Caracalla galley denarius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, Jul 22, 2018.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

My last purchase of Caracalla denarius. It seems to reflect the return of the Severan family to Rome (galley to the left) after nearly a five-year absence in the East, from the summer of 197 until the spring or summer of 202. The initial purpose of the journey was to wage war against the Parthians, during which they killed all of the men who remained in the capital Ctesiphon, gathered a great amount of booty, and took as slaves perhaps 100,000 women and children. The royal family then remained in the East until early 202, and began that year with Septimius Severus and Caracalla jointly assuming the consulate in Antioch. It was the first time they shared the honor, and it was also the first time in more than forty years that the two emperors were consuls. Not long after this ceremony, the royal family started its arduous journey back to Italy, proceeding by landing through Asia Minor to Bithynia, then crossing the Propontis into Thrace, and presumably tracking the Danube until they descended upon Italy.

Caracalla. 198-217 AD. AR Denarius (3.1 gm). Struck 201-202 AD. Obv. ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right, seen from behind. Rev. ADVENT AVGG, galley with rowers sailing left. RIC 120.

Caracalla5.jpg

Post whatever you consider relevant and your galleys denarii.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Own no galleys, but nice addition!

Noah Finney and benhur767 like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Note both of our coins suffer from weak strike where the oars on the reverse and shoulder on the obverse had to compete for the available metal.
    rm6635fd2424.jpg

5. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

I love these ancient coins...........wish I could have some as silver or gold!:woot::woot::woot::woot:

RomanGreekCoin3 likes this.
  6. RomanGreekCoin3

RomanGreekCoin3 Active Member

You shouldnt feel that way,Noah

Most of my coins are orichalum,bronze or copper

But I am a cheapskate, and the cheaper the coins the more likely they are authentic. Its rumored that 40% of all silver denarius on ebay are fakes.

Even higher for gold. No one really knows for sure though i feel safer with the cheap ones.

I would rather have a cheap authentic cull than an expensive gold fake that I spend a fortune on

Enjoy the history... thats what I do.

April

Noah Finney likes this.
  7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very nice! Here's a Caracalla denarius I decide to rephotograph today:

Caracalla INDVLG FECVNDAE Denarius.jpg
    Caracalla AD 198-217.
    Roman AR Denarius 3.37 g, 19.7 mm.
    Rome mint, AD 211, third emission of Caracalla as co-ruler with Geta.
    Obv: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head, right.
    Rev: INDVLG FECVNDAE, Julia Domna as Indulgentia, wearing polos, seated left on cerule chair, extending right hand and holding scepter.
    Refs: RIC 214; BMCRE 73; RCV 6805; Hill 1292.

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Time to show this x6 classic with its jaunty galley again...

Caracalla - x6 Den Adventvs Galley 2589.jpg
    CARACALLA
    AR Denarius. 3.17g, 18.5mm. Rome mint, AD 201-202. RIC IV 120. O: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG, laureate and draped bust right. R: ADVENT AVGG, galley sailing left; signum and aquila at stern.
    Ex stevex6 Collection; Ex Dr. George Spradling Collection

Andres2, randygeki, Bing and 6 others like this.
  9. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Very nice examples Doug and zumbly.

10. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

11. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

I love galleys on coins. That's why I couldn't resist this denarius that I received today.I presume those three passengers are the 'royal family' returning from campaign. Looks like this boat has four rowers, although I have also seen this type with five.

Caracalla def.jpg

Caracalla, denarius
    19 mm, 2.28 g.
    Obv. ANTONINVS PIVS AVG / Laureate, draped bust right.
    Rev. ADVENTVS AVGVSTOR / Galley sailing left, four rowers in centre, three seated figures under canopy at right, mast with sail on prow, two standards on stern, waves below.
    RIC 121.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted