received the same email I did from Joe at Forum Ancient coins. He announced a sale and explains that his business was hit very hard by the hurricane.

I know its not much in terms of a contribution but I found this coin of Carausius that needed a good home so I bought it. I have benefited greatly because of the information supplied by FAC and its membership. IMHO Joe provides a valuable service to the collecting community.

Please post your coins of Carausius.

"This is the only specimen of this type known to Forum. We did not find another online or in the many references examined. The type must have been struck during a very short period after the mint mark was changed fromS - C / C toS - P / C but before the reverse legends were changed to the plural ending AVGGG."

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 12.26.37 AM.png

Billon antoninianus, RIC V-2-,Webb Carausius-, Borne Carausius-,SRCV IV-,Hunter IV-, Linchmere-, Burton Latimer-,Bicester-,Carausian Hoard-,et al., aF, broad flan, near blackpatina, rough, corrosion, scratches, Camulodunum (Colchester, England) mint, weight 4.186g, maximumdiameter 23.1mm, die axis225o, c. mid 292; obverse IMP C CARAVSIVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, late reign tetrarchic portrait; reverse VIRTVS AVG (the valor of the Emperor),Mars walking right, transverse spear in right hand,shieldortrophyin left hand,S - P flanking across field, C in exergue; from the Charles Peters Carausius Collection; extremely rare

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Congrats on such a unique pick up.

Orfew and Nemo like this.
  4. Aleph

Aleph Well-Known Member

This is a great time to go through your forvm wishlist and give some coins a good home. I did so as well!

Orfew likes this.
  5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice catch!

[​IMG]
    Carausius (287 - 293 A.D.)
    Æ Antoninianus
    O: IMP C CARAVSIVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: PAX AVG, Pax standing left, holding olive-branch and sceptre; S in left field; P in right field.
    Camulodunum(?) Mint
    4.53g
    23mm
    RIC 475

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My best Carausius is one of the AVGGG series when Carausius was trying to convince Diocletian and Maximianus that he was a brother emperor. The reverse is Providentia PROVIDAVGGG from the C mint (Camulodunum-Colchester, England).
    rt3450b00906lg.JPG

My other favorite is a common Pax reverse but it was overstruck on a Victorinus Salus.
    rt3455bb3118.jpg

Virtus reverses are scarce enough we can't be too picky on condition. I am unclear on which mint this is but suspect something on the continent. Note the use of H for A on the obverse.
    rt3475bb2900.jpg

7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Not a coin of Carausius, but I did go in and purchase a coin from Forum I had been eyeing for a while. I’ll post it when it arrives in the mail

Orfew likes this.
  10. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

carausius 20150105 obv.jpg

Carausius (Augustus)
    Coin: Bronze Antoninianus
    IMP CARAVSIVS PF AVG - Radiate right, draped and curraised
    PAX AVG - Pax standing left/olive branch and vertical sceptre
    Exergue: [​IMG]
    Mint: Camulodunum (287-293 AD)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 4.04g / 24mm / -
    References: