Canadian cents to watch for?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Jeepfreak81, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

So I've tried googling this, and searching the forum but I can't seem to nail down an answer or a good resource for Canadian cents. I do some CRH'ing and usually end up with some Canadian cents (not surprising as I live about an hour from Canada). I'd be curious to know what ones to keep a look out for. Sort of like how in the US cents I keep all Wheats, and look for common errors or varieties that might show up in circulation.

Can anyone point me to a good resource or help me out with what to be on the look out for?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

4. Jeepfreak81

Perfect, I'll check it out later, about to punch back in from lunch. Thanks!

5. midtncoin

midtncoin Well-Known Member

For me, the break point for Canadian cents/nickels is the 1953 transition from George VI to Elizabeth II. The George V/VI cents from '11 to '52 would be the equivalent of our Wheats. Most are worth only a few cents in bulk but there are a few better dates/varieties.

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Great question. I've been picking up some Canadian cents (sorting them out of bulk US coins). I keep all of the older Queen Elizabeth (1965? and earlier) but am not sure which are actually worth keeping.

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I keep all my Canadians for lack of anything better to do with them. I keep all 59 and back (just tried to make it close to LWC dates) in plastic tubes. I've only managed to fill 2 or 3 tubes in all my searches.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

furryfrog02 and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Use furrys link, but to the best of my knowledge there are only a few key dates from 1920 on.

10. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

Yeah, don't use my link. It just has different information, and is a different option... but pay no attention to it. o_O

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sorry about that, I just picked the first I saw.

DallasCoinsNThings likes this.
  12. Jeepfreak81

Don't worry, I checked em both out. :woot: I'll dive into each of them more, but both links look to have some good info.

13. John Reynolds

John Reynolds New Member

Post 1920 there are quite a few varieties that are worth noting. The 1929 high 9, the 1954, 1955 NSF, 1965 pointed 5 large beads to name a few. Coinsandcanada.com probably the best quick reference and if you want pick up a Charlton coin guide any issue in the late 60s should show decent price references.

Draft saved Draft deleted