Canadian Centennial Proof Set Value

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by TonyCoin, May 16, 2017.

  1. TonyCoin

    TonyCoin New Member

    I called my local coin shop about this Canadian Centennial proof set, 1867 to 1967. They said they aren't even taking it because the coins in it are only 80% silver and I'm wondering what's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

    Unless they are only concerned with metals value and nothing more than that?

    https://www.cointalk.com/media/canadian-centennial-proof-set.6332/
     
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest



    to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

    -jeffB Greshams LEO Moderator

    I think your local coin shop misunderstood you. The most common centennial proof sets just have the silver coins, and yeah, they aren't really in favor right now -- they're very, very common, and 80% silver isn't as popular as 90% US coin silver.

    But the set you posted includes the $20 gold coin, with over half an ounce of gold. A shop might try to lowball you, but they would not turn down .900-fine gold.

    Current metal value for the gold coin alone is somewhere around $640, I think. The rest probably contain $20 worth of silver, but no one will offer you that much for them.
     
  4. TonyCoin

    TonyCoin New Member

    Yeah, because I think the lady on the phone was trying to relay info to the expert (just a clerk). I found it odd that she just didn't forward the call to the expert or maybe he was busy.
     
  5. scottishmoney

    scottishmoney Воля або смерть

    At the time the set sold for C$35-40 or so. American collectors bought them and snuck them into the USA just to have the gold coin.
     
  6. cpm9ball

    cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

    A lot of dealers don't want to discuss buying or selling over the phone unless it is someone with whom they've had a long history. A face-to-face meeting is always the best option.

    Chris
     

Share This Page