Canyon City Coins on eBay?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Publius2, Jan 31, 2022.

1. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know anything about this dealer? One of my fellow Local Coin Club members asked me to look over his listings and give him some thoughts, which I've done but I don't know anything about the dealer. He's been on eBay for a long time and has no negatives.

AdamL likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

He has received plenty of negative feedbacks. He used to have them revised, now they're just deleted. He has been outed on CCF several times for juiced photos where the coin looks nothing like the images and even removed a scratch from an image of a coin.
    Someone posted once that they had luck with coins from the canyon but I've seen far more reports of issues.
    https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=396359&SearchTerms=canyon,city
    https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=407819&SearchTerms=canyon,city
    https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=403934&SearchTerms=canyon,city

However, there are plenty of satisfied customers, I've only seen one positive about this seller on any coin forum.....

fretboard, Cheech9712 and serafino like this.
  4. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

5. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I just came across this thread from a few weeks ago. I have purchased one coin from them and have been considering bidding again. But I decided to do some looking around on the internet about them first. And I'm still undecided.

I saw the threads posted above, and also one more which gave me the most pause about making another purchase.https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1066882/canyon-city-coin-on-ebay
    The fact that he says coins looked ok to him but came back details worries me.
    This seller's photos do not accurately depict the color/luster of the coin. I'll post the seller's pictures of my coin along with a quick one I snapped right after opening the package. I might try to add better pics later after I remove it from the flip.

The reason I wasn't bothered much by how different it looked in the photos is because it is still a great looking coin. My own pics do not do the luster justice.
    It DOES seem to be as free of (or even better) contact marks as it appeared in sellers photos. It's a very clean Walker.

My initial impression is that it should straight grade as gem+ coin. But the post from the other forum about his coins that he thought were problem free coming back details, it worries me. Looking at it from just the right angle with my loupe, there is something about the surface in the field above "In God We Trust".
    But I could just be second guessing myself after reading someone else's bad experience.

Oh, and I'd like to add that some dates are going for crazy money for raw coins. I hope they're not problem coins, for the sake of the people who bought them. If they are in fact cleaned, this would be deceptive marketing.

6. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Here is seller's pics and my own to show you how different the look of it is. I will try to get better closeup pictures a little bit later. s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg IMG_4051.jpg

MIGuy and Tater like this.
  7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

GH#75, MIGuy and AdamL like this.
  8. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Cheech9712, GH#75 and AdamL like this.
  9. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I took some more pictures, best I can do with my phone. You can see the obvious difference I got when the flash was on versus off. Whatever they're doing is clearly intentional since all the coins have that same look.

That being said, I'm going to include this coin in my first submission to NGC in a few months, and I think I'll refrain from judging them too harshly until then..
    IMG_4174.jpg IMG_4166.jpg IMG_4172.jpg IMG_4168.jpg

GH#75 likes this.
  10. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

So what's your gut telling you? How does it look in hand verse other coins that you own?

11. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I just took another look with my loupe and I really think this is an MS65 coin, even 66 maybe.
    I don't see a problem at all.
    I'm probably going to stop by a coin shop on Tuesday or Thursday, so I think I'll take the coin and ask the coin dealer for his opinion.

Edited to add some info.
    It came with a little clear sticker over the opening of the flip which said to inspect and approve before accepting. And they do accept returns. And I accepted it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    MIGuy likes this.
  12. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

I've been bidding and never winning. The prices can be astronomical. What I want to know is: where does he get this endless supply of spectacular coins??

Thanks for the recon, Adam. Looks great from here.

MIGuy and AdamL like this.
  13. Marsden

Marsden Well-Known Member

Yeah I've noticed that major players on eBay can have feedback they don't like removed. Not a good look, as they say.

14. mark v

mark v Junior Member

I have wondered the same thing.

AdamL likes this.
  15. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Where does he get them? He cracks them out of "details" slabs.

Just make sure you are proficient at spotting over dipped, hairlines, and artificial/accelerated toning.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Is the raised bump on the sun in their photo also on your coin? Jim

Cheech9712 likes this.
  17. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

It's more like discoloration. Not raised at all.

18. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I'll bring you guys fully up to speed on the situation. I decided I'd go ahead and be a guinea pig in an experiment. I got an email earlier this evening saying my package that arrived at NGC's facility Thursday is now been officially received. I wasn't planning to make my first submission until after my brothers and I finished dividing up some CC Morgans we inherited from dad, which will be a few months until we all get together. But I was too curious to wait.

If you ask me to be the grader, I'm calling the coin above an MS66. And I'll accept the egg on my face if it comes back details. If that's the case it will be worth it to share that experience with anyone who has wondered about the seller's coins, because I know a lot of people have.

Furthermore, I bought one more coin from them. Exact same date. When I was bidding weeks ago it just seemed like the 1935's were being overlooked. A lot of the dates from the 40's that aren't any better were bringing more money, and I already have nice slabbed examples of those. I figured if they both straight grade I'll sell the lower one. And come out slightly ahead of where I'd been if I just bought a 66. But part of my motivation was really just to have a larger sample size for this little experiment, as I call it, and it will be a learning experience no matter how it turns out.

The second coin I won, after posting about the first one last month, isn't quite as nice in my opinion. Unfortunately all I have is the seller's pictures. I don't know what else to say about it since I don't have it in hand to jog my memory.

I'm going to try not to over analyze it or speculate too much and just patiently wait for NGC's opinion. They're estimating 29 business days for U.S. coins on the economy tier. We'll see.
    Oh, and here's Canyon City's pics of coin #2
    s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Cheech9712 and Marsden like this.
  19. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

At the moment I won't add much commentary. Just before and after pictures. Anyone interested can draw their own conclusions.

Description: *1935-P* SUPERB+ GEM BU WALKING LIBERTY HALF DOLLAR FRESH FROM ORIGINAL ROLL
    Seller's pics followed by coin after slabbing:
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg 4679552_Full_Obv.jpg

Now for coin #2
    Description: *1935-P* SOLID GEM BU WALKING LIBERTY HALF DOLLAR FRESH FROM ORIGINAL ROLL
    Seller's photos followed by slabbed coin:
    s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg 4679558_Full_Obv.jpg

MIGuy, Cheech9712, GH#75 and 2 others like this.
  20. Jinkinz

Jinkinz New Member

Wow thanks for sharing. I've bought a couple of Walking Liberty half dollars from this seller. I was interested in your results after I came across this post after researching online about this seller. I'll have to go back and look more critically at the coins I bought from them. I thought the first one might be an MS-65 and the second one looked like an MS-63 because you can see through the distracting and artificial lighting and see quite a few marks.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    Cheech9712 and AdamL like this.
  21. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Though the grade may be disappointing the coin is still sharp and good looking. Just shows how photos can hide imperfections. Reason why I hate buying online and prefer looking at something in hand before I buy it. With all of the returns that my wife makes me do from her amazon addictions you'd think she would have learned this lesson too.

Cheech9712, Marsden and AdamL like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted