Capped Bust Value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyricfive, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Hey all...I'm really trying to avoid getting this one graded. Can I get some opinions on what this particular coin would be worth?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Something looks fake to me. The eagle has a tongue. Denticles are funky, especially on the reverse.

4. CoinCorgi

Looks cleaned too.

I'd be pleased to be wrong though.

5. CoinCorgi

Hmmm...maybe just the rare small letters has no tongue. Large letter type seems to have the tongue.

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm fairly certain this coin is a fake. Where did you acquire it and can it be returned?

7. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

I acquired a large assortment from my stepfather who passed. Curious to know how you are spotting this is a fake? I have no idea how to determine this. I appreciate any info.

8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Sorry for your loss. This coin isn't my area of expertise, and we try not to give all the details to teach potential counterfeiters who read these posts, but the edge and color seem off. If I were you, I'd test it with a magnet to see if it sticks. The real coin would not be magnetic. You can also check weight and diameter to see if they match what that coin should have.

9. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Can you post a picture of the edge ( the reeding) ?

10. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Denticles on the reverse don't look right at all.

11. Lyricfive

Lyricfive Active Member

Much appreciated. I hate to find out this one is a fake. Oh well....on to the next.

12. CoinCorgi

Don't give up on it yet. We've based our impressions on pictures - it may look diffferent in hand. Thus you should have someone look at it in hand - try your local coin shop.

Also, I for one am an amateur so I'd wait for more knowledgable cointalkers to give their opinion.

furham and longshot like this.
  13. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Looks like a "S" mint special to me...

As in Shanghai :)

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

All we have is a photo. You have the coin.

15. Jayyk38

Jayyk38 Member

The tongue looks normal for a "reeded edge" Bust half. Font looks ok as well. The dentils do look a little wacky tho. I think its genuine. Compare your pics to known good pics, for example on coinfacts photgrade. I can't really be of any help on grade tho. And I'm no expert but I do collect these.

CoinCorgi likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted