Canadian Paper Currency

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by FredJB, Nov 4, 2021.

1. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. techwriter

canada_newbrunswick_$1_peoplesbankofNB_1885_CH58514-02_face.jpg

One of my favorite Canadian notes.

4. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

5. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Thanks for that clarification! It made no sense to me that currency was "demonetized" when it was still being accepted by the Bank of Canada.

6. Notaphylic_C

Just to be clear: all the policy means is that no retailer (nor business) must accept the 4 denominations (but banks will). Few people try to pass on the $1 or $2 (as tips) and nobody will try to use the $1000 (which haven't been issued in 40 years). So the policy was aimed to encourage hoarders to remit the older $1/$2/$1000 notes. They currently come into banks (which exchange them at FV) & one enterprising collector has been getting lucky tapping into that cull. It would pretty crazy to deposit a $500 (worth $3000-$80,000 in VG as less than 40,000 were printed) so it's mostly $1000 (& the lower denoms) that get deposited at banks.

gsalexan likes this.
  7. MSL

MSL Active Member

8. techwriter

You know, this note just has it all!! A train, manufacturing, steamships, multiple languages with multiple denominations.
    canada_15Pence_1837_champlain-stlawrenceRR_face.jpg

9. Notaphylic_C

Wow! I've never seen a 3 denomination (50 Sous, 25 cents, 15 Pence) note before! The only thing I can remotely compare it to is this uniface colonial PS-1959 $2 (2 Piastres) from the St. Lawrence Bank & Lumber Co. (1837). It is doubtful that it is related since the $2.00 was printed by Underwood, Bald, Spencer & Hufty (a different co. than your 50 Sous). Here's some background info on the Champlain & St. Lawrence Rail Road one of the 1st rail roads in Canada.

10. techwriter

@Notaphylic_C , yep the St. Lawrence note is another really great note
    canada_1837_$1_StLawrenceBank-LumberCo_face.jpg

Bradley Trotter and Notaphylic_C like this.
  11. Notaphylic_C

Very rare & impressive colonial banknotes in amazing grades @techwriter. Never collected colonial, DoC, or Chartered. Simply focussed on BoC & this is about as good as it gets:
    A204149 crop.jpg A204149_R copy.jpg

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

@Notaphylic_C I'd sure like to own the French version of that particular note. There is no other person in all of history who has been on money for 86 years of their lifetime.

I own several Dominion and BoC notes, but my faves are the Charter Notes that were issued until 1943.

13. Notaphylic_C

"I own several Dominion and BoC notes, but my faves are the Charter Notes that were issued until 1943."
    @scottishmoney I've seen your Lady Patricia & I think some of your "faves" & believe you have more (from the depth of what you've posted).

Below are a couple of "toughies" though from much larger runs.
    The "Shirley Temple" $20 BC-9b (above) only had a paltry 800,000 run (2nd small seal). The "large seal" BC-9a (I own but have not posted) is actually scarcer (200,000 run) than the French version (BC-10 at 202,500) but demand for the "F" (French) version remains higher (as does BV). Of course the run size doesn't tell the whole story (whereas registries give a better picture).

The 'Un Dollar' BC-2 had a 15M run but I guess as the workhorse (plus a bad habit of pressing notes back in the day when folks started tucking these away), they're pretty scarce with the "Q" or in "Original."

Canada$1_BC2 copy.jpg
    BC6_$5_F169468_f crop.jpg The above French $5 'Cinq Dollars' (BC-6) had a 3M run & is pretty popular due to its BOE unfamiliar colour scheme (orange) along with the portrait of the Prince of Wales who abdicated.

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

15. Notaphylic_C

I've seldom seen Barclay's or the Dominion Bank Tens in such incredible high grade. Congrats!

16. Notaphylic_C

When it comes to Bank of Canada 1937 series, most collectors go for this one:
    BC-24a (P-61) with the Osborne Towers signature combo. 6,400,000 of these were released before the Gordon Towers signature began. But as the first signature, it has a high world demand (even though its nearly 13 times more common than the Z/D). BC-24a_$10_1937.jpeg

When it's actually this one, BC-24b Z/D last prefix (500,000) which is the truly scarce one & seldom seen in most collections. (9.5M of these Z/D have the 3rd Coyne Towers signatures). Few collectors caught the Gordon Towers & yet its about 60% the BV of the Osborne note:
    BC-24b_ZD_Ten_1937.jpeg
    BC-24b_ZD_Ten_1937._R.jpeg

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

canada11937dtl.jpg canada11937.jpg canada21937dtl (1).jpg canada21937.jpg canada201937dtl.jpg canada201937.jpg canada501937dtl (1).jpg canada501937.jpg

I put the specimen stamp on the images because BoC doesn't particularly care for people posting images of their notes if they think they will be reproduced. They really did have some attractive and modern designs with the 1935/1937 series.

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  18. techwriter

And direct from the Eric P. Newman auction:
    canada_18xx_$1_colonialbankofcanada_EPN_face.jpg

Notaphylic_C likes this.
  19. Notaphylic_C

20. techwriter

@Notaphylic_C , I had not encountered one for sale until this one showed up in the Newman auctions.

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Yeah and wallet sales are down and Fanny packs are in

Draft saved Draft deleted