Can't Believe Premiums For 70 Coins vs. 69 Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GoldFinger1969, Nov 22, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I got a great deal on 2 of the 5-ounces at FUN; one was a 70 and one was a 69. Dealers were desperate to ditch stuff on Saturday and Sunday.

Ebay and 70's are ridiculous. I see flexibility on GC and occasionally HA when they show up there.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That should be obvious. Why do some people get a steak instead of ground beef, 20 year old scotch instead of 5 year old etc. People generally get the best they like that they can afford

4. GoldFinger1969

Steak vs. Ground Beef, I get. A 70 vs. 65 or 66, I get.

But you REALLY pay up as you go from 65 (usually barely above spot) to 69 to 70. In fact, I think on the 5-ouncers I have only seen 1 or 2 below 69 in the last year.

It just seems like the price really goes parabolic for that 70 level....and my understanding is even with the 5-ouncers -- where it is EASY to see blemishes on the large-sized coin -- there are plenty that make the grade.

5. baseball21

You really pay up from a burger to a steak too. You really pay up for a sunroof in a car, you really pay up for first class on an airline.

Should Cohen ignore DJ or Bauer because he’d have to pay up and go for the cheaper not as good guy?

It’s all the same concept. People that like them and can afford them buy them

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  6. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

When did markets start acting rationally?

Mainebill likes this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

Not sure, I'll ask Alan "Irrational Exubberance" Greenspan next time I interview with hiim. :D

8. longnine009

Or John (Mississippi Man) Law. They're probably hanging out together in Starbucks somewhere.

9. MK Ultra

MK Ultra Well-Known Member

Well there is the part about registry points.

10. longnine009

IMO, Trying to discern between MS-69 and MS-70 isn't even the tail wagging the dog. It's a flea wagging the tail that's wagging the dog.

Is that much different than "chasing yield" on wallstreet?

I'll pass on both. There's too much opportunity in Exo and World.

onecenter, Mainebill and mlov43 like this.
  11. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

PREcisely!

longnine009 likes this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’m all set with any. You show me a ms or proof 69 19th c coin and there you have a stunner well worth the money otherwise yawn.

13. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

70’s can be worth more than 69’s due to pop scarcity in 70 and demand. In understanding how mods are priced you need to understand pop and the issue.

At very least I would price a 70 at least 25-50% higher than 69. Sold many 70 at even much higher than that (really low pop). On the surface seems insane but look at some of the huge premiums on stickered coins. Key to proper retail pricing is understanding the issue, it’s market demand structure, and how it’s priced.

Like deer in the headlights encounter know it all tire kickers at shows not cognizant of market dynamics. Many don’t even know how to grade lol.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    GoldFinger1969 and WLH22 like this.
  14. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Some 70s go for 50% above a 69?
    And they sell for that...?

I believe you, I just have to say, that is incredible.

15. baseball21

Some go for way more than that other the premium is pretty minimal

GoldFinger1969 and mlov43 like this.
  16. GoldFinger1969

Thanks, Derek, I think you are spot-on....pop scarcity and demand seem like the key.

Some private issue commemoratives with very low pop go for 500-600% premium to underlying metal content in PF70 condition. It drops to 300-500% premium for MS69.

Draft saved Draft deleted