Canadian Cent

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by PamR, May 28, 2023.

1. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

I like finding the Canadian cents because one member from Canada said they that are not circulating them as much. I know before someone says, it’s a cent!!
    IMG_6254.jpeg
    IMG_6255.jpeg

lardan, Laurie B and Collecting Nut like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yeah Canada stop making cents years ago. I think they’ve become very collectible since that happened.

PamR likes this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Canada stopped producing one cent coins in 2012.

PamR, tommyc03 and Spark1951 like this.
  5. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Large amount of Canadian coins as I did roll searching a few years ago. I saved all the ones 98 % copper, 1996 & before. About 15 pounds. Many back into 1940s.
    And even a couple rolls of AU 1997 up
    Syracuse NY area

PamR and lardan like this.
  6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@PamR …to add perspective: 76 years from now your 1999 Canadian Cent will be 100 years old. It is KM #289, composed of copper plated steel and appears to be in a grade approx. AU58RB.

MS60/NGC World Coin Guide list it for 10 cents USD…your coin is currently valued at 2-5 cents.

But if preserved in a flip at a minimum, in the year 2099 (a complete lifetime from now) it could be worth 10 to 20 times more. The Royal Canadian Mint pumped out over 1.089 billion of these. No telling now how many will survive or what their demand might be then…imo…Spark

PamR likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

That's a keeper in my book. First of all, Canada doesn't mint or use the cent any more, and it has the Queen on it, which is also gone.

PamR likes this.
  8. PamR

Yes I have found so many Canadian cents especially in dad’s pile that look pretty good. I’m keeping of course for my son.

9. PamR

Thanks. Not really worried of the value. I like the Canadian cent for its elegant appearances. Keep for my son and then in 99, who knows maybe my granddaughter will appreciate the beauty or just may sell all. No telling what will be used in 1999.

Spark1951 likes this.
  10. PamR

And thanks again!

11. PamR

And the Queen.. just nice looking cents. Thanks!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Copper-plated zinc, not steel. The 1999 P steel pennies were test coins, and were later sold for collectors in sets.

PamR and Spark1951 like this.
  13. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I sit corrected. I checked out the ‘99 (no mint mark) at Coins and Canada and saw what you meant. The mintage for the year lumps all the 3 types together.

The NGC World listing for the KM #289 says all are copper plated steel, as I now know is incorrect…. thanks for the nudge in the right direction…Spark

@PamR this info will help you as you find more Canadian coins. Be sure to bookmark “Coins and Canada” as a go-to resource.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
    PamR likes this.
  14. PamR

Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted