Caracalla and Plautilla together, and: 3,055? Hard to believe.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Donna, I really enjoy your posts and am glad you are so active. Nice collection too.

Plautilla has evaded my bottom-feeding grasp, but I recently got my first Imperial example of her hubby in his bearded, adult, frowny mode, which I'll toss out here. My guess is that he was a difficult spouse:

Caracalla - Den. Hercules lot Jan 2021 (0a).jpg

Caracalla Denarius
    (213 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head right / P M TR P XVI COS IIII P P
    Hercules standing left, holding branch, club & lion's skin.
    RIC 206a; RSC 220; BMC 48.
    (2.51 grams / 18 mm)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. marchal steel

marchal steel Active Member

Hey Donna-
    Just keep doing what you are doing--- I get a kick out of your posts (always learning something), and you have the Coooolest coins! I really enjoyed seeing what you have, and I do like the couples in this post I'm replying to. In addition, the hairstyle is captured beautifully.
    I wish you the best this evening at the Javits Center. And I want to hear from you tomorrow.

Marchal Steel

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  4. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

Your post always have alot of detailed info, your knolage of coins and the history behind them is amazing. I always look forward to what you will be showing next.

5. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Plautilla Ar Denarius Laodicea mint 202 AD Obv bust right draped. Rv Concordia seated right RIC 372 3.37 grms 18 mm Xplautilla13.JPG I always thought that this woman was very unfortunate to be where she was. Caracalla always struck me as the bridegroom from hell and if memory serves she got into a bit of a conflict with Julia Domna probably not the smartest thing to do as that woman along with her sister appears to have ice water running in her veins.
    Planchet archives at: https://edmontoncoinclub.com/the-planchet/the-planchet-archived/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  6. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Lots of Kudos on your CT anniversary @DonnaML it is always a pleasure to read your posts and the research you do and share with us. Keep up your excellent work (sorry, the website is so slow that I can't insert an emoji - something that I always like to do...)

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That reverse design was also used with a CONCORDIA FELIX legend. Astonishingly, I have never posted this before, even though I have had it since 2007.

Plautilla CONCORDIA FELIX Denarius.jpg
    Plautilla, AD 202-205.
    Roman AR denarius, 3.40 g, 17.80 mm, 12 h.
    Rome, AD 202.
    Obv: PLAVTILLA AVGVSTA, bare-headed and draped bust, right; hair firmly waved and drawn down on neck.
    Rev: CONCORDIA FELIX, Caracalla, togate, standing left, clasping right hands with Plautilla, draped, standing right.
    Refs: RIC 365b; BMCRE5 418; RSC 12; RCV 7066; Hill 584, 586; CRE 433.
    Notes: The British Museum incorrectly cross-references 418 to RIC 365a.

8. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Congrats on your 1st anniversary on CT. I've learned a lot in your threads on Republican coinage.

Keep the pace. At this rhythm, you'll catch up (in about 25 years) with @GDJMSP who's approaching 50,000 messages !

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Kinda makes ya wonder doesn't it. Which is gonna happen first ? :D

Me get to 50k ?

Or, everybody else get to 4 million ?

10. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks so much to all of you for your very kind words and for the coins you posted. I apologize for not responding to each of you, but when I got home last night I wasn't even able to read the thread, let alone post on it. (I see I'm not the only one for whom CT wasn't properly functioning last night.) @tenbobbit, I fixed the error on when I joined. I promise it really was only one year ago; I put down 2019 because I'm still not completely used to "last year" being 2020 rather than 2019.

I'll post my only other coin meeting my own request for a Roman husband and wife on the same side of a coin; I bought it because it was my only way of obtaining a coin depicting Tranquillina at anything like a reasonable cost.

Gordian III with wife Tranquillina, AE 26 mm., 241-244 AD, Thracia, Anchialus [Pomorie, Bulgaria]. Obv. Confronted busts of Gordian III right, laureate, draped and cuirassed, and Tranquillina left, draped and wearing stephane; ΑVT Κ M ANT / ΓOPΔIANOC AVΓ clockwise around; CEB TPAN // KVΛΛINA in exergue; border of dots/ Rev. Apollo standing left, holding patera in right hand; left arm resting on column; ΟΥΛΠΙΑΝωΝ / ΑΓXΙΑΛEωΝ clockwise around; border of dots. RPC Online VII.2 48961; Moushmov 2939; Varbanov II 668; AMNG II 656. 26 mm., 11.91 g.

Gordian III - Tranquillina Anchialus (Thrace) - jpg version.jpg
    I would think that there must be other couples on Roman coins besides Caracalla-Plautilla and Gordian III-Tranquillina, but I don't specifically know of any. Does anyone?

PS: I did get my first Covid vaccination last night at the Javits Center; it turned out to be the Pfizer vaccine and everything was fine. My son came along to keep me company and in case I didn't feel well afterwards. But not only did I feel absolutely nothing when I got the shot (Me: "I didn't feel anything!" Nurse: "That's because I'm good!" Me: "Yes you are!"), but I felt nothing afterwards, not even a sore arm. And nothing since then except a slight sore arm about 6 am today that was gone an hour or so later. My next shot is already scheduled for Feb. 19, and I'm looking forward to it.

I was personally pleased, but somewhat disappointed in a general sense, that there seemed to be only a few dozen other people getting vaccinated at the Javits Center while I was there. Hopefully it was just that it was in the evening and/or because they limited appointments due to an anticipated supply shortage (fortunately, a lot more came to NY during the week), and not because of a lack of demand. It was quite a surreal scene, like some weird movie -- a giant, quiet, mostly empty convention center the size of a few airplane hangars, with more staff than "patients," and the staff largely consisting (in addition to the people taking information and administering the shots) of very pleasant young National Guardsman in their uniforms stationed every 30 feet or so to point you in the right direction, tell you where to sit, etc. Plus the yellow arrows on the floor telling you the same thing. Plus my glasses kept fogging up and I could barely see anything throughout! In general, though, if I were to give a Yelp review of the experience, I'd give it 5 stars.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Philip and Otacilia Severa:

[​IMG] Philip I and Otacilia Severa, AD 244-249.
    Roman Provincial Æ Pentassarion; 12.50 g, 26.1 mm, 7 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, Legate Prastina Messallinus, AD 244-246.
    Obv: ΑVΤ Μ ΙΟVΛ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC ΑVΓ Μ | WΤΑΚ CЄΒ-ΗΡΑ CЄ, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Philip I right, vis-à-vis diademed and draped bust of Otacilia left.
    Rev: VΠ ΠΡΑCΤ ΜΕCCΑΛΛΕΙΝΟV ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟ | ΛΕΙΤΩΝ, Sarapis wearing kalathos, standing left, extending arm and holding scepter; E (denomination) in left field.
    Refs: AMNG I 1194; Moushmov 852; Varbanov 2082 (die match); Hristova & Jekov 6.41.6.1; SNRIS Marcianopolis 75.

12. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Happy "birthday", @DonnaML

As all the others stated, your posts are very nice.

Also, 8 posts isn't too bad, I'd think. Now I need to look at mine!

Edit: 1.6 ;)

DonnaML likes this.
  13. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

You’re a star, Donna! Never change! :)

Erin

14. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

You have become a regular quite fast and also a good influence for people to put that extra care and interest into researching what they buy an/or already have. And this latter feat is probably the best sign of a great collector, regardless of what she/he collects, whether coins or general artifacts.

PS: congrats for the shot too!

+VGO.DVCKS, Everett Guy and DonnaML like this.
  15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

@DonnaML VOT I - MVLT X !

I enjoy your posts very much and feel you've ever been part of the family/community here

To celebrate here's a denarius featuring both Caracalla & Plautilla too

[​IMG]

....and my Plautilla overview

[​IMG]

Q

+VGO.DVCKS, Spaniard, Bing and 5 others like this.
  16. Seated J

Seated J Well-Known Member

Donna, I always enjoy your posts and the thought you put into them. My Plautilla is also the first ancient coin I ever owned.
    Plautilla-denarius-obv.JPG Plautilla-denarius-rev.JPG

I don't think the reverse inscription was meant to be ironic at the time.

17. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Very nice!

DonnaML likes this.
  18. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

@DonnaML , I just can't read everything in CT, but I usually scroll to find your posts to read first. They are not only informative, but they solicit lots of interesting responses.
    Lovely Plautilla denarius.

19. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

happy aniversary Donna & thank you for sharing youself and your coins with us, past, present and future! nice coin of her :) (i've yet to get one:watching:)

DonnaML likes this.
  20. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That's a cool coin @DonnaML ! That is totally a Bride of Frankenstein hairdo!

Poor Plautilla, I always feel sorry for the girl. :(

[​IMG]

Plautilla. Augusta, AD 202-205. AR Denarius

Struck under Septimius Severus and Caracalla, AD 202-203. O: Draped bust right R: Concordia standing left, holding patera and scepter. RIC IV 363a, Rome mint. 18 mm, 3.7 g.

Here is a husband wife team on the same side, I just had this coin out today to do a bronze disease check, it had an outbreak of it a couple years ago. All clear!

[​IMG]

Justin II and Sophia, 565-578 AD, AE Half Follis
    O: Justin and Sophia, R: K (20 nummi) with regnal year (year 5) flanking and cross above. 5.9 g, 22 X 17 mm.

21. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@DonnaML, Congratulations! And Please, Please don't slow down Too much with your posts here!
    I have always admired the way you respond to other people's difficult posts. ...Yes, you're THAT MUCH better at navigating that than, for instance, (...not to put too fine a point on it) I am. ...No, it's not just your legal background; you're just That Much of a first-class Grownup. (...I'm likelier to just wade in, brandishing my sword. Hope I can learn more from you your example than I've managed to so far!)
    Thanks to your remarkable rhetorical skills (attributable to both of the above qualities), the consistent impression I get of your more ostensibly (big, fat, balloon-sized air quotes) "controversial" posts is that they are so due solely to the content, rather than the tone. Which, in turn, is one primary marker in distinguishing trolls from people who just say something somebody might not find easy to hear. In any number of instances, I've had occasion to keenly appreciate how you, especially, navigate the (yes, I think substantive) distinction. (...In a world reeking of false dichotomies, this Ain't one of 'em.) In the process, you've done some seriously substantive (not to mention brave) work in keeping this forum on the level for which that many of us love it.
    ...Just Hoping you stay with us. We Need you!!!
    And, needless to say, I'm enjoying the anticipation of your Egyptian artifact!
    Just, All, Serious, Main Best.

DonnaML likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted