Canadian large cent question.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Russell Boullion, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Russell Boullion

Russell Boullion New Member

Hi all. New to the forum. Thank you for having me. Can someone tell me which of the varieties listed in the screenshot of the ngc guide this coin is? I'm trying to settle a debate. Thank you for your help

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

4. Russell Boullion

I went there too. Let me ask you this. You would agree that it is definitely one of the 2 double punched varieties correct? At least according to the ICCS attribution?

5. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@Russell Boullion, welcome to CT. :happy:

I can't answer that question, but fortunately you've come to the right place! ;)

6. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

I'm not really sure what you are asking in the original post,but I think that you wanted to know which category of the NGC "guide" your falls under. Your coin would be, based only on the NGC specimen sheet, as a narrow nine, no mintmark.

If you look on Ebay, the 1859 Type 1 is known universally as a DP#1... the "type 2" is known as a DP 2. The last one on the specimen list is an 1859 9/8. There are hundreds of 1859 varieties, because the mint had to repunch letters and digits as the working does wore out. The 8 & 5 that ICCS noted are fairly common to find but, the more offset (how far apart the overpunch was mishit) ones are sometimes quite scarce.

Do not use the linked reference above. If you want to actually see and ID your specific coin, go to Haxny's 1859 site:
    https://www.vickycents.com/
    And you will see the more than 200 1859 varieties, even more if you take into count the marriage pairs. Just follow the content guide and track what your coin is .. start with the DP'd 8 and 5. You have a nice coin ... a real keeper and 1859 hunts can keep you occupied for a lifetime.

If you want to learn more about the 1859's (and possibly your coin), this is a better coinsite to use for Canadian stuff. Just do a "search" for 1859 and start leafing through all the threads: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=139

Oldhoopster, PlanoSteve and R_rabbit like this.
  7. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

:)
    Imho, thank you @Bill in Burl !
    Well said, I’ll definitely bookmark that one.

8. Russell Boullion

Bill
    Thank you so much for your well written response I will definitely do more research. I bought a collection of about 300 better silver and old copper bu mostly raw foreign coins from literally everywhere. Im going through and cataloging as Im going to have to sell most of them but I'm finding several that i think are im going to have to keep. This series being one of them as ill have a decent start on the set. Im digging the Russian and German 19th century stuff as well. Thank you and everyone else for the insight. Really means a lot.

R

Draft saved Draft deleted