Capped Bust Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by olero, Aug 24, 2015.

1. olero

olero Active Member

NSP, Silverhouse and phankins11 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

4. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

It looks XF to me, and quite attractive - with original skin. The hit on the lip probably doesn't bother me as much as it would most people.

phankins11 and Paddy54 like this.
  5. olero

olero Active Member

pankens11,
    The link that you provided is for a Bust Half the CDN has a Half listed VF at $82 and XF at $145.
    However, this is a Capped Bust Quarter. The CDN has list VF at $140 and XF at $410.

The surfaces look good and the detail is there except the stars are flat.

My in-experienced eye doesn't think it has been cleaned. I am hoping someone with more experience than I could help me out. When I buy a coin that I like I usually keep it for a very long time.

phankins11 likes this.
  6. olero

olero Active Member

Yes, looks like Miss Liberty got into a fight and got hit in the lip.:)

7. phankins11

doh! My bad, I've been dealing with bust halves all day, I just went to the halves like my habbit. Sorry for the confusion.

8. olero

olero Active Member

pankens11,
    No problem but thanks for the link.

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I say it's XF plus and for the hit on her lip I wouldn't have any issues . These are not easy to find in any grade.
    I was at a show Sunday and out of 20 some dealers there was not one in the house. They hold their value and this one is a very nice specimen even with the fat lip.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    phankins11 and olero like this.
  10. olero

olero Active Member

Thanks for all your comments. It looked like a great addition to my type set that I am trying to complete. Now all I need is a nice seated dollar.
    Russ

NSP, Paddy54 and phankins11 like this.
  11. phankins11

@Paddy54 and @harris498 glad you guys chimed in...actually learned some stuff here...

Paddy54 likes this.
  12. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

What a great example of the capped bust 25c. I'd be proud to own something like that. It would go great with my quarter type set. Fantastic, and it's raw.

Paddy54 likes this.
  13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice coin. Small letter variety. $225 to $250.

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A very nice coin and difficult to find. Values do not move up or down much so they hold their own. If the cut on the lip bothers you, just ask yourself what the other guy looks like? You don't mess with Lady Liberty! :smug:

phankins11 likes this.
  15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Nice looking. I think it's a low end XF45. Prices on these are wild. XF45 goes from around $360 to around $575 based on quality and eye appeal. I'd put this at around the $360 mark.

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The large letter yes, The small letter no.

17. Jaelus

The large letters I would start at 575 for a nice 45.

18. olero

olero Active Member

Thanks guys, I jumped on it and got it for what I thought was a fair price. And I needed it for my type set. I will probably never see the money again. I am a collector not an investor.

19. Jaelus

Are you just going for one small cbq for type or are you doing the small cbq types?

The small letters '31s are their own type. Based on my research, the '31 small letters were indeed struck in '31, but the '31 large letters were struck in '32 with a one year lag on the dates continuing through 1835. All types after that are also large letters, but there was also a type change at the end of '33 that stayed through the beginning of '34 that is listed as FS-901 or O/F. This was a change to a different reverse type to mirror a shield stripe change on other denominations, but it was eventually reverted. There's also a different proof reverse that is used on some varieties in '34 and '35 but it's not officially listed as a type.

NSP likes this.
  20. olero

olero Active Member

Wow! That was a lot of information. Thanks

I was only needing one for a type set I started a long time ago. This was best example that I could afford without breaking the bank.

Now all I need is a nice Seated Dollar that I can afford and my set will be complete. Except for a few things I would like to upgrade.

21. Jaelus

Nice selection. That '31 small letters is the first officially recognized type of the first year. Tough to find nice XFs or better also. Bust quarters are scarce. You have one of the large ones for type?

Draft saved Draft deleted