Caracalla returns to Rome

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

When Septimius Severus died at York, Britain, in 211, his sons Caracalla (Augustus since 198) and Geta (Augustus since 209) were there and soon departed for Rome.

Caracalla2FORTRED2047.jpg
    19 mm. 3.19 grams.
    ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT
    FORT RED PM TRP XIIII COS III PP
    Fortuna Redux
    Fortuna standing left holding cornucopia (unusually, in her right hand with its tip outward), leaning her left forearm on an inverted rudder, with a wheel (of Fortune) at her feet.

RIC 189. BMC (Joint reign with Geta) 2 "211". "For the return to Rome (late in A.D. 211)." Sear II 6802.

Caracalla took the title "BRIT" in 210, "TRP XIIII" in 211 (which dates the coin), and PP (Pater Patriae, Father of his Country) upon the death of his father. This coin announces his return to Rome. It may well record a vow to Fortuna to be fulfilled at the end of a safe trip. There is a similar type for Geta but with TRP III.

I quote from my page on Fortuna types: http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Fortuna/
    (This coin is not yet on that page.)

"Fortuna was the Italian goddess of chance or luck in the sense of good fortune, bad fortune, and the future. She contributes to steering the course of events, hence the rudder. Good fortune brings abundance, hence the cornucopia. Our terms "fortunate" and "fortune teller" derive from Fortuna. One aspect pertained to fortune in battle. Fortuna REDVX is her aspect relating to a safe return from trips."

Recently we had a thread on ancient coins "related to an actual historical event" and this coin would fit there.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/post-a-coin-related-to-an-actual-historical-event.357609/

Show us a FORTVNA coin! (If you know, tell us which event it relates to.)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Historically interesting coin, @Valentinian !

Here's one of my favorites, primarily because it's not as generic as many FORTVNA coins.

Faustina Jr FORTVNAE MVLIEBRI denarius.jpg Faustina Junior, AD 161-175
    Roman AR denarius, 2.82 g, 17.7 mm, 2 h
    Rome, AD 161-175
    Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right
    Rev: FORTVNAE MVLIEBRI, Fortuna Muliebris enthroned left, holding rudder and cornucopiae
    Refs: RIC 683; BMCRE 96; Cohen 107; RCV 5253; CRE 181.

Fortuna Muliebris (Womanly Fortune) is an aspect of the Roman goddess of luck and fate who cared for the well-being and luck of women, especially married women. According to a legend recorded by Plutarch (De fortuna Romanorum 5.7), worship of Fortuna Muliebris was instituted at a time when Rome was under attack in the 5th century BC by Cnaeus Marcius Coriolanus, a descendant of Ancus Marcius, an early king. Once a hero of Rome, he later led an army of Volscians against the city, and refused all the pleadings of the senators and the priests to stop the attack. Until, that is, the matrons of Rome came out to plead with him, including his own mother, Veturia, with his wife and their two young children. They managed to convince him to call it off, and on the spot where Veturia talked him out of it he dedicated a temple to Fortuna Muliebris in honor of them.

This temple was at the fourth milestone of the Via Latina, one of the main roads out of Rome. Tradition has is that the temple was founded prior to the mid-4th century BC on the 6th day of July, which became its festival day. Her statue there could only be touched by matrons who had been married once, and was credited with being able to speak. After its consecration, Plutarch (ibid) reports the statue pronounced, "Women of the City, you have dedicated me by the holy law of Rome."

jb_depew, thejewk, galba68 and 7 others like this.
  4. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

Here's the TR P III Geta As from 211 AD. I'm sure it's the same story as the Caracalla denarius that Valentinian stated above.

GETA_AS_CO-EMPEROR_WITH_HIS_BROTHER_CARACALLA__-removebg-preview.png

Geta (Augustus)
    Coin: Bronze As
    P SEPTIMIVS GETA PIVS AVG BRIT - Laureate head right
    FORT RED TR P III COS II - Fortuna seated left, holding rudder & cornucopia, wheel under chair, S C in ex.
    Exergue: SC

Mint: Rome (211 AD )
    Wt./Size/Axis: 11.30g / 24.4mm / 360
    References:
    RIC 175a
    Cohen 53
    BMC 273cf
    Acquisition/Sale: imporatorcoins-and-estatesales eBay $0.00 05/18
    Notes: Jun 13, 18 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i have a Caracalla provincial with fortuna reverse... Greek Caracalla bronze 002.JPG Greek Caracalla bronze 004.JPG

6. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I don’t have a Caracalla with Fortunate, but do have one from 211 with the title ‘BRIT’ and ‘PP’

Anc-09b-R3-k0211-Caracalla-DE-184.jpg
    Imperial Rome
    Caracalla, r. 198-217 A.D. (211 A.D.)
    Rome Mint, AR Denarius, 20.28mm x 2.8 grams
    Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT. Laureate bust, right
    Rev.: P M TR P XIIII COS III P P. Pax, draped, advancing left, holding branch in right hand and sceptre in left hand
    Ref.: RIC IV-1 Caracalla 184, p. 238.

7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I don't know if this relates to a particular event or just the fortunes of the
    Empire in general:
    temp.jpg
    Trajan
    Caesar, A.D. 97
    Augustus, A.D. 98-117

Bronze (Orichalcum) Dupondius
    Rome mint, A.D. 103-111
    Obv: IMP CAES NERVAE TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS V P P
    Rev: SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI - Fortuna standing, facing left, holding cornucopia and resting rudder on prow of ship, between S and C
    RIC 402
    29mm, 8.6g.

8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Here's a Trajan Fortuna Redux denarius. I can't date it more specifically than to say it's from 112 AD or later, the beginning of his sixth (and final) consulate, so it can't be tied to any particular safe return.

Trajan AR Denarius, 112 AD or later. Obv. Laureate draped bust right, IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GERM DAC/ Rev. Fortuna seated l. with rudder & cornucopiae, P M TR P COS VI P P SPQR (FORT • RED in exergue). RIC II 318 (1926 ed.), RSC II 154, BMCRE 578, Sear RCV (1981 ed.) 884 (ill.) 18.9 mm., 3.11 g.

[I cite the 1981 edition of RCV because, for whatever reason, this coin isn't listed in the current edition. I don't own the 1988 edition.]

Trajan Obv. jpg.jpg

Trajan Rev. 1 jpg.jpg

9. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

GordianIII1FORTVNAREDVX2050.jpg

Gordian III
    , 238-244
    23-21 mm. 4.47 grams.
    IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG
    FORTVNA REDVX
    Fortuna seated left, holding rudder and cornucopia, wheel behind seat.
    RIC 210 "243-244"
    Sear III 8612.

This coin expresses hope that he would return safely from the Persian war of 243. Instead, in late February of 244 he was deposed by Philip who reported that the emperor had died of natural causes. I suppose in the middle of the third century it was "natural" to be murdered.

This coin and others are now on my site about Fortuna types:
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Fortuna/
    Click the link at the top to see Fortuna types from before the First Tetrarchy.

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  10. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted