Canadian Ships Colonies & Commerce Token

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by TheNickelGuy, Oct 16, 2012.

1. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I believe this to be Breton 997 but there are 40 different varieties for this particular token from what I have read. I think that I can see an H on the bottom line under the ship to the right but not a second and the & does not have a bar. I could be wrong. Can anyone attribute this variety more specifically please? I am sure it must be the most common of this type token. Also I think it was minted in 1830 or later but do not know exact year. I wonder how many were made, what is the estimate of surviving pieces and any other information would be appreciated. I have gone bonkers on Canadian copper tokens lately.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

4. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

Thank you kindly. I might just buy that book.

5. SPP Ottawa

SPP Ottawa Numismatist

I cannot see the details of your coin, but it is in the PE10-28 to PE10-32 group. Are any of the reverse letters double cut, or missing serifs??

6. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I'll take a look tonight when I add a new aquisution to my set of tokens. Thanks.

7. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I saw no double cut letters or missing serifs as far as I can tell.
    The middle E in Commerce appears to be a little funny shaped and imperfect along the left side of the pillar of the E and one of the serifs looks a bit funky.

8. TheNickelGuy

TheNickelGuy Yippie I Oh

I just got this very worn example but I feel it was cheap enough. I think it is most likely the US flag variety since everything appears to be the same as others I have seen but I cannot see details in the flag at the front of the ship. The way that the two flags are shaped and all the sails and lines are the same tho as US flag variety.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What is the Breton number for this one please and is it indeed the US flag type Mr Wizard aka SPP Ottawa?

9. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

One of my latest token. I have no clue which variety it is. 10978557_10205881750393467_2098664667407358110_n.jpg 10988533_10205881750313465_8207094233351002529_n.jpg

jlesliec likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted