Caracalla on Horseback

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Aug 16, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

This was a long time wish list coin that popped up at my local shop recently. If I remember correctly, is signifies the invasion of Britain.

IMG_3067.JPG
    Caracalla
    ANTONINVS PIVS AVG Laureate head right
    PONTIF TR P XI COS III, PROF in ex, Emperor on horseback pacing right, holding transverse spear, figure kneeling under horse's foreleg
    RIC 108

I also pull this one out of the mail box today. A pretty decent FH from Rome, rated R3.
    IMG_3073.JPG
    DN CONSTAN-TIVS PF AVG Constantius II pearl-diademed, draped, cuirassed bust right, B behind / FEL TEMP RE-PARATIO soldier standing left, spearing a fallen horseman wearing a Phrygian helmet, clutching. Gamma left, R wreath Z in ex.
    Rome 256 R3

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

That's a sweet FH. I have the officinae P and T but have never seen a Z. Great find.

randygeki likes this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coins, I really like your Caracalla on horseback, rough surfaces but strong detail good pickup.

randygeki likes this.
  5. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks. Im surprised no one got it was on my watch list for a while.

Thanks! It's a lil better in hand and a decent price so I had to go home with it.

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I also like the Caracalla denarius---interesting portrait and a cool reverse...and a interesting FH variety!!

I believe this type commemorates Caracalla’s departure (profectio) for his Parthian campaign, although I could be mistaken.... as I often am:p

randygeki likes this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NICE CAPTURES @randygeki ! Cool RARE FH! Z Officina? Does that mean it was the last minting area opened up to strike these coins? Hence, lower minting volumes? That is really cool ! I have a soft spot for scarcer/rarer items just because they are harder to chase and capture... thrill of the hunt type of thing. And, knowing you, you found a fantastic deal! Congrats!

LOL, Caracalla... not a cool dude, but great coin! I found a scarcer variety of this guy too. If it weren't for the fact it was a harder to get QUINARIUS, I would not have gotten Caracalla's coins. :)

upload_2017-8-16_7-48-21.png
    RI Caracalla 198-217 AR Quinarius CE 213 1.3g 13.6mm Laureate - Victory Wreath Palm RIC IV 101 RSC 450 RARE

Severus Alexander, TIF, Ajax and 7 others like this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sweet Caracalla!

I like the Fallen Horseman too.

This was my latest, no horse but I wanted an example with a younger portrait and the reverse was icing on the cake.

[​IMG]
    Caracalla, AD 198-217 AR Denarius, 20mm, 2.8g, 12h; Rome Mint, AD 206
    Obv.: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG; Laureate, draped bust right, seen from behind.
    Rev.: PONTIF TR P VIIII COS II; Mars, in military dress, standing left, resting right hand on shield and holding spear.

Severus Alexander, TIF, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This Septimius fourree is a mule with reverse of Caracalla it would seem but no such coin is known to me. The rider seems young and is riding over a fallen Parthian which is appropriate for when Caracalla was TRP II (199 AD). The expanded legend should be PART MAX TRP II. Despite all its faults, I have always loved the style and wish I could find a solid with such flair. It worries me when the fake stuff was better than the official. Where did this die cutter learn his art?
    re3520bb1313.jpg

Severus Alexander, TIF, Ajax and 6 others like this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions, Tandy, especially the FH.

randygeki likes this.
  11. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

That is a very interesting OP Caracalla.

Caracalla was such an innocent looking young man.

Caracalla Denarius 201AD As Sol Rector Orbis.jpg

So what if he killed hundreds of S.
    Severus' followers before he left Britain, or killed his brother, or massacred thousands in Alexandria due to a joke. Have you seen the sweet baths he built?

Baths of Caracalla (1).jpg

496-625x410.jpg

Yeah, definitely one cool imperial dude!

Caracalla Serapis denarius.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    TJC, Severus Alexander, TIF and 6 others like this.
  12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A very nice Caracalla. But it wouldn't be a CT Randy post without a FH! Cool rarity.

randygeki likes this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks all, and great coins :) I don't doubt Caracalla was a bad dude, but I wonder how much was propaganda too.

It really isn't my area either lol so IDK. I'll have to do sone searching.

It was made the the 7th workshop.

https://www.tesorillo.com/aes/_cec/cecas1.htm

Antioch had 15 offinae

First IMG_2711.JPG

15th
    IMG_2937.JPG
    I have seen a few fouree that surpass official mints. I regret not buying them.

14. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Caracalla is a sweet emperor. Don't listen to the fake news about him. What's a few thousand executed people between friends? Nothing, right? Just ask Caracalla's wife Plautilla just how sweet he is....uhm, on second thought, better not ask her. :(

Poor girl. :dead:

Plautilla.jpg

PS: Caracalla wanted me to remind his subjects that if you want to keep your head on your shoulders, don't forget the magic words: "Caracalla is awesome. I will not make any jokes about the Emperor." And whatever you do, don't name your children Geta.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    TJC, Severus Alexander, TIF and 6 others like this.
  15. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Too bad HBOs Rome didn't last past Octavian :/The Severan period would have made for a few good seasons.

Severus Alexander and Mikey Zee like this.
  17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions, especially the FH.

randygeki likes this.
  18. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Great historical Caracalla! (Nifty FH too.)

This sest. was minted in 212, the year he killed Geta and massacred Geta's adherents:
    Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 10.01.22 PM.png

Mikey Zee, Bing, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Thanks guys! Man thats an awesome portrait.

Severus Alexander likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted