Capped bust half dollar question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Derrick Combs, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Derrick Combs

Derrick Combs Well-Known Member

Found this coin in an auction. Not interested in buying it but trying to learn something about it. I'm wondering why in the obverse picture, the rims look uneven? I've seen coin pictures of these with uneven rims like this before. I'm thinking otherwise the coin looks legit? I'm new to the older coins like this and just trying to learn more. Is it just from more wear on the one side? Were the coins made this way? Or is this fake? Screenshot_20210114-080502_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20210114-080514_eBay.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

If that were a modern coin, I would say you had a slightly misaligned die strike. Looking forward to seeing what others enlighten us with.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  4. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Randy is correct. Slightly misaligned obverse die. The rim on the reverse is caused by die--not coin--wear.
    Interesting side note to the O-110 die marriage. It was actually struck in 1836--AFTER the 1836 O-104.

5. Derrick Combs

Ok I had seen others from sellers i know were definitely not selling a fake. Figured I should learn this one before I made a wrong choice. I'll never forget the days of learning what a cleaned Morgan looks like lol. But I learned that one quick... I think the seller called this an O-110 R3

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

And it does not help that bust halves were struck with an open collar. I suspect if you carefully measured this coin, it would not be perfectly round.

johnmilton and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a slight MAD and she's a beauty.

8. Derrick Combs

I was kind of fond of its look too!

9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Nice looking coin. Thanks

10. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

great looking coin, good job.