Car wash change exchanger

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by MatrixMP-9, Jul 16, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I dont have a car wash close by but theres one near a place Im going next week. Is it a good place to take $10 to get some quarters to check out? I never much paid attention in the past to what comes out of those things. I know they will be damaged and banged up but is it worth a look??? I guess I could ask the same question about soda machines and laundry mats. Ever find something interesting???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

just buy a roll of quarters.

Hookman, CHARLES ROSENBAUM and tmeyer like this.
  4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

You'd do better going to a local bank for rolled coins.

Hookman and CHARLES ROSENBAUM like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Go to the bank and buy a roll of quarters as you'll increase your chances of your findings. Money exchangers are designed for one purpose. They provide a service.

Slip in a dollar bill and get Quarters to perform that service. Car wash, arcade games, laundromats, etc. take the Dollars to the bank. They also take the Quarters out of each machine and put them back in the money changer.

Hookman likes this.
  6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

A place that uses a quarter exchanger, (car wash, laundromat) the owner is just interested in the cash, and the quarters get recycled a million times into the change machine. I would expect worn and over circulated clad quarters.

Or I can just agree with Collecting above me. :)

Hookman likes this.
  7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Some collectors go to banks regularly and apparently some are fairly lucky! :D It's really all about being in the right place at the right time. In short, you go inside the B of A or whatever and some old lady just sold all her rolled up coins to the bank. You ask for a roll of quarters and blamo they give you what they just bought from the little old lady as she had them rolls since the 1960's and theoretically there's plenty of silver in them rolls. :D Bank, possible $$$ Carwash=$0.00 good luck! :D

Hookman likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have a car wash around the corner that I frequent usually two times a week. I always slip a five or a ten in the changer and do a quick search before I begin my wash. Never, not once in five years have I found anything that merits any interest. I agree with the others. Buy rolls from your bank.

Hookman and Autoturf like this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The laundromats I have been to have signs on the machines that state "Change for customers only!"
    They will watch you!

Ikw, Hookman and I_like_Morgans like this.
  10. MatrixMP-9

I went ahead and washed car when by there. The "sound" alone of those quarters landing in the bottom of the metal cup and then clanking all over each other was enough to make me laugh. Just something I never paid much attention to until I started looking at change. This hobby is only fun for me and I love the hunt. I have not made a single cent on any coins Ive found....mostly because Ive never identified anything worth much more than face value or the value was too low to mess with. I did find 4 pennies and a nickel in the wash bay on the ground though lol! One was a 99 penny. Someone must have been cleaning out their car and tossed them out for some reason or another.....I dont like to think of the reasons "why" since I picked them up and tossed them in my center council lol.

Hookman, paddyman98 and LA_Geezer like this.
  11. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Customer service at a local supermarket is happy to sell me rolls of coins.

I'm still looking for a 2019-P nickel.

Hookman likes this.
  12. MatrixMP-9

LA, Publix down here is really cool about it too. I always ask for "the ugliest roll" in the drawer.

Hookman and NYandW like this.
  13. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Smooth! :D That should get you something good! :cigar:

14. MatrixMP-9

Fretboard....I do that to get the rolls they roll there at the store or even better the rolls old people bring in that they rolled to buy bread or whatever. I dont want the ones from the bank. Ive always had more interesting pennies from rolls that look "ugly" compared to neat clean bank rolls. I think some of the retired folks go through drawers with 40 year old stuff and find the pennies at the bottom when they are in need. I dont think it matters that much. some people like it but once I got a roll of all 2018 and it was kind of a bummer....except nearly 20 of them had the same exact die crack on the shield.

fretboard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted