Caracalla Provincial from the show today

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Nov 4, 2017.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I almost forgot the very small coin show today sponsored by a small local club with mostly US/modern collectors. While eating lunch I remembered for some reason and traveled the whole ten miles not really thinking I would see anything. I didn't even take my Nook with collection photos which ended up being a mistake. There was one dealer there with ancients and I ended up adding four coins to my collection and two additional duplicates (I forgot I had them but my trade stock is low now so that was no big thing). I really need to find a better way to reference my coins so I know which I have and which I don't.

I was attracted to this Caracalla AE23 from Alexandria Troas for several reasons (most pretty silly). The portrait is well done. The legends each have minor oddities proving that planning ahead was not a regular practice. The obverse reads M AVREL ANTONINV with no room for he final S or any title. This type coin usually has COL AVG around the top and TROAS in exergue. The die cutter started a bit to far right and ran out of room so the G ended up down with TROA. I probably would have crowded it it at the top but breaking legends at 'sensible' points was a concept not universal by this time in history. The wolf and twins could be more bold but overall the coin is good enough for my collection standards.

Show your Troas coins.
    pm1355fd1542.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I could see why you got it. It's very attractive. Nice addition, Doug.

4. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

I have only one.
    g279.jpg Antiochus Hierax
    Mint: Alexandria Troas
    AR Tetradrachm
    242 to 227 BC
    Obvs: Diademed head of Antiochus Hierax with prominant cheekbone.
    Revs: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ on r., ANTIOXOY on l., partially nude, with slight drapery on thigh, Apollo seated l. on omphalos, testing arrow and resting l. hand on grounded bow that has pellets that symbolize the handle. Horse symbol in exergue and two control monograms in left field.
    29x30mm, 16.35g
    Ref: Sear GCV 6919, SC Vol.1 877.2

5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Great coin Doug. Why don't you put together an online galley, like on Forvm, that you can easily access from any device.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a nice-looking coin and interesting, too. Here's one of mine from Alexandria Troas, an anonymous civic issue I bought because of the statue of Marsyas on the reverse:

Alexandria Troas Marsyas.jpg
    Alexandria Troas, time of Gallienus, c. AD 253-268
    Autonomous civic issue, Æ23, 5.9g, 6h
    Obv: ALEX TRO CO, turreted and draped bust of Tyche right; to left, vexillum inscribed CO/AV in two lines
    Rev: COL AVG TROA, Marsyas standing right on pedestal, holding wineskin
    Refs: Bellinger A497; SNG Copenhagen 103; SNG von Aulock 1463.

Smojo, dlhill132, Macromius and 8 others like this.
  7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of any other provincial cities that issued coins with the wolf and twins reverse?

8. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I just did a quick VCoins search and found several other provincials with wolf and twins reverses, including Antioch, Laodcea ad Mare, Tarsus, Cilicia and Capitolina.

I have a small (~14mm) provincial in very rough shape with a WaT reverse that's been laying around for years awaiting identification, which is why I asked.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't have an inclusive list but:
    Antioch, Pisidia, Severus Alexander and several others
    pn1875bb2919.jpg

Ninica Claudiopolis, Maximinus AE31
    pn1965b01441lg.jpg

Several Severans had wolves in smaller size from Nikopolis ad Istrum. This AE16 is Septimius.
    pi0480bb1028.jpg

10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice... that's an easy coin to like. I'm away from my books for a couple of weeks, but recall that Bellinger's catalog of types for Alexandria Troas had single entries that covered multiple obverse and reverse legend variations, particularly for 3rd century issues. They seem to have played extra fast and loose at that mint.

My first coin from this city is still my favourite one.

3FD72A6D-D4C6-4336-A4FE-2234E89B822B.jpeg
    SEVERUS ALEXANDER
    AE24. 6.97g, 24.6mm. TROAS, Alexandria Troas, 222-235 AD. Possibly unrecorded : SNG Cop –; SNG von Aulock –; SNG München –; cf. Bellinger A338 (obv A338, rev A225, Type 44). O: IMP SEV ALEXANDER AVG, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust left, holding spear & shield decorated with head of Medusa. R: COL AVG, horse grazing right, herdsman (Ordes?) behind holding pedum (shepherd's crook), tree to left, TROAC in exergue.

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The wolves on the Antioch and Ninica Claudiopolis coins look more like horses to me!

12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

That's so cool and probably the first time I noticed that kind of 'mistake' on both sides of a coin. My three examples seem to have been better planned:p---two of Tyche and the last of Gallienus:
    troas alex tyche and horse.JPG troas alex tyche and suckling wolf.JPG troas gallienus and horse.JPG

maridvnvm, Smojo, dlhill132 and 12 others like this.
  13. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coin Doug, it's very interesting when we get to see some variance based on the die-cutters inability to fit in all of the titulature.

14. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I only have a couple Troas coins... perhaps minted 500 years apart from each other:

upload_2017-11-5_10-25-48.png
    TROAS Neandria AR Obol 4thC BCE 0.56g 8mm Laur hd Apollo r - NEA N Ram stdng right within incuse sq SNG Cop 446

RI Valerian I 253-260 CE AE 20mm Alexandria Troas mint Horse Grazing.jpg
    RI Valerian I 253-260 CE AE 20mm Alexandria Troas mint Horse Grazing

15. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

ValerianTroas.jpg Troas, Alexandreia. Valerian I

AlexandriaTroasCara.jpg Troas, Alexandria. Caracalla AE23. Apollo Smintheus

AlexandriaTroasSmintheus.jpg Troas, Alexandria. Apollo Smintheus AE18

Smojo, Mikey Zee, dlhill132 and 7 others like this.
  16. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Beautiful coin especially the reverse! The Wolf /Lupa creature is great!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  17. Publius

Publius Active Member

Nice coins guys! I just got my first Troas. I could not find the same example on the internet, but maybe Elagabalus? :) s-l1600.png
    Æ21 Elagabalus AD 218 – 222
    Alexandria, Troas

Obv: (?) M AVR ANTONINVS
    Laureate head right.
    Rev:COL AVG TRO ALEX Horse advancing right, grazing.

Ajax, Mikey Zee, dlhill132 and 4 others like this.
  18. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

Caracalla AES.jpg CaracallaTyrerev.jpg
    Here is another interesting provincial coin of Caracalla:
    CARACALLA laureate head r. “IMP M AVR ANTONINVS”. Rev.: Bull standing r., purple shell before, vexillum with “LEG / III / GAL” inscribed behind. “SEP TVRVS METRO COLONI», AE26, Mint:Tyre, Phoenicia 211-217 AD, (26 mm, 12.93 gr.)Ref.: BMC 377, SNG Righetti -, Mounted in ancient times. Legionary issues were often used by the legionaries themselves for decoration, so this coin may have been in use by a soldier of the Third Legio. The Legio III Gallica was one of the oldest, most venerable legions, formed under Julius Caesar during the conquest of Gallica. She was stationed at Raphaneae and Damascus and existed until the 5. Century AD - more than 450 years! The bull shown on this coin was her emblem.

Caracalla AES.jpg CaracallaTyrerev.jpg View attachment 698297

Ajax, Smojo, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  19. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Here is one from Laodicea ad Mare:

DiadumenianLaodicea.jpg

Diadumenian, son of Macrinus who reigned 16 months in 217-218.
    30-29 mm. 16.72 grams.
    M OP ANTONINOS NOB CAES
    ROMAE FEL, wolf and twins right
    Lingren and Kovacs 2099. Sear Greek Imperial --, SNG Copenhagen --, WEbe --, McClean --, BMC --

I think the white is from lead in the flan.

20. nicholasz219

nicholasz219 Well-Known Member

@dougsmit Nice OP coin and I also like the second set of three. In particular the Septimius Severus Provincial.

21. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have only dabbled with Troas and each of my purchases were not based on anything other than self justification of the purchases.

1) I always have been a sucker for Caracalla in his scaled armour... he just looks so brutal for some reason

TROAS. Alexandria. Caracalla (AD 198-217). Ae24.
    Obv: M AVREL ANTONINVS IOV, Laureate and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    Rev: COL ALEXAND AVG, Eagle flying right, holding forepart of bull in talons right

Bellinger -. SNG Cop -.

[​IMG]

2) A Max. Thrax (and you can see it's him even with the low grade of the coin) with two errors on the obverse legend (a 3rd M and a retrograde S)

TROAS. Alexandria. Ae27. Maximinus Thrax
    Obv:- IMP MAXIMIMVS(retrograde and sic), PIA, Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    Rev:- A in upper left, V in upper right, TROAS in exe, Horse facing right, grazing, tree behind

Bellinger A364

[​IMG]

3) A civic issue. Primarily bought because of the scarring of the flan created during preparation of the blank.

Alexandria, Troas, AE23

Obv:– CO-L TROA, turreted bust of Tyche right, vexillum behind;
    Rev:– CO AVG TRO, eagle, with open wings, standing right on forepart of a bull
    Minted in Alexandria, Troas, c. 253 - 268 A.D. reigns of Valerian and Gallienus

22.38 mm. 5.22 gms.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted