Featured Caracalla Antioch, Syria Silver TETRADRACHM - Higher Grade

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rexesq, Jul 12, 2011.

1. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Well I bit the bullet and finnally bought this coin from Sphinx Numismatics.....
    I had been watching it for months, many months, as he relisted it several times... each time I was hoping the price would lower, but it never did :(.... So after losing a low grade Macrinus tet today on ebay due to my computer's internet dying right as I was about to enter my bid 10 seconds before the auction ended (I'm almost sure I would have won it considering the ammount I was going to use as my 'Max Bid' it ended up selling for $52USD) I'm kinda glad I didn't buy it now though here is the link:

Link to Macrinus Tet that I didnt get a chance to bid on due to internet issues: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270777712834&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

caracalla_tet_antioch_small-flan-crack_sphinx_01.jpg

I still want a Radiate bust Macrinus tet for my collection, I love the radiate used on some of his tets, it has alot more points (7 or 8 i think) than the ones used on most other emperors or the ones used on Antoninianii from Rome, which usually have 4 and 5 pointed radiate crowns on the Emperor. I think the Radiate bust Macrinus tets have really cool portraits, and that radiate looks very cool IMO.

But so after losing that Macrinus tet due to unforseen problems I decided that now was the time for the Caracalla one I had been watching. So I bought it. (maybe my internet going out literally seconds before the Macrinus coin ended and right before I was going to enter my bid was a sign from above that I was meant to lose that one, and buy the Caracalla tet I have been wanting for so long ;) )
    I love the coin, it has a hairline crack, which is something you don't see too often on these thick Tetradrachmai.... but is beautiful, and what an amazing portrait of Caracalla, and a great looking eagle on the reverse.... I have a VERY similar one but in a lower grade, however it weighs 14.5 grams, which is nice and heavy.
    So anyhow I just wanted to show off my new purchase for my collection and see what all you ancient collectors thought of it.

caracalla_tet_14.5grams_00.JPG

Also, I have seen coins of Caracalla, similar to mine from Antioch, that were being sold as 'Caracalla War Issues' .... does anyone know anything about these 'War Issues' of Caracalla? any info would be interesting to have..... here is a link to one of Sphinx Numismatic's Caracalla tets that is said to be a 'Caracalla War Issue'.
    'Caracalla War Issue' Tet: http://cgi.ebay.com/404CKG9-SYRO-PHOENICIAN-COINAGE-CARACALLA-AR-TETRA-VF-/320643098659?_trksid=p4012.m263&_trkparms=algo=SIC&its=I&itu=UCI%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUFI%2BDDSIC&otn=12&pmod=360296339983&ps=63&clkid=1298363746134581986

here is the info on the newest Caracalla Tet (most of the info comes from the seller, correct me if any is wrong please, I would appreciate that very much):
    ---
    ---------
    ---
    Ancient Roman Empire
    Emperor Caracalla (198 -217 AD)
    Silver Tetradrachm of Antioch, Syria
    Fourth group, 214-217 AD, First Issue, no 'Delta E' on rev.

(titles in Greek)
    obv: Laureate bust right.
    rev: Eagle standing on leg and thigh of sacrificial animal. Head right, tail right, wings spread, holding wreath in beak.

12.0 Grams, 27mm.

Ex Sphinx Numismatics
    ---
    ---------
    ---
    I will take photos myself as soon as I recieve the coin, also I am adding a photo of one of my other Caracalla tets ( I have three ) that looks very similar to this one in design and style, aside from the size of the eagle's body, which is smaller on the new one.... the newer one is much nicer, but I like them both alot..... and like I said the lower quality one weighs 14.5 grams, nice chunk of silver.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
    randygeki, stevex6 and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a great addition, especially with the sacrificial animal. Shame about the hairline crack but no biggie in my book, better then split completely in half.

Im curious about the "war issue" myself.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

'Caracalla War Issue' Tet
    new term to me

5. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Hmmm yeah doug, I had never heard the term either, but saw it on that one coin being listed by him.... I asked him about it and he said he would have to check his books and whatnot, I asked him a while back too, so I don't know, but it intrigues me as to what he meant.....

I also am not sure if the 'fourth group, first issue' stuff is correct about my particular caracalla tet.... do you know?
    I don't know how someone would be able to tell that for sure without markings, or lack thereof, he does write 'no Delta E' on rev' ...but I don't know.... the other lower grade caracalla tet I have that I posted a picture of above has no markings like that on the reverse either so....
    They both seem to have the same exact markings, and titles.... even the little dots between words that are right above the portrait (which I like, the dots that is). The first two greek letters on the reverse of the nicer one are worn off however.... but I dont think that is what he is talking about when he says 'no Delta E' on rev' . But I am not sure.... I have seen other issues that resemble the rev of the Elagabalus tets which have a letter or two next to the head of the Eagle....

6. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A most enviable tetradrachm Rexseq. I really love those

Congrats on a nice find
    Q

7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yes very interesting coin. I know its tough losing something you wanted, especilly to unforeseen circumstances. For Ebay I would recommend a sniping service. I place my bids automatically 5 seconds before close and do not even have to remember about them. I lose a lot but also pick up incredible deals, and avoid putting myself into a bidding war. :)

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

gi1390bb0424.jpg

Many (most) Antioch coins of the period have delta epsilon in the field. I don't know the meaning. Anyone?

9. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Well that means alot coming from you Cucumbor! Thanks mate! I am quite happy with it.

Not familiar with sniping services medoraman, and it was an internet failure and it had to reconnect, which took more than the 8 or 10 seconds left on the one I was going for, it would have been a decent price for a Macrinus tet, but pretty worn, especially the eagle and the top of his radiate bust.... I'm sure another radiate bust Macrinus tet will come around one of these days, whether I'll be there to make a try, I can't say.

dougsmit
    : Interesting Tet, quite an amazingly nice eagle, and great portrait as well..... As far as these types of Caracalla go I have two 4drachmai of him from Antioch, and one from Tyre, and also a Drachm from Caesarea, Cappadocia, ex CNG. The two I posted above are the Antioch ones it seems, niether with the Delta Epsilion like dougs', but I have seen it on other tets of Caracalla.... and I don't know the meaning but have also seen something similar on some tets of Elagabalus.

Cucumbor likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Rex, just in case you were interested, sniping services are where for a tiny fee, (most often only on successful bids), the service places the bid at the last second for you. Their computers are always online and have backup so you are virually guaranteed to have your bid placed. I like them since I do not have to remember when auctions closing, and no one sees I am interested until its too late.

I was just pointing out their usefulness. I use www.snip.pl but there are many.

12. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Very interesting, I will likely look into that, thank you medora man, I appreciate it!

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Last week I got home a few minutes too late to bid on a rather rare Septimius with Victory carrying a wreath in both hands that I wish I had sniped (I never have). I wonder who bought it?

14. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Hm, I didnt see it.... what denomination of Septimius Severus coin are you talking about doug? got a link to the ended sale?
    I have the VICTORIAE AUGG FEL Denarius of Septimius Severus with Victory flying holding an open wreath in both hands and a shield below.... I don't think it is a rare one though....

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

16. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

17. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Ah yes doug, I actually bid on that very coin!! I didn't know the two hands on the wreath was rare I just really liked the look of it, the style and everything.... My top bid was a bit over $20 USD though, and then I wasn't at home when it ended so I didn't get a chance to try to bid any higher... not sure if I would have though or not.... but yes for $28 someone got a pretty good deal I'd say.

18. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Speaking of Septimius Severus.......

I ended up buying this later Septimius Severus Denarius from the same seller actually.... for less than the last one sold for ;) I like it alot. I like the short title used on his later coins from the Rome mint, and I like how nice and round and well centered and well struck alot of them are. I just wish mine had a bit more of a deep strike on the reverse, but it is still nice, I have always liked the VICT PART MAX series.
    I still really want one of the later Rome mint issues of Septimius Severus with Neptune holding his trident on the reverse, that and the 'RESTITUTOR URBIS' one are two of my favorite types of Septimius Severus Denarii, the Neptune one being high on my list if I can find a good well struck example.
    ------------
    Roman Empire
    Emperor Septimius Severus (193 - 211 AD) Silver Denarius.
    VICT PART MAX -'Total Victory in Parthia'
    "My victory in Parthia was complete"
    Struck in AD 202 at the Rome Mint.

obv: SEVERUS PIUS AVG - Laureate head right.
    rev: VICT PART MAX - Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm.
    ------------

I like the slight toning on the obv and the clarity of the letters in the obverse title. A bit of wear on the portrait but not too bad, still quite nice IMO.
    I might try to find a matching Caracalla denarius with the same reverse sometime in the future.....

Attached Files:

19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

It looks kinda weird with such a short title; quite different than coins of Trajan :D Pretty cool addition!

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

General rule: When you first become emperor you tend to use long names including parts of your family names or predecessor's name to establish identity and legitimacy. If you last longer, you can cut back to shorter names because everybody knows who you are and that you are in charge. Certainly there are exceptions but see how often this 'rule' works. Trajan used long legends long after most would have cut back but he did drop Nerva to make room for more names of defeated foes.

21. Simeon1233

Simeon1233 New Member

I also have a similar coin! Can you guys tell me what you think about it? Is it real or fake?!

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/moni_0051/SANY0074_zps869ffb1d.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted