Canadian Collectors (What grade would you assign?)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by heavycam.monstervam, Oct 20, 2016.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Hello, I have a coin in an old Anacs holder, that was graded some 25 years ago. What grade would you assign it nowadays???? IMAG2952_1.jpg IMAG1571_1.jpg IMAG2959_1.jpg IMAG2954_1.jpg IMAG2957_1.jpg IMAG2948_1.jpg IMAG2952_1.jpg IMAG1571_1.jpg IMAG2959_1.jpg IMAG2954_1.jpg IMAG2957_1.jpg IMAG2948_1.jpg View attachment 51

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That rim sure looks strange. Can you give us photos of the edge?

Chris

4. heavycam.monstervam

No, it's slabbed in an old white holder , which is probably why the rim looks off( optical contusion)

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Don't you mean cockamamie-eyed?:woot::woot:

Chris;)

6. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

It's nearly impossible to grade something off a computer screen once it gets above 60. I wouldn't even hazard a guess.

carpman98 likes this.
  7. heavycam.monstervam

Well, this ain't panning out.....
    I guess Canadians don't care about grade?

8. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

As Bill in Burl stated: "It's nearly impossible to grade something off a computer screen once it gets above 60. I wouldn't even hazard a guess." And that applies perfectly to this coin. The photography gives an odd impression of the cheek of Edward, as if there is slight wear. The toning would indicate an uncirculated coin, but I have also seen silver coins as low as EF in grade with similar toning. Based solely on the pictures provided, I wouldn't give this coin higher than AU-55.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  9. NAVY CHIEF

NAVY CHIEF Active Member

10. heavycam.monstervam

Edit to add:
    I guess YOU GUYS could care less about MY coins grade. Since you have no $ tied up into it. :facepalm: :bucktooth::hilarious:

Let's change gears then-

What's it worth ?????:woot::woot::woot:

11. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Appears to be clear rub, but still luster remaining. I'd go AU53/55 given those images. My opinion may change with better pictures.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  12. heavycam.monstervam

This coin, with the monster toning and extremely small diameter, was near impossible to image BTW, I need a usb microscope!!!
    I like the big chunks of silver, but for the price, I couldn't turn this one down

13. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

Like virtually all other TPGs, over the years ANACS has notoriously been all over the map for grading Canadian coins. Personally, I would never buy an ANACS-slabbed Canadian coin sight unseen. I have seen VG coins in EF holders, and I am not talking about ACG holders either. So what grade did ANACS give this one?

14. heavycam.monstervam

I didn't want to sway the judges, so to speak.
    So I was gonna wait on a few valid guesses, and I realize these are just guesses from you fine folks.
    Grade reveal shall be granted , when the admin sees it conducive to electrify thread

15. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

Seeing it is the pointed leaves variety, in AU it is about $30.00 and BU starts around $80.00 This site should provide you with most everything you may want or need to know. www.coinsandcanada.com

Eaglefawn likes this.
  16. heavycam.monstervam

Seems I should of done a poll:
    About half say AU
    Other half says BU
    Hmmmmmmmm:confused:

17. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

OOPS.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  18. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

I guess you should have done a poll.

19. heavycam.monstervam

Plus, when you think about it,
    I should've done a poll

20. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

The problem is the photos aren't good enough to tell. They only show enough detail to indicate that it is at least mid-AU. A poll isn't going to tell you any better than that.

21. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

Well, since others have given it a try, I'll try it, but it may be far off because the coin is not in-hand. You can't tell if there are rubs or scratches or if it's all on the plastic. I see a small amount of wear on both the Obv & Rev crowns jewels. I'll go AU-55, which would book about $80 .. so you should be able to buy one for about $50. You sure are awful anxious to get opinions/prices, but the coin isn't going to make you rich.

carpman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted