Can't find this coin...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TheKingNerd, Jul 25, 2017.

1. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

what is the size of your coin in millimeters ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

The Krause SCWC catalog(s) is(are) a great ID resource, but I would trust the real world accuracy of the "prices" quoted less than I would trust the accuracy of the prices in a Redbook. Mainly, in the real world, only those in very limited situations would ever pay the sort of top-dollar brick-and-mortar-store prices you see listed. If they had it and you could order it, I'd expect to see Littleton charge that sort of price. In the actual marketplace, however, a rational "retail" price is probably on the order of 1/2 of what you see in the SCWC's - unless, it's vastly out of date (it happens) and the actual market price has, for whatever reason, exceeded the printed values. IOW, I wouldn't trust these prices any more than I'd trust any other set of published prices to be an accurate picture of what things actually sell for.
    All that said, that's in exceptionally nice condition - the early Russian minors were typically circulated to death so higher grade specimens can be tough to find. So in this case therefore might be trading closer to the published prices - the Russians, who only relatively recently have been legally allowed to collect and trade in coins, seem to have been madly buying-up everything in sight

The point is you need to check and see what people are paying in the actual marketplace before you crack the champagne or quit your day job on the basis of what you see in a huge catalog.

4. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

The Russians had a long-standing practice of creating official copies of their own rare types. Called "Novodels", they typically predate the Soviet era, and many of them sell for as much or more than the original coins they copy and/or are the only way they are available. The Siberian 1 rouble in copper is an example - more like a piece of tableware than a coin in size, I believe the novodels were created because none of the originals were even known to exist at the time the novodels were created.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would agree with half of that on values. high mintage coins the value might be right on. now when talking about rarer scarcer coins in high grade I would agree 100% that values will always be way higher in real market values. I have also known a couple coins in my collection that have small values in the catalog, but in reality the value is way higher due to never seeing them on the market to buy.

6. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. TheKingNerd

TheKingNerd Member

based on what you said about them being huge, this might be a novodel
    it's like 40 g and 2.5 inches wide
    those are rough estimates

ACoinJob likes this.
  8. ACoinJob

Saw a program on tv the other day they mixed silver with gold called something like Electrold, or something.
    It was interesting.

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Be careful with the word "novodel" as people inaccurately use this word to describe modern fakes like the one in the original post.

Dangerous thinking. Everything gets faked, even modern Chinese yuan coins with mintage in the hundreds of millions and face value equal to less than 12 cents US.

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

for that time period ?

11. Numismat

Especially older coins like that.

12. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Your avatar crown is a bit different :D The piece is likely a reproduction - the details and rims are very sharp for a 262 year old coin - good luck with your research!

spirityoda likes this.
  13. ACoinJob

I hope I don't get in trouble for posting pics of World Book of Coins 1701 - 1800, but it's 2009 info here. Hope this helps. Yours happens to have the designers initials CMB looking characters on the front under Elizabeth bust, where the books' doesn't. Doesn't mean it's a copy. Could be a cracked die error, notice the bulging raised copper to the rim???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  14. TheKingNerd

TheKingNerd Member

ACoinJob likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It looks SIMILAR to Pn4 (which is a pattern not a coin) but the head is not as well executed and the legend inscription on the obverse is different, plus the characters below the bust on the OP coin are not on the pattern. I still maintain it is a fantasy.

16. ACoinJob

Yours bears the St.Petersburg Mintmark, and weighs 4.0 grams. The info I included was a price list from 2009.

Attached Files:

17. ACoinJob

There's a specific spot for the Novadels, and I can zap you a quick picture of it some how. Ask, and ye shall receive. If it's a pattern coin it would mention it somewhere, but pretty sure it was minted in St.Petersburg.

18. Numismat

You guys are kind of overthinking it.

1. Novodels are the same size as the original coin they are replicating.

2. The "coin" at the beginning of this post is a modern and unofficially manufactured piece. Based on the comically large size you mention, it's not even trying to convince anyone that it's an official coin.

Stevearino likes this.
  19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This. Sorry, but the coin in the OP is a crude modern fake. It's not even a novodel.

Numismat likes this.
  20. TheKingNerd

TheKingNerd Member

dang
    so worth nothing
    oh well
    thanks guys

21. I realize it's darned near a year later, but may I inquire as to what you finally did with your questionable
    ¿… 1755 Russian Catherine 1•Kopeck …?
    I perhaps might be interested for a gift to a good friend of Russian heritage.

Draft saved Draft deleted