Carausius and RSR in the exergue

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bart9349, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

While doing research for a non-numismatic site about Carausius, the unsuccessful usurper who declared himself emperor in Britain and Northern Gaul in AD 286, I came across an interesting bit of numismatic trivia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carausius

Many of Crausius's coins have RSR in the exergue.
    There were many ideas about the significance of RSR.

These were thought initially to represent the mintmark Rutupiae (the modern town of Richborough). Another thought was that the letters RSR represented Rationalis Summae Rei (or financial minister).

Carausius.jpg

Here's an incorrect description of the significance of RSR in the exergue on the above coin from an auction in 2002:

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=1265

The significance of the letter "RSR" wasn't clear until 1998.

This time, however, I'm pretty sure Wikipedia got it right:

I found that interesting.

guy

Addendum:

Additional information:

Carausius1.jpg

Carausius3.jpg

Carausius2.jpg

Above: Unique bronze medallion of Carausius, datable to circa AD 289
    commemorating a victory, presumably the one over Maximian's fleet
    Reverse: VICTORIA CARAVSI AVG with I.N.P.C.D.A in exergue
    This medallion is now in the British Museum

http://www.kenelks.co.uk/coins/carausius/carausius.htm

Explanation of the RSR mark is not obvious and various suggestions have been made, including Rationalis Summae Rei (Aurelius Victor refers to Allectus as "cum eius permissu summi rei" ) or Rationalis Summarum Rationum (the title of an officer in charge of the mint). However, by far the most plausible (and now widely accepted) is that recently advanced by Guy de la Bedoyere who believes that it is a quote from Virgil's Fourth Eclogue, "Redeunt Saturna Regna" ("The Saturnian Age returns" - in other words a new Golden Age). If this seems far-fetched, he also points out that the letters in the exergue of the medal of Carausius shown above, I.N.P.C.D.A. are the initial letters of the very next line, "Iam Nova Progenies Caelo Demittitur Alto" ("Now a new generation is let down from heaven above"). Such sentiments would be totally in keeping with the aims of Carausius expressed elsewhere on the coins, for example ROMANO RENOV(at) ("Rome Renewed").

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Didnt know that, cool coins too.

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

same here, a period I no very little about.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Same, also only coin I have from the The Secessionist Empire is Postumus. Carausius isnt too cheap :/

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

yeah :/

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Those Carausius coins are tremendous. I'd love to have a Carausius silver denarius with she wolf suckling R&R and featuring RSR at exergue (even though the exergue is subsidiary)

Q

8. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

This is my favorite Carausius coin from my research found on acsearch:

Caraisius.jpg

I love their write-up of a similar coin:

Nothing like trying to hedge one's bet.

guy

9. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

carausius wolf.jpg

This coin, as much as any other coin, reflects Carausius’s desire for his empire to viewed as more than just a stark departure by a rogue emperor from a corrupt and unstable Roman Empire. Not only does this coin have RSP in the exergue (“A Return of the Golden Age”), but the coin also has the classic Roman image of the wolf suckling Romulus and Remus, conjuring memories of a glorious Rome from past history.

He possibly wanted his empire to be viewed as a rebirth of a long departed and idealized Rome of honor and glory, not just another independent state with no ties to the traditions and history of Ancient Rome.

guy

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the one !

The one you show above can only be in my dreams....

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While it is good to dream the silver RSR and three jugate portraits are not likely to join my collection due to the price and the fact that both are easily recognized as special. Any Carausius is expensive enough if you want a good looking coin. There are two things I suggest you look for if buying one of the cheap ones. The same desire to be part of the mainstream Roman power trio also caused some reverse legends to end AVGGG suggesting that there were three rulers (the three portraits). These add interest to me but do not always sell for more. Rare and expensive when recognized are coins for the real emperors (Diocletian and Maximianus) issued by Carausius with the AVGGG reverse legend. Coins with Diocletian's name can be cheap so I'd love to find one being sold as just an ordinary issue.

110210033.jpg

12. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Ancient Doug:

Thank you for reading my post. Lacking a numismatist's eye or patience, I am sure I would have missed the coin if it were on a table at a large show without the correct attribution.

BTW, everytime I see one of the "handshake" coins, I always think of your previous post on the subject:

Hand.jpg

Denar, Londinium. IMP CARAVSIVS PF AVG. Bust with a laurel wreath, and tanks Paludament right. R: (!) CONCORD MITVM / RSR. Two right hands in a handshake.

Thank you, again, for your insight.

guy

Draft saved Draft deleted