CANCoinHunter's Coin roll Hunting Log

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by CANCoinHunter, Jun 9, 2012.

1. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Hey everyone! Just signed up for the forums and have enjoyed reading everyone's finds and updates so far. Thought I would create a thread so I could add to the fun :). From the beginning of May I have been keeping very detailed statistics from my penny and nickel sorts. I won't post them all here, but will start with my June finds, which includes dime boxes as well :). May was actually a very good month for me. If you're interested in seeing how these boxes went, I have posted the statistics on my website at http://canadacoinhunting.blogspot.ca/. Here you will find detailed numbers, charts, and graphs of the weekly hunts! If you prefer a visual explanation, I have posted all of these results from the boxes on youtube as well at http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadaCoinHunting. Any feedback would be appreciated.

This weekend I went to my bank and picked up two boxes of pennies, a box of nickels, and a box of dimes. Have not yet sorted through them but will most likely do so tomorrow. Once I get through them I will post the results up! I tend to coin roll hunt through multiple boxes a week, so will definitely have lots of updates for you guys, complete with pictures and videos :).

I couldn't help myself and looked through a few dimes rolls already, but nothing of value to report. Seemed to be a 12-sided nickel in one of the faces of the rolls in this nickel box, so I know there are some old ones waiting to be picked up ;). Hopefully there will be more where that came from haha. Look forward to the ongoing updates for you guys. Hope you enjoy them!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Atreides

Atreides New Member

I've been curious about CRHing in Canada for a while now, so this is interesting to me.

A few questions:

1) What kind of results do you see with quarters and dimes, typically? (like how many silvers per box, etc)
    2) Can banks up there order CD Halves?
    3) What do you look for when you search nickels? 12-sided, chrome/tombac, and older ones?
    4) I thought I heard that the Canadian government had embarked on an "alloy reclamation" project. Do you often find that the 99% CU or 99% Ni coins have already been removed from circulation?

I think I would enjoy searching Canadian Dimes or Quarters. I know you wouldn't be able to edge search like with US coins, but I bet you could really speed things along with a magnet lol

4. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Hey Atreides, thanks for stopping by. Good questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can.

1) For quarters and dimes, I'm really just getting started with searching through these denominations. Actually, this week was my first ever dime box that I CRH'ed. Have not done a box of quarters yet. Been through about half the box of dimes so far and nothing of value. Going to keep ordering more though, so I can give a better answer in a few weeks. From what I've heard/seen from others though, dimes can be pretty sparse. Quarters even more so. Their out there though, so I'll keep looking ;).
    2) Unfortunately we can't get banks to order us halves. Real bummer lol.
    3) For nickels I am mostly looking for nickels with 99.9% nickel composition. These are the most common ones with value. I do keep all 12-sided ones, chromes/tombac, and any older one I find. These are kept separate from the larger hoard though. I have videos and pictures of them on my youtube channel and site.
    4) You're right, the Canadian government is quite the coin roll hunting enthusiasts as well. They've done a good job picking through are nickels, dimes, and quarters. With that said, we do find quite a few copper and nickel coins with that composition. Just the other day we had a box with 86% copper pennies and a nickel box with 12% nickel nickels (knock one wood). This makes from some interesting videos :). Our average is about 40% for the copper pennies, and 10% for the nickel nickels.

Thanks again for stopping by. I certainly do like your magnet idea ;) haha.

5. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

I have search about 50 rolls of quarters while visiting Canada in the last couple of months. I found one silver in a cwr and a bunch of the newer colored coins. I noticed that most of the coins were from the 2000's. Very few older coins with nickel in them. It is obvious to me that they are getting picked out. My sample is small though.

6. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

That sounds about right jensen. Those newer colored coins are really quite ugly aren't they :p (in my opinion). They have been picking out the quarters and dimes for some time, even the nickels. To be honest though, if I could average one silver quarter for every fifty rolls, that would be more than enough to keep me going. Will have to see how the dimes play out.

As for an update, I finished sorting through my boxes this week. Overall not too bad. Will post how I did once I am done with work today and can go through the finds again :).

7. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Hey guys, here are the results from this weekends coin roll hunting search. Didn't do too badly. Here's how I did this week:

Canadian Penny Box #1
    - 1051 Copper Pennies (42.04%)

Canadian Penny Box #2
    - 1028 Copper Pennies (41.12%

Total King George Pennies (13): 38 (very nice looking), 40, 40, 41, 41, 42, 43, 44, 44, 45, 48, 51, 51
    Total Wheat Pennies (3): 44D, 55, 58D
    Total Dimes: Four (always find a couple of dimes each week)

Canadian Nickel Box
    - 123 99.9% Nickels (ranging from 1963 to 1981)
    - One American nickel with a possible strike error

Total 12-Sides Nickels (5): 47 (King George the VI), 61, 61, 62, 62
    Foreign Coins (1): 2000 Bermuda Nickel

Canadian Dime Box
    - Skunk

Hope to have more luck with the dimes next week. Had a great week for Kings. Fairly average for nickels as well. I put some pictures up on my website at http://www.canadacoinhunting.blogspot.com. Also got some videos of the hunt at http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadaCoinHunting. I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if the nickel looks like a strike error (I know very little about strike errors, don't come across them much). That video will be up shortly, YouTube was having a few errors when I first tried uploading it. All weekly updates I post here will have pictures and videos on these sites :). Hope you guys and girls enjoy following :)

8. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Thought you guys might want to see the nickel in question so I've included a picture. As well, here is a picture of the King George pennies I picked up :). Possible strike error?

Attached Files:

9. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Have pretty much come to the conclusion that this isn't a strike error. Most likely just post-mint damage.

Couple more days until the hunting resumes. Getting excited already ;). Keep my fingers crossed for a silver dime! Will post it up in this thread if I find it of course :).

10. jensenbay

I will be in Canada again this weekend. Will let you know what I find in quarters, if I remember.

11. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Awesome jensen, be sure to let me know how you do :). Hoping you can get a few!

12. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Okay guys so was back to it with some coin roll hunting this weekend. Unfortunately the bank didn't have any pennies to complete my order (just told me they "didn't have them"), but got one box of Canadian dimes and a box of Canadian nickels. Didn't do too badly, not the best week by any means, especially without the pennies, but I'll take it! Here is how I did:

Canadian Nickel Box
    - 145 99.9% Nickels (last 10 rolls were all skunks, so definitely started out strong!)
    - Five 12-Sided Nickels: 53, 60, 60, 60, 62
    - One really nice 1968 that I kept to the side
    - One 25 Cent Coin from Venezuela (first time I have ever come across this coin)

Canadian Dime Box
    - Skunk
    - Did however find six 1968 dimes, however none of them were 50%.

So there are the finds guys and girls. Thought I might have had some silver this week, but turned out they were nickel. Still looking for that first silver coin! Will be getting another dime box early this week most likely, I'm a man on a mission! haha Will have some pictures up soon, and as always, can check the pictures and videos out at my sites if you're interested :).

13. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

I was just watching a video and you guy said that they weren't delivering pennies I believe to the bank in September. What do you mean by that? Does it mean you will not be able to pick up boxes?

Also got 6 boxes of pennies and has Friday, Saturday and Sunday to do them all and I just finished. 3 Boxes of Copper! For a F-12 1930 and a very nice 1936 and a bunch of wheats and king George.

14. jensenbay

I looked through $140 in quarters, 14 rolls, from 3 different banks. I found one nickel, one 1977 Swedish Krone, 8 US quarters, and 7 colored quarters. More than 90% were from the 2000's, very few of nickel composition.

15. Atreides

Atreides New Member

Jeez, that sounds more depressing than US Quarter searching :(

16. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Hey Tristen, thanks for watching and thanks for the question. We mentioned that because there are rumors that Canadian banks won't be ordering any more pennies now that the penny is done. Not exactly sure if this will be true or if they'll continue ordering them for a while after. We're planning on not being able to order them once September comes along (the Canadian government mentioned the phase out will come in the fall), so we have been increasing our order. Awesome finds by the way! :) Keep me posted on what you're pulling out if you can.

Jensen, thanks for the update. It is a tough world out there when it comes to coin roll hunting for silver up here. We are going pretty hard on the dimes right now still though. Hopefully it'll pay off at some point :). I agree with you there Atreides

17. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

I bet you they will still be delivered but you wil need a business account to get the boxes. =) I am sure they will still get rolls from people who walk in a form boxes for people like us. If it sadly comes to that I will probably just search nickels.

18. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

Yesterday got a box of nickels. Up $10.40 and that all profit. Though I had a roll which was all corroded but at least it had all pre eighty-twos! Got 2 boxes of pennies. Had to pay an extra dollar a box. I think I will got to another bank to make my other orders for a while because they had to order those ones. Hoping for the best since I paid a dollar more than face for every box.

19. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

Had some fun today. Made a pyramid. Forget the 2007 date.
    100_2711.jpg

20. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Nice Tristen, congrats on all the nickel finds! Have yet to get a roll that was all pre-1982's! The nickels are still out there ;). Oh, and as you pretty much already hinted at, get those boxes from another bank, or talk to them about waving that $1.00 fee. The fees are B.S. No need to pay them, just cutting into your profits. I wrote a fairly lengthy article on bank fees for boxes on my blog if you want to check it out. Keep it up :).

Just got finished coin roll hunting a few boxes guys, so going to add up the totals and take some pictures/videos and will be back to update! :)

21. CANCoinHunter

CANCoinHunter New Member

Alright guys so I just got done with adding up the totals for my finds this weekend. All in all it was a pretty good weekend :). You'll notice that I was able to get the pennies this weekend to complete my order, so it was nice to get coin roll hunting through some copper again. Here is how I did:

Canadian Dime Box
    - Skunk

Canadian Nickel Box
    - 176 99.9% Nickels
    - One 12-Sided Nickel: 61
    - Two Pre-1960 American Nickels: 56, 59

Canadian Penny Box #1
    - 1169 Copper Pennies (46.76%)
    - Four American 1982 Pennies
    - One Dime
    - Two 2009 American Pennies

Canadian Penny Box #2
    - 2187 Copper Pennies (87.46%)
    - Two American 1982 Pennies
    - Two Foreign Coins

Seventeen (17) Total Wheat Pennies: 19, 37, 41, 41, 45, 45, 46, 47D, 50, 50D, 53D, 55, 55, 55D, 56D, 56D, 57D
    Sixteen (16) Total King George Pennies: 40, 40, 41, 42, 45, 45, 45, 46, 46, 47, 47, 50, 50, 51, 52, 52

This is most likely our best Wheat Penny and King George Penny week since we began coin roll hunting. Definitely since we have been keeping full statistics of our finds. Still looking for our first silver dime find, hopefully we’ll breakthrough next week ;). Make sure to keep checking the blog through out the week with more updates and pictures. Thanks for reading!

Draft saved Draft deleted