Canadian silver quarters and half dollars.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by GUNNER63736, Nov 21, 2017.

1. GUNNER63736

GUNNER63736 Well-Known Member

Ok, here I go. I am 68 and have just gotten back into collecting coins. You will probably get pestered some by me since I found this forum. Seems like a great collectors site with good activity. I digress. Due to money restraints in my old age I am mostly just collecting circulated silver U.S. coinage. Can't afford the real high dollar stuff, not complaining because I am blessed, but I sure am enjoying my searches. I was just wondering if the circulated 92.5% silver content 1870 to 1909 Canadian silver quarters and half dollars are worth messing with or should I just stick with the U.S coins? I have never held nor seen one of these coins in person. I must admit I do most of my searching on the huge internet auction site. I like the looks of these coins and thought I may add a few to the collection just for the fun of it. What ya think? Thanks much for your input. Mike in Missouri

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Collect what you like :)
    I prefer world silver vs US silver due to designs and affordability.
    Also, welcome and can't wait to see what you end up collecting.

4. GUNNER63736

Thank you. Yep, I will probably get one of each of the Canadian quarters and half dollars just to test the waters. My collection has no specific goal to it. I think I enjoy the randomness of the way I am doing it. Keeps me from getting bogged down with organization and common sense. LOL.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I started out focusing on US coins but have since bounced all over the world. Too many pretty shiny coins to stick to just one thing haha.

6. GUNNER63736

I am indeed starting to find that out.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

8. GUNNER63736

I just ran over to the auction site (don't know if I can mention it here, still learning) and picked up a Canadian 1943 Silver dime for $1.80 shipped just for grins and giggles. Just average circulated it looks to me. Just wondering, could you point me in the right direction of countries I should consider for adding to the collection? See, I told you I would probably be a pest.

9. GUNNER63736

Thanks much guys. I hope to be an asset. Mike in Missouri

10. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I personally like Canadian coins, and a lot of them can be had for around the silver value. You'll find practically any other country's coins are more affordable than U.S. coins are. It's one of the things that got me interested in world coins to begin with, but not the only thing. And don't worry, you can mention eBay. The only thing you really can't do is make offers to sell your coins on the discussion boards.

11. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Great Britain, British Empire Coinage, Mexico, Australia, and France come to mind as popular collecting countries that have neat old coins that can be had for thrifty prices....many more also.

Galen59 likes this.
  12. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

I love Canadian coin, I Love foreign coin , but by god they are hard to sell, easy to buy? makes no mind to me, I pay less for sterling, .925 ,than American .900. try an figure?

13. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

most Empire pre 1920, excpt. Australia 1945 and earlier

14. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Sterling does trade at a discount to 90% and .999. I understand that refiners prefer U.S. silver that they know the composition of. Some coinage that includes precious metals may also contain more than one base metal, complicating the refining process.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  15. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Draft saved Draft deleted